Subaru A/C Condenser

Just got my letter that some 17 & 18 Subaru AC condensers are bad. So they're checking the part numbers and replacing if necessary. We got the car used from family for a great deal, but the first thing I said to my wife when driving it after getting it was "this AC is stupid, you need to have the fan blasting on medium or high on an 80 degree day or it doesn't stay cool."

It's her car, so I don't get to drive it much, but in the summer when I do I've always felt the AC is a joke in it.

Here's to hoping ours is part of the replacement group! If it isn't, then it's one of the most underpowered AC systems in automotive history LOL

The AC in my 2006 WRX and our 2006 Outback are best described as mediocre.
That's my worry. My Corolla freezes me out when it's 100° on low speed. The Forester needs recirculation and medium to high fan settings continuously. I always thought it was just too big of a car for the system or something, so I'm hoping I'm part of the fix and it makes a difference.

Had the recall done today. New condenser installed. From dropoff to done about 1.5 hours. Including the car wash and interior vacuum. Air felt colder when I cranked it up, but it was also cloudy and 55°. Time and warm days will tell...

Subaru A/C systems can be best described as adequate. When its 90+ in mine, the A/C needs to be run at full blast, after a few minutes of driving it is adequate.

Subaru is not for folks that demand that their cars need never run A/C at full blast since the medium setting keeps it as cool or cooler than the driver wants the inside temperature to be.

Back