Stumbled upon a old quote for a new Honda Accord

I was going through some old emails. Crazy that almost a decade ago, you could get nearly $4k off a new Accord. Now you're paying $5k over at some dealerships for these things :ROFLMAO: . I don't even think we paid for the destination back when my dad brought his Accord in 2013.
1.PNG

Last edited:
Things do go through cycles, I heard recently that Carvana might go belly up, too much debt.
'cuz price used cars are on the downslope

this was an estimate for the car when was in the market for a used Accord back in 2020 as we could not agree so I backed off; soon afterward I bought my EXL

Unknown.jpeg

It was a super nice Accord, I shoped for a car when none was :D

IMG_3963.jpeg

so after a month I got this; I scored a deal I could not refuse

IMG_4748.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a 2017 4Runner brand new in October 2017 for $35k. I sold (not traded) it in March 2022 for $34,100 to a Chevy dealership. It had 40k miles. They put it on the lot for $40k and sold it in two weeks. Times are wild, but I think it's cooling off big time.

I was going through some old emails. Crazy that almost a decade ago, you could get nearly $4k off a new Accord. Now you're paying $5k over at some dealerships for these things :ROFLMAO: . I don't even think we paid for the destination back when my dad brought his Accord in 2013. View attachment 125789
$4k off a new accord? That was most likely was a hook, line, and sinker tactic. I’ve purchased many Hondas and it is difficult to get dealers to back off the MSRP. If they agree to do INVOICE price then you did good at Honda.

Very rarely do Honda dealers mark down their vehicles. Last truly remarkable deal on a Honda was the 2012 Civic. Honda was blasted all over by automobile journalists for the cheapness of the 2012 Civic. Honda was nearly begging people to buy them, even offered 0% financing. I can’t remember the last time I saw 0% on a Honda. Usually 0.9% was their best APR offer. The 2012 Civic was a one year hit wonder.

I do recall some Honda dealerships discounting the top of the line Accord Touring models. Which makes sense, higher MSRP vehicles usually have more room to fiddle with the price. I don’t recall seeing $4k off but I guess it could happen on specific trim levels.

$4k off a new accord? That was most likely was a hook, line, and sinker tactic. I’ve purchased many Hondas and it is difficult to get dealers to back off the MSRP. If they agree to do INVOICE price then you did good at Honda.

Very rarely do Honda dealers mark down their vehicles. Last truly remarkable deal on a Honda was the 2012 Civic. Honda was blasted all over by automobile journalists for the cheapness of the 2012 Civic. Honda was nearly begging people to buy them, even offered 0% financing. I can’t remember the last time I saw 0% on a Honda. Usually 0.9% was their best APR offer. The 2012 Civic was a one year hit wonder.

I do recall some Honda dealerships discounting the top of the line Accord Touring models. Which makes sense, higher MSRP vehicles usually have more room to fiddle with the price. I don’t recall seeing $4k off but I guess it could happen on specific trim levels.
Perhaps that depends on location. In "normal" times, with all the Honda dealerships around here and the Internet, you can easily play them off against each other. Same with just about any car.

Things do go through cycles, I heard recently that Carvana might go belly up, too much debt.
Convicted con man mega-billionaire Ernest Garcia II is the majority shareholder of Carvana stock. Carvana is really nothing more than a Ponzi scheme that was structured as a bankruptcy-remote subsidiary of parent company DriveTime to siphon cash to insiders until the scheme collapses. In other words, it was designed from the onset to rob investors of their money and then go bankrupt. Carvana has lost money on each and every used car they have ever sold. Profits were siphoned-off for inflated/excessive reconditioning costs which were paid to DriveTime (who is/was doing the reconditioning), and most of their used car inventory is/was being purchased from/through DriveTime for inflated/excessive prices. Then there are the affiliated finance companies (that Garcia also started and owns) that have been siphoning-off profits (75% of Carvana customers finance through them). Finally, there is their purchase of Adesa for $2.2 billion, done so that they can defraud auction customers and obtain vehicles for a discount to sell. The guy is a real scumbag.
Carvana is a worse fraud than Enron, which also used accounting shenanigans to fabricate "profits". Carvana uses similar accounting shenanigans and can't even feign profitability. Carvana is also worse than Countrywide Financial, which was less precariously capitalized than Carvana and generated real earnings before it collapsed.

Last edited:
Perhaps that depends on location. In "normal" times, with all the Honda dealerships around here and the Internet, you can easily play them off against each other. Same with just about any car.
That's what we ended up doing. Honda on grand was giving us 4k off. Mcgrath Honda have us a new 2013 Accord EX for 4500 off plus 4 free oil changes

My aunt bought her 2016 Toyota Avalon XLE in 12/2016 for around $27,500, its MSRP was $33,500. OTD after taxes and all fees was under $30k.

2/2017 I bought a 2015 Hyundai Sonata SE, 52k miles, for $9,990 at a Subaru dealer. I paid sticker price. Was about $11,700 out the door after taxes and fees.

1/2018 my grandpa bought what's now my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Limited, 102k miles, for $18,200 at an Acura dealer. We talked them down like $500-$600 from sticker price. I just checked AutoTrader and here we are almost 5 years later and they're still selling for around $18k.

Those kinds of deals don't happen anymore.

re: carvana
I only have second hand experience with them..
My Brother sold them 2 vehicles a couple years apart, and bought one, and My GF after car shopping for a couple years, ended up buying her car from them in 2020.

the sales to Carvana. no problems. when his Chally finally showed up on their site, we questioned privately a couple of the "scratches" they highlighted (one legit looked like a cobweb), but...they were both smooth and painless transactions.

the Escape He bought when he traded them his Volt however.....
"new brakes and tires" cheapest ones they could find(some chinese brand i've never heard of)..but whatever, they are new..
it has a clean carfax, but some of the shoddiest respray work we've ever seen...bad tape lines between panels where they repainted them ON the car, and there's no paint in the panel gap b/c that's where the tape was.. the whole RR quarter is covered in runs and orange peel...
it's also the 2017+ 2.0 EB, which are known to crack blocks and drink coolant. levels are staying steady for now... but at some point it WILL need a new block...
(he didn't know about the second gen EB 4cyl issues when he pulled the trigger. he was referencing off our dad's 2015 2.0 EB, which is a different block design, and doesn't have the same design defect.)

GF's car.. it's a 2014(?) Mitsubishi Mirage. she calls it the blueberry (it's tiny and blue). (paid about 10k for it, but at the peak of the pandemic used car shortages)
2 sets of mismatched tires,(fronts the wrong size) and the little 3 pot has enough of a vibration it probably has a bad motor mount.
it didn't appear to have gone through any reconditioning, as the tires were old. ( Not sure how old, but in the last month 2 of them stopped holding air, without punctures, but as of yesterday she has a mostly matching* set of new Khumo's, just in time for the snow. - she has a 45 min country road commute)

*mostly matching - couple weeks ago, one went down half way home, she replaced just that tire.
last week, as she's leaving work, one was flat, and wouldn't hold air. she replaced just that tire.
later that afternoon, I went back to discount and bought the other 2. they went on yesterday.

Back