Stupid trans stop leak question

1998 Accord LX 2.3 4 banger, 145K

Is there any stop leak that can help? My friend brought it over and it took almost 4 qts just to fill.
Bottom was, of course, wet. Sheesh.

I guess the first thing is to fingure out why it's leaking, if it's the trans cooler lines I'm sure stop leak will accomplish nothing.

If something's actually wet under the car, then even if stop-leak products worked (um... guess what my experience has been...), the leak is beyond their help. Physically fixing the cause of the leak is what needs to be done.

if it ain't yours don't mess with it in any method which could have unpredictable negative results. He'll make you pay for it and give you hell when you don't. They can kill a transmissions. Try to find the leak first as it may simply be a pan gasket or cooler line. Could be a seal but the seal additive should be added a fourth to what it recommends. It's known to be too strong and over swell.

Last edited:
is that one of those one-fluid-lubes trans/final drive set ups?
check & see if an axle seal is to blame, then, if you know how to pull & replace CV axle shafts, have at it.
I suppose it could be the torque converter seal but that's a pro or dedicated hobbyist job. : l

#1 guess is hoses. I’m not sure, as a hobbyist, I’ve ever seen any leak of significance from the input shaft or drive axles. One gen4 town and country we had did have an input shaft seal leak, but we’re talking maybe, maybe 2 quarts per year.

Back