Subaru 5w30 / 1226 Miles / 2019 Subaru WRX STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sent in the factory fill at 1226 miles, I know the motor is still breaking in and the results match what I expected. Although I didn't expect it to shear in 1226 miles? Filled with PP Euro L and will sample again in 3000 miles.

[Linked Image]

Viscosity got a little low. Not a problem really unless you're racing on a hot day.
Molybdenum might be from assembly lube.
Normal break in metals and silicon. I changed my 2019 Tiguan out early for the same reason.
I like your choice of the slightly thicker, better Euro L 5w30. Funny that someone posted the other day about how a Jeep dealership accidentally put in the same Euro L 5w30 in his Jeep 2.0 turbo and he ran back to the dealership and made them change the oil again with "the right" HTHS 3.0 oil. (I think he should have just left the Euro L in there.)

factory lubes are blended at a price point by the lowest bidder meeting the specs, maybe a syn blend or conventional who knows. once break in is done a true synthetic is a best bet for sure!

Originally Posted by paoester

... I like your choice of the slightly thicker, better Euro L 5w30. Funny that someone posted the other day about how a Jeep dealership accidentally put in the same Euro L 5w30 in his Jeep 2.0 turbo and he ran back to the dealership and made them change the oil again with "the right" HTHS 3.0 oil. (I think he should have just left the Euro L in there.)

That other poster went back because the oil is not SN+ , and he was worried about LSPI. NOT because the oil was too thick ...

The factory fill Idemitsu is probably designed to shear to a 20 grade from the moment the car is started. In all of the years that I have been following Subaru uoa's, I don't recall seeing any Subaru specced for 5W-30 come back with the factory fill staying as a 30 grade. And that goes back to the N/A EJ's.

Originally Posted by geeman789
That other poster went back because the oil is not SN+ , and he was worried about LSPI. NOT because the oil was too thick ...
Euro L has a low 1600 ppm calcium, as was repeatedly pointed out in the Jeep thread. Odds are very low any LSPI would surface. The Jeep 2.0L Turbo (alfa romeo) and this Subaru WRX 2.0 turbo are very unlikely to have a problem. If there is still concern, you can add a half bottle of Rislone 3X Concentrated Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment or LM MOS2, as both are LSPI quenchers.

Euro L has a low 1600 ppm calcium, as was repeatedly pointed out in the Jeep thread. Odds are very low any LSPI would surface. The Jeep 2.0L Turbo (alfa romeo) and this Subaru WRX 2.0 turbo are very unlikely to have a problem. If there is still concern, you can add a half bottle of Rislone 3X Concentrated Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment or LM MOS2, as both are LSPI quenchers.

Being an STI, it still has the EJ25 which is port injected so it is not a TGDI. LSPI should not be an issue.

Euro L looks like a stout oil, I wouldnt worry using this oil.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Why would he want to add all that junk to a brand new engine?

You've never heard of Redline Break-In Additive? Some extra ZDDP is very common to use.
Or youv'e never heard of what engine builders have been doing for about 60 years.
Or Honda-Acura saying they like moly in new engines.
I thought all the 11,000 count posters knew that. Guess not.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by PimTac
Why would he want to add all that junk to a brand new engine?

This!
thumbsup2.gif

Yep, I don't get it. If you had a special racing engine built or something on that order then I would go by what the builder recommended but for a mass assembly everyday passenger vehicle? No way.

Another member once made a remark about my post count. I haven't seen him here lately, or maybe I just have?

Originally Posted by jbutch
Being an STI, it still has the EJ25 which is port injected so it is not a TGDI. LSPI should not be an issue.

Yep, you beat me to it! No LSPI to worry about.

Thanks, I figured I would attempt to see how a thicker 5w30 handles the EJ. Planning on running a few OCI to let the break-in materials wash out and determine a base line.

Originally Posted by c5z06

Yep, you beat me to it! No LSPI to worry about.

Thanks, I figured I would attempt to see how a thicker 5w30 handles the EJ. Planning on running a few OCI to let the break-in materials wash out and determine a base line.

I'm using Rotella's MV 5w-30 and it's very similar, had great results as well!

Forgive me, but what part of the LSPI (ringland killer) equation is directly tied to direct injection over port injection when the EJ25 is known to eat ringlands with observable LSPI in low speed high load conditions (can monitor it and it can't be tuned out)? Lower compression engines are going to lose their margin of safety in those low speed high load conditions...in my youth (2005 ish) I tried tuning that knock out and no amount of fuel or timing compensation would.....just had to adjust how to drive around those scenarios. I don't feel particularly concerned myself, knowing where that knock is, but I sure do feel a lot more comfortable knowing my oil shouldn't be contributing to it.

Last edited:
IIRC a lot of the ringland failures are attributed to high load / low rpm scenarios (WOT in too high of a gear at too low RPMs). Not nessicarily low speed preignition just insane pressure build up. A lot of times it was flooring it in 6th gear to pass on the highway without realizing (paying attention) they were sub 1500 RPMs.

Downshifting may have saved a lot of EJ25 lives.

Originally Posted by Scooby24

Forgive me, but what part of the LSPI (ringland killer) equation is directly tied to direct injection over port injection when the EJ25 is known to eat ringlands with observable LSPI in low speed high load conditions (can monitor it and it can't be tuned out)? Lower compression engines are going to lose their margin of safety in those low speed high load conditions...in my youth (2005 ish) I tried tuning that knock out and no amount of fuel or timing compensation would.....just had to adjust how to drive around those scenarios. I don't feel particularly concerned myself, knowing where that knock is, but I sure do feel a lot more comfortable knowing my oil shouldn't be contributing to it.

I don't think I know enough about LSPI after reading this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back