Study shows EVs more expensive to fuel vs ICE

You have an ICE vehicle as well?
I thought the whole idea of electric was to phase them out.

Not picking on you or your friends, but it certainly seems like EV’s being a pushed as a one size fits all solution. You and your friends are proving that not be the case.
My vehicles are listed below.
Some vehicles will phase out; every product has a life cycle.

You won't hear much talk about that, I asked in another thread and didn't get an answer. Lets just say it is quite a bit more than a comparable ICE vehicle. T-bone one, nothing crazy maybe 10-15 mph and mess up the battery. There's a very good chance they'll total it. T-Bone and don't mess up the battery, just wreck both doors, it might be another total. They're not cheap or easy to fix, and the insurance company knows it. Tesla offers their own insurance because they know the cost is high, IIRC states like NY and NJ Tesla doesn't offer it.
I checked with my current state farm policy adding a 2022 tesla model 3 performance was 397$ for 6 months.
it also reduced the price of my forester policy by nearly 100$ so about 300$ to add it to my policy.
If I was replacing the forester it was around 120$ more per 6 month.

Just a data point.. not drawing any conclusions.
I do have a car and house on the policy.. I'd estimate if I was only shopping for tesla car insurance it might be up to 550$ for 6 months.

That's my point, and insurance costs have to be factored into the cost of owning and operating a vehicle, and are often conveniently overlooked. Here the insurance on a Tesla is quite a bit higher than a comparable ICE, making it a hard no for many people. Even Elon isn't insuring them here yet.

It’s not just Teslas

My old beater “mild” hybrid cost $1800, the “fees” + insurance was almost equal in cost of the car and it didn’t get that good of fuel economy.

I was better off with my old stick which didn’t pay any of the extra costs.

The sad part is that “those” costs were no different than the stick until insurance was made mandatory and extra fees got added.

I have nothing good to say about mandatory insurance, made my insurance double overnight and even fewer cars are insured than ever before.

As EVs age the insurance issue needs to be addressed because no matter what, eventually every car on the road becomes an $1800 beater car, Tesla or not and will end up owned by a cheapskate or poor person.

If the insurance is too high on these rigs they will just get junked prematurely or you will have folks like my uncle that stopped paying fees and insurance for 10+ years.

Northern Wisconsin is already notorious for pay once on purchase fees and insurance already . I can only imagine it will get worse if these costs grow even more.

Lot of northern folks don’t own cars and drive to work in side by side’s because insurance and fees are like $50 a year.

When my folks lived up there they had motorcycles and snowmobiles and no car.
Things don’t change.

I checked with my current state farm policy adding a 2022 tesla model 3 performance was 397$ for 6 months.
When I added my my old car to the policy 10 years ago it added $80 annually, $397 for a secondary car with one driver is a ripoff

Impossible to compare insurance cost on any vehicle with anyone but yourself but traditionally high horsepower cars will get slammed with high insurance rates.
Not that it matters, its to be expected. As EVs with high horse power become more common you will see higher prices, again, not that it matters any more than comparing cost of gas vs electricity, I mean who cares? We buy what we like, if anyone cared everyone would be driving economy cars instead of big SUVs and pick up trucks or high powered cars.
Heck GM is building a BRAND NEW V8 Engine manufacturing plant to put in its pickup trucks.

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 1.20.33 PM.png

Last edited:
"ICE vehicles more expensive to Run if ran on E0 pump gas with 200mile OCIs with Euro 0w40 supercar oil. "

These articles are fun. Prime the article to fit a narrative, and click submit lol
I guess its time to put on my writer hat too lol

It’s not just Teslas

My old beater “mild” hybrid cost $1800, the “fees” + insurance was almost equal in cost of the car and it didn’t get that good of fuel economy.

I was better off with my old stick which didn’t pay any of the extra costs.

The sad part is that “those” costs were no different than the stick until insurance was made mandatory and extra fees got added.

I have nothing good to say about mandatory insurance, made my insurance double overnight and even fewer cars are insured than ever before.

As EVs age the insurance issue needs to be addressed because no matter what, eventually every car on the road becomes an $1800 beater car, Tesla or not and will end up owned by a cheapskate or poor person.

If the insurance is too high on these rigs they will just get junked prematurely or you will have folks like my uncle that stopped paying fees and insurance for 10+ years.

Northern Wisconsin is already notorious for pay once on purchase fees and insurance already . I can only imagine it will get worse if these costs grow even more.

Lot of northern folks don’t own cars and drive to work in side by side’s because insurance and fees are like $50 a year.

When my folks lived up there they had motorcycles and snowmobiles and no car.
Things don’t change.
It is a regional thing with insurance, parts of the country like NJ and NY make a Tesla a bad investment for some. From what I've been reading and from asking a friend who owns a body shop it doesn't take much to total a Tesla, or for the body shop repair costs to mount quickly. Repairing them is harder, and the battery cost if it gets damaged can really drive the price sky high. Maybe in some rural parts of the US that isn't a concern, or to some owners it might not be a concern. It must be a concern here because figures for them are much lower than in other parts of the USA.

Transmission losses I know about; I was hoping you may have some way to correlate from plug to car what the difference in actual power transfer there was. Wanted to point out that just because EV says it holds 100kW does not equate to the same amount showing up on the power company bill. Not bashing EVs on this; as you acknowledge there are always transfer losses, but it appears some people forget this fact. And I get that having a built-in array that’s oversized makes any conversion losses from solar to battery power kind of a moot point. Thanks 👌

Anybody else with EVs- do you monitor your monthly EV consumption and rectify it against what you see on your meter/bill?

As a final thought, I wonder if the eMPG calculations are done simply assuming the battery was fully charged, or accounting for conversion losses? Because charging with 110V will certainly have a different effect on conversion than a much higher voltage will- even simple computer power supplies generally gain 4-7% efficiency when going from 110V to 230V supply…

So add a theoretical 10% to my math… It is still immensely cheaper than gasoline.

Nobody with a pure EV should be charging on 110, unless they drive very little. I would say for someone that can’t charge at home also that they shouldn’t buy one. In either case get a PHEV instead.

I’m on my phone so I don’t see signatures. I wasn’t being a smarty pants by asking you what you had.

Your comment answers my question perfectly.
All good. Here's the list; you will see my cars are all over the map.

2021 Lexus RX450h F Sport
2018 Tesla Model 3, Medium Range Battery
2013 Lexus GS350 F Sport
2006 Acura TSX
2001 Tundra SR5 Access Cab
1968 Corvette L36 Roadster
1965 Olds 4-4-2

I thought I had it bad paying $1200 each for my 3 relics. I have a 21 year old on my policy so.....
We had our daughter get her own policy and also have her car registered/titled only in her name. Any other way and you're open to great liability should something bad happen where the 21 year old is at fault. You could lose everything.

Last edited:
Back