Subaru Alternative to the Subaru Honeywell

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back there was a thread on using the '09+ RX-8 filter instead of the Subaru Honeywell(FRAM) filter. It looks like the filter for the new Forester engine is the same as the RX-8 filter. Scroll down mid page.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mazda-rx-8-tokyo-roki-oil-filter-2-5gt-147113p6.html

I used my last Tokyo Roki the OC before last. I was given a couple of the Subaru OCOD filters. It took all the mental resolve I could muster to install one. It looks like there is an option direct from Subaru. I know the extra length won't be an issue on my '08 LGT.

Ed

If you mean a Honeywell filter, yes. When they first came out I cut one open along side the specified FRAM from Walmart. They are identical internally except for the bypass spring pressure. I'm not a fan of the construction of FRAM's bottom of the line filters.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
If you mean a Honeywell filter, yes. When they first came out I cut one open along side the specified FRAM from Walmart. They are identical internally except for the bypass spring pressure. I'm not a fan of the construction of FRAM's bottom of the line filters.

Ed

I cut one open about a year ago and it had metal end-caps. When they first came out, I recall that they had resin or fiber enc-caps. Is this what you noticed, too?

Yes, it was the standard FRAM filter cartridge with the fiber end caps. The FRAM and Subaru filter were one of the better ones in respect to pleat count and consistency that I've seen.

I think the Subaru filter that I have left is a little less than a year old. I'll cut it open tomorrow and report back.

Ed

Interesting, Mazda labels their canister filter as a cartridge filter.

The Mazda does look the same as the TR Subaru filter. I thought, based on postings here that the current Subaru OEM's were/are (now) Rank made Fram with engineered media endcaps. Something fitting about Fram by Rank.

Is the TR a metal endcap design?

I cut the Subaru 15208AA12A open. It's just a cheap FRAM. Fiber end caps and no seal between the ADBV and end cap. Exactly as seen here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1842711&page=1

I have noticed a bit of start-up rattle on two occasions with the BCOD on my car. I've never had that in 80K miles with the Tokyo Roki filters. I'm ordering a case of the 2012 Forester Tokyo Roki filters today. I'm glad this pile is going in the trash and not on my car.

Yes the TR has metal end caps. TR filters are the the best built oil filters that I have seen.

Ed

Last edited:
Can also use the filter for the FB25 in the 2011+ Foresters. Carries the same bypass spec, 23.2psid, little taller.

You just need to be sure you get the filter that ends in 160. That one is the same diameter as the 15208AA12A. There is a filter that ends in 130 for the FB25 NA that appears to be a short, fat filter. The diameter of that one is too large.

Ed

Baldwin makes lots of over size filters that fit the Subaru.
On my Honda S2000 I run a Baldwin that is over twice the size as the stock filter, and Baldwin does make good filters that can take the high oil pressure and flow of the Subaru.
Here are some pic's of my Baldwin filter with a Honda and Napa(Wix) filters.
http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/ad338/rrounds/Oil Filters/

ROD
P.S. If you have the room that B7042 has the same threads as the Subaru.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back