sub and receiver install

Installed a 10 inch sound ordnance subwoofer in the back of the jetta, along with a boss receiver with dedicated sub outputs and also android/apple carplay. I am still organizing wires in the back.

IMG_0213.JPG
IMG_0214.JPG

Its great with the tweeters and new pioneer speakers.

Head unit looks great like it belongs there.. sub is neat. I'd dress up the wires clean them up maybe wrap in black electrical tape so it has a more factory cabling look.

Head unit looks great like it belongs there.. sub is neat. I'd dress up the wires clean them up maybe wrap in black electrical tape so it has a more factory cabling look.
Yeah , I will wrap them, also hide them along factory wires.

What do you think of the Boss head unit? I've always been hesitant to go with the cheaper brands when it comes to that, but my last couple "name brand" head units (Pioneer especially) were very poor quality, and I think I could have done just as good going with a no-name brand and saved some money. Kenwood at least seems to be putting forth some effort, but aftermarket stereos seem to be largely outsourced to overseas companies, both in design and manufacturing these days. Not as much demand for them as there used to be.

The earlier pioneer head units were very customizable with eq settings, high pass low pass filters the works they were just a pain to navigate through. Hopefully the touch screen stuff is very fluid to sift through. I had a real basic dual with Bluetooth in my f-150 it was ok had simple controls and ran 2 prs of 5x7’s with ease.

Wow is the sub actually that thin? I was thinking you were installing a giant sub box.

What do you think of the Boss head unit? I've always been hesitant to go with the cheaper brands when it comes to that, but my last couple "name brand" head units (Pioneer especially) were very poor quality, and I think I could have done just as good going with a no-name brand and saved some money. Kenwood at least seems to be putting forth some effort, but aftermarket stereos seem to be largely outsourced to overseas companies, both in design and manufacturing these days. Not as much demand for them as there used to be.
Dude this head unit is AMAZING! I installed the same one also in the odyssey , and it made the stock speakers way better in the van. Unbelievable sound quality with the pioneer speaker and with dedicated subwoofer output, its very clean. Very easy to use and has low/high pass filtering in it.

Wow is the sub actually that thin? I was thinking you were installing a giant sub box.
Lol, I wish I could install a giant sub box, but i need as much trunk space as possible. It's really good bass though.

Dude this head unit is AMAZING! I installed the same one also in the odyssey , and it made the stock speakers way better in the van. Unbelievable sound quality with the pioneer speaker and with dedicated subwoofer output, its very clean. Very easy to use and has low/high pass filtering in it.
Your experience seems to confirm my suspicions that Pioneer and some of the more well known brands likely source their units from the same overseas manufacturers / contract houses that Boss and historically “cheap” brands do, but with some UI tweaks and different branding. My last pioneer head unit purchased a couple years ago (and not a budget model btw) weighed as light as a feather and had serious UI issues— not the same Pioneer I used to buy a decade or more ago.

Kenwood still seems to make some nice stuff and design a few models themselves, but I might just try a “cheap” brand next time. They all have the features I need nowadays, like high/low filters, decent equalization options, etc.

Your experience seems to confirm my suspicions that Pioneer and some of the more well known brands likely source their units from the same overseas manufacturers / contract houses that Boss and historically “cheap” brands do, but with some UI tweaks and different branding. My last pioneer head unit purchased a couple years ago (and not a budget model btw) weighed as light as a feather and had serious UI issues— not the same Pioneer I used to buy a decade or more ago.

Kenwood still seems to make some nice stuff and design a few models themselves, but I might just try a “cheap” brand next time. They all have the features I need nowadays, like high/low filters, decent equalization options, etc.
The last time I ever used a pioneer receiver was a single din stereo in the old mk4 jetta. It was good. They all seem to have the same layout regarding boss and pioneer head units, so it is likely they come from the same oversea manufacturers.

Brings back many fun memories...used to make a few extra bucks installing systems back in the day. I even installed and tuned a system that won a local contest. If modern systems were easier to hack into, I would have one in my Buick. They made it just good enough to not bother with at my age.

Back