Stupid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mva

What is the correct method of checking automatic tranny fluid level?

Hot = warmed up and check level with engine idling?

I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna and it has hot and cold markings on the dip stick.

Last edited:
The hot would almost certainly be with the engine up to temp and having gone into every gear (reverse) for 10 sec. and parked on a level area, engine running.

sometimes it can be really tough to get a good consistent reading, with a readable level on both sides of the dipstick.

It can be hard, be patient. And read the OM.

JMH

Patience is key. On my 06 Saturn VUE it took me forever to get an accurate fill. I wish there was a better way auto makers could give an owner to accurately fill his automatic equipped vehicle.
06.gif

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Patience is key. On my 06 Saturn VUE it took me forever to get an accurate fill. I wish there was a better way auto makers could give an owner to accurately fill his automatic equipped vehicle.
06.gif

On a Honda automatic? Those are probably the easiest ones to check since they are checked with the engine OFF.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
TC,

I didn't think it was easy for my situation. Don't know what to tell you dude.

The dipstick is a tad difficult to reach in that car, was that the problem?

Pretty much everything on that VUE was hard to get to. It was one of the major reasons I jettisoned that SUV. Sweet engine, but being a tinkerer, it sucked to try and do anything. The timing belt replacement (dealer quote of 12-1400 bucks!!!) costs along with having to pay someone to get to the rediciously placed spark plugs got to be too much.

Much happier with my Corolla that ended up replacing it
11.gif

The reason I asked is that I couldn't find anything in the manual on how to check cold or hot.

I just did a drain and refill (the Sienna has a drain plug on the tranny and recommends changes every 48,000 km).

Although the manual says nothing about how to check the level it does give the volume for a drain and fill as "up to 3.5 litres".

I drained it hot, added 2.6 litres and it showed at the bottom of the "hot" range (with engine idling) after a good drive to warm it back up. This morning I checked it before starting the motor and it read full on the "hot" range. I started it up, went for a short (2 km) drive and checked it with the motor idling and it read at the low end of the "cold" range. So I added 0.4 more for a total of 3 litres, started the motor and now it reads at the top of the hot markings!

I still need to take it for a longer drive and check again.

Originally Posted By: mva
The reason I asked is that I couldn't find anything in the manual on how to check cold or hot.

I just did a drain and refill (the Sienna has a drain plug on the tranny and recommends changes every 48,000 km).

Although the manual says nothing about how to check the level it does give the volume for a drain and fill as "up to 3.5 litres".

I drained it hot, added 2.6 litres and it showed at the bottom of the "hot" range (with engine idling) after a good drive to warm it back up. This morning I checked it before starting the motor and it read full on the "hot" range. I started it up, went for a short (2 km) drive and checked it with the motor idling and it read at the low end of the "cold" range. So I added 0.4 more for a total of 3 litres, started the motor and now it reads at the top of the hot markings!

I still need to take it for a longer drive and check again.

As part of the drive to warm up the tranny, make sure you go through every gear for 10 seconds including reverse. Every path needs to be filled with ATF to get a good reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back