Stupid place to mount a control module

Right under the passenger seat so if someone accidentally leaves the windows down and it rains any significant amount, it gets soaked. At least now they are mounted somewhere on top of the center tunnel so the car would have to be in a flood to take them out. Luckily I found one on Ebay for $50.

I think the problem here is the leaving the window open and not the placement of the module?

Yeah, how dare they put an air bag module really close to the airbag it activates in a place that is inside the vehicle.
Shame on them.

It looks like it sat in water for a while, seems to have a seal around the perimeter, although maybe not sealed at the plug (but did the plug cover that area and somewhat seal it?

Yaw sensor in the P2 Volvos are under the passenger seat. Leaky weather strip, clogged AC drain, repeated soda spills(?), Dopy placement for an electric thing.
Goes double for the fuel pump module (PEM?) being outside on the earlier cars. That was moved inside to the spare wheel well in '06-'07.

Friend's sister owned a Mazda 323 that started acting wonky and then one day, just died. IIRC, the heater core was leaking into the fuse box.

That isn't from rain water spraying on it. As others have said, this vehicle got flooded. You'll argue it's not the case though since the title doesn't indicate it....

The yards in and around STL are starting to see a fair amount of totalled vehicles due to flood damage. We had historic rains at the end of July and the insurance companies are now closing out the claims on many of those vehicles.

What to look for when you suspect a car may have been flooded.

My guess is the module is from a FWD GM sedan. Likely source of water that corroded the module is rainwater that by design is to be routed through the interior door to exit the interior to the outside, was instead flowing into the sedan's interior under the carpet, entering the interior at the bottom of the door. Likely point of failure is the butyl strip that seals the innards of the door with a super thick piece of flexible plastic failed.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's we used to splash around on the Mojave river near me. Every Nissan hard body pickup left on a hook as the computer was under the pass seat. One good hole and it was ruined!

BTW these were the trucks that used lights on the computer to show trouble codes.

Side note, arent ECMs now located in the engine bay unlike years past when they used to live in the dash?

Back