Stupid MIR's!!! Why???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am guessing it is three things. Most of them never get sent in. They are collecting marketing info. They are making a ton of money on the interest of your money sitting in their account.

Walker exhaust ripped me off from $40. I'll remember that for a while.
mad.gif

Sent the stuff in 100% correct; they sent me a postcard saying it wasn't. Called the phone number, they said, oh, let me pull up your file: You're right, expect your check in a week. Never got it and the phone number shortly turned into a robot saying I should expect my check soon without any ability to inquire further.

The DTD rebates are mint, though. Super easy and worth the time.

If I can get a product that I use for maybe 70% off or more by stacking store deals with MIRs, then I'm all in.
If Mobil and Meijer want to combine their efforts to provide me two jugs of M1 and an M1 oil filter for $18.00 net, than who am I to complain about it?
What's not to like?

Originally Posted By: khittner
Yes, I do the rebates on stuff I'd buy anyway, because the marketers are betting that I won't, and I love "sticking it to The Man"---particularly, when "The Man" is an oil company.

Let's see,you paid full price or more to the Man,he gets to keep your money with nothing more than a promise to maybe send you back a little a few months later.
Yea that's really sticking it to the Man.

The last one I did was from buying a 4 set of tires. If I remember correctly, couldn't use it toward gas, and may been a couple other things it couldn't be used for. I think it was $70

Yesterday I received one Mastercard rebate card for $12. I didn't send in for it. I had the wife check into it and its from our last visit at the animal vet, a rebate for the year supply of HeartGuard I bought for little doggie. The Vet place just put in for it - maybe they mentioned they would do it but we don't recall. In one ear and out the other I guess. All I know I or wife didn't send in anything and we wouldn't bother for just $12

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
I am curious how you figured out the company handling the rebate processing, from the address you sent the mail to?

Sometimes it's just appended to the bottom of the rebate website, terms & conditions, privacy disclosure, or contact number. It's a hassle to dig through the information though but oftentimes someone else would have already compiled the information on a deal site or something similar.

Some rebates are not worth the trouble; others are certainly worth the effort.

Right now, Autolite spark plugs has a good deal going. Iridium plugs with a $3/plug back; limit 16! I look forward to getting $48 back. And considering I got them for $3.89 on rockauto, that makes the net cost $.89 each!

Side bar gripe ...
Often the MIRs restrict stuff like "no PO Boxes, APO ... "
That really ticks me off and I often write them with a big fat complaint. I live in a rural part of Indiana where ALL MAIL goes to the post office; there is no home mail delivery, no RR, nothing. I have a home address, but no one is going to deliver mail to me. So if I put the PO Box down on the form, the company won't send my rebate. If I put the home address down, the Post Office will return the mailing as un-deliverable ...
The arrogance of some companies that think ALL people get their mail at home is ridiculous. Typical city dwellers thinking life revolves around them!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I live in a rural part of Indiana where ALL MAIL goes to the post office; there is no home mail delivery, no RR, nothing. I have a home address, but no one is going to deliver mail to me.

Dave, talk to your Postmaster. You should be able to address it to something like this:

Dave Newton
GENERAL DELIVERY (make this all caps)
Middle of Nowhere (your town), Indiana
46xxx-9999 (your zip +9999 which means it is delivered specifically to the Post Office itself)

this should hold your mail in the Postmaster's Office for personal pickup; if it really is a super small office they may slip it into your PO box. The catch is you have to pick it up within 30 days. Your Postmaster should be happy to fill you in, or you can search for General Delivery details on the USPS website.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I live in a rural part of Indiana where ALL MAIL goes to the post office; there is no home mail delivery, no RR, nothing. I have a home address, but no one is going to deliver mail to me.

Dave, talk to your Postmaster. You should be able to address it to something like this:

Dave Newton
46xxx-9999 (your zip +9999 which means it is delivered specifically to the Post Office itself)

this should hold your mail in the Postmaster's Office for personal pickup; if it really is a super small office they may slip it into your PO box. The catch is you have to pick it up within 30 days. Your Postmaster should be happy to fill you in, or you can search for General Delivery details on the USPS website.

In our local town we make the PO box look like an apartment number . The gals at the Post Office know what to do.

I submitted my Pennzoil rebate for two 5-quart jugs right after I purchased them on 3/15 and my $20 check was waiting for me in the mailbox on 4/2. It might have come before that even but I was out of town for the previous week.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

Dave Newton

In our local town we make the PO box look like an apartment number . The gals at the Post Office know what to do.

Suggestions that have merit only on one end ...
Our local PO is very hard to deal with; very limited (only one employee and only open 8a-12p, six days a week, and so we working stiffs only get to see her on Saturdays.)

The real underlying problem is that the companies that execute the rebates are looking for any way to limit their payouts. One way they do this is the "validate against fraud". PO Boxes are often used in fraud cases, and so they rule them out often (hence their unwitting way of screwing over legit people like me). The way they "validate" these claims is to check your name/address against public info files such as utility records, etc. See this link; item 8
http://www.autolite.com/media/18879/autolite-rebate_pads-2018-web.pdf

My natural gas and electric bills have the "service address" (physical address) within the account record, but they bills go to the PO Box because we get no home mail delivery. So the "official" record is our POB, but the companies don't want to pay to a POB because they fear fraud. (As if someone it going to get a POB to defraud them for spark plugs ... it would cost more to rent the Box than we'd get back in the rebate ...)

The companies that administer the MIRs do actually validate this info. They may not do it all the time; it may be an "audit" basis - I have no idea how often they do this. But they do it, because I once ran a MIR for Mobil Delvac to our POB and they denied it, but at least had the decency to include a contact phone number, and I was able to call them and work it out. However, most companies are not this willing to work with us.

I've also attempted at times to use my work address, but again we run into issues if they "validate" the address.

If I were to use the method you guys suggest, there'd be no way to validate my "address" as "General Delivery", etc against public records.

The grand irony of all this? Where do we have to mail the MIR claim to? A PO Box ... as if their business practice use of the POB is valid, but somehow I'm a crook for having one ...

Last edited:
I view MIRs as a form of trickery, and that I do not like. So I tend to stay with products that have upfront pricing with the final cost taken care of when purchased.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
......They usually take 4-6 weeks to receive if you're lucky and nowadays its usually a stupid rewards credit card type thing that is just a hassle to activate and deal with.....

IME Discount Tire rebates are so easy to do and have a quick turn around. Done online just an invoice number required to be entered. As for the rewards credit card, never found them to be an issue. Easily spent and amount keep track of online. Or, just immediately turn it into a gift card from a store or place one frequents. Easy peazy, no brainer. Less enamored with the with rebate cards that are store specific use though.

Some other mail in rebates more of hassle, need to keep copies of everything. Had a rebate for QSUD purchased from AAP for ~$2.15/qt last year, likely one of the first times I didn't bother submitting the rebate. Good enough price for me without the rebate.

Just depends on how much your time is worth the effort for the rebate amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back