Study on extended drain and filter intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/publications/Documents/UsedOil%5C2008020.pdf

Its a lot of reading but looks to be some interesting stuff here.

Good find. This could probably be moved to a higher profile forum.

I breezed through it. They mentioned the Fram XG and M1 line of filters for extended drains. Also mentioned that 20,000 mile OCI are possible right now with synthetic oil and extended drain oil filters. I have felt this way for awhile. I mean Ford and Honda are using 10,000+ mile OCI for most of their vehicles now using conventional oil. They have been doing this for years now with no problems.

I would bet that a lot of people could drastically extend their OCI but do not because of old habits, advertising, and industry scare tactics to change the oil too frequently.

I'm not negating they study per se, but just seeing the title of the organization doing the study make me ask a lot of questions. How was the study funded? Who do they take $$ from? And has any other organisation backed the research?

Heck of a disclaimer on the title page.

I will get to reading it as I find it interesting. And it may be a solid study based on factual, independent analysis. I've just gotten so jaded with "studies" as they very often are based upon the desired outcome before the study is even completed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I'm not negating they study per se, but just seeing the title of the organization doing the study make me ask a lot of questions. How was the study funded? Who do they take $$ from? And has any other organisation backed the research?

Heck of a disclaimer on the title page.

I will get to reading it as I find it interesting. And it may be a solid study based on factual, independent analysis. I've just gotten so jaded with "studies" as they very often are based upon the desired outcome before the study is even completed.

I agree take studies and articles with a grain of salt. Just because it seems to make sense doesn't mean there is a grain of truth in it. Besides if you read about something you do not know anything about how can you discern it what you read is fact?

Interesting results-wonder how much better the Fram Ultra XG2 would have performed than the Xtended Guard XG2s they used. Also the Fleetguard bypass filter was actually rated LOWER in efficiency (98.7% @ 20 microns) than the Ultra's 99%+ @ 20 microns. The bypass filters they used performed well, but I still think the Fleetguard Venturi filters could have delivered similar performance for a lower up front cost.

You go by your own experiences.
Even if you're new to car maintenance today can be the start of your expertise of your personal vehicles.

I trust what I see and not what others tell me.
Of course I'm open to all information and appreciate it.

But read and then verify.

The study is from California. i live in California and anything from the government is not worthy of trust.

I do 20K mile oil filter changes on our my cars.

3 OCI's with quality oil will keep wear down and engine very clean. Zero need to change oil filter every time oil is changed.

Don't ignore Arnold's name on the top of the study. It's from 2008. Not that I disagree with their facts one way or the other, but it puts a little damper on other claims said here.
It's great they want to reduce their fleet oil use. I do what I want with my fleet.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I do 20K mile oil filter changes on our my cars.

3 OCI's with quality oil will keep wear down and engine very clean. Zero need to change oil filter every time oil is changed.

Yep, I leave my toyota filer on for 10,000 miles and change the oil every 5,000.

Initially, some State fleet managers
resisted accepting the HE filters, stating that the filters required extra effort and disrupted routine
vehicle servicing schedules.

Spoken like a true government employee!
crackmeup2.gif

I live in California and have little faith in anything coming out of Sacramento especially when it pertains to automobiles. I trust my oil life monitor a bunch more than a bureaucrat telling me when to change my oil considering the bureaucrat rides around in a state owned car and doesn't have to pay for repairs when the car breaks down.

Originally Posted By: 46Harry
I live in California and have little faith in anything coming out of Sacramento especially when it pertains to automobiles. I trust my oil life monitor a bunch more than a bureaucrat telling me when to change my oil considering the bureaucrat rides around in a state owned car and doesn't have to pay for repairs when the car breaks down.

I live in CA, and no one has ever told me when to change oil. If I read something, it still isn't telling me what to do, it's information. Because I have lived in CA a long time, I praise the environmental protections that came out of the state government since the 1960's. I like the CA government, then and now. I don't know, the study has Arnold's name at the top, must be something.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

I live in CA, and no one has ever told me when to change oil. If I read something, it still isn't telling me what to do, it's information. Because I have lived in CA a long time, I praise the environmental protections that came out of the state government since the 1960's. I like the CA government, then and now. I don't know, the study has Arnold's name at the top, must be something.

Born and Raised in Cali, State government is a Basket Case, Wilson, Governator and Moon Pie have turned this state into a shambles, have to agree with CT8 and 46Harry, firmly planted here but if the chance of moving out of state ever comes up i'd BAIL!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

Born and Raised in Cali, State government is a Basket Case, Wilson, Governator and Moon Pie have turned this state into a shambles, have to agree with CT8 and 46Harry, firmly planted here but if the chance of moving out of state ever comes up i'd BAIL!
cheers3.gif

Where are you going to move to? Born and raised in CA? You'll Be Back....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back