Stupid 2015 F-150 Brake Service Questions

The brake service went well. The genuine Motorcraft parts fit beautifully! Thanks Critic for your guidance! And bdcardinal for his as well, on the caliper bracket bolts and lube application.
The old pads had cracks and the rotors had a few heat spots. I believe this truck was dealer serviced because all the parts (inc. oil filter) were Motorcraft.
The only problem was the lug nuts. I believe they are spec'ed at 21mm, but the 21 socket (impact or 6 point Williams) would not easily slip on. I ended up using a 7/8 impact socket. I think an air gun beat the snot outta the "beauty covers" or what ever you call 'em.

The mighty Bonney torque wrench flexed his muscles with the 184 and 150 pound feet tasks.
And yes, the current Motorcraft brake pads do not have the humps as the earlier pads. They are identical. Fit was perfect and installation was a breeze.
PXL_20201119_163935272.jpg
PXL_20201119_164050721.jpg
PXL_20201119_163957923.jpg

Last edited:
Glad it went well. Ive tried oem, Hawk LTS and now raybestos EHT/element3 pads and found the element3 to be my favorite- firmer pedal with more bite than oem. The LTS had the best feel and performance but the dusting was really bad, and I’m not that picky. The only drawback of the element3 pads seems to be rotor wear. They are hard on rotors. On the other hand, i installed them on one of our vehicles that had bad pulsation, and had to wait 3 months for the rotors to arrive. By the time they did, the rotors seemed to have been nicely resurfaced by the pads and the pulsation is barely perceptible.

m

Excellent choice! The last brake job that I did on a 2014 F-150, I used the Motorcraft Super Duty pads. For Ford produced vehicles, I prefer Motorcraft or Wagner.

The brake service went well. The genuine Motorcraft parts fit beautifully! Thanks Critic for your guidance! And bdcardinal for his as well, on the caliper bracket bolts and lube application.
The old pads had cracks and the rotors had a few heat spots. I believe this truck was dealer serviced because all the parts (inc. oil filter) were Motorcraft.
The only problem was the lug nuts. I believe they are spec'ed at 21mm, but the 21 socket (impact or 6 point Williams) would not easily slip on. I ended up using a 7/8 impact socket. I think an air gun beat the snot outta the "beauty covers" or what ever you call 'em.

The mighty Bonney torque wrench flexed his muscles with the 184 and 150 pound feet tasks.
And yes, the current Motorcraft brake pads do not have the humps as the earlier pads. They are identical. Fit was perfect and installation was a breeze.
View attachment 34539View attachment 34540View attachment 34541
The lug nuts might be the crappy two part Ford ones that have lead to a lawsuit. Maybe replace them with solid one piece lug nuts?

The lug nuts might be the crappy two part Ford ones that have lead to a lawsuit. Maybe replace them with solid one piece lug nuts?
Yep, still the same crappy two piece lug nuts on my 2020.
Thank you so much for your replys; I have never seen lug nuts like this. I thought I was going nuts.
I will check Amazon and RockAuto. If you have a recommendation for new lugs, please lemme know.

Thanks again.

Thank you so much for your replys; I have never seen lug nuts like this. I thought I was going nuts.
I will check Amazon and RockAuto. If you have a recommendation for new lugs, please lemme know.

Thanks again.
Get the McGard, you won’t be sorry.
They are Made In USA.
The Gorilla is another popular brand but, their chrome plating will not hold up. Made in Taiwan or China.

Thanks again.
On my cars I changed them out to McGard lugnuts and that is what I tell customers that ask.

Thanks for the McGard recommendations.
I really like Karlee's truck, but the lug issue is pretty lame. Sheesh.
The lugnut thing is lame. I changed mine out the first tire rotate. Well actually first I tried to use my work resources and ended up having to order like 100 Dorman lugnuts to find 16 that were 13/16. Then I did the McGard thing and never looked back.

The lugnut thing is lame. I changed mine out the first tire rotate. Well actually first I tried to use my work resources and ended up having to order like 100 Dorman lugnuts to find 16 that were 13/16. Then I did the McGard thing and never looked back.
Outstanding advice.
Better than that, it is the right answer. Cheap parts don't fit right. They suck.
I'm gonna write Henry Ford a nasty letter. That'll fix him...

Back