Study finds that EV's are driving less than half the fleet average per year.

Interesting study with some broad points. They are careful not to draw conclusions, but it seems 'to me' that EV's simply supplement conventional vehicles in many cases.

EV's average about 5,300 electric vehicle miles traveled (eVMT) per year—roughly half as large as EV driving estimates used by regulators and also half as large as vehicle miles traveled in gasoline-powered cars.

Future research should seek to test a variety of potential explanations for the apparent low utilization of EVs. First, buyers of EVs to date may not represent the broader vehicle-owning population. Second, the marginal utility of eVMT may be lower than that of travel in conventional vehicles. if, instead, EVs are primarily owned by households with multiple cars, it will be important to understand why. This may be true for a variety of reasons, including an absence of sufficiently dense charging networks, range anxiety, or other attributes of the EV travel experience. Third, EVs may be complements to gasoline-powered vehicles, rather than substitutes for them.

The research also studied different types of EVs and found that Teslas consume almost twice the amount of electricity per hour than the others studied. This is likely due to a combination of factors, including Tesla’s higher battery capacity.

These results should have been expected. The US is a large country. EVs will be at a disadvantage on longer trips. I believe this is where hybrids and EVs with range extenders will be popular.
True … and how often are they the lone vehicle type … personal or commercial ?
Going to take a while …

True … and how often are they the lone vehicle type … personal or commercial ?
Going to take a while …

I think commercial/business will use them in local driving. For longer trips the recharge time will eat into the drivers productive time so that will be a problem.

I think commercial/business will use them in local driving. For longer trips the recharge time will eat into the drivers productive time so that will be a problem.
Right … and online shopper boxes come in the daytime … could charge at night while getting loaded for next am.
Another reason power generation types better be ready for different 24 hour patterns …

Without making judgement: how many EV buyers are buying because they need to have a car, but otherwise live lives so as to minimize driving? They had to have a car, so they first bought whatever high mpg car they could get, then moved onto Prius, now they can go pure EV. But in reality they live less than 10 miles from work, because they choose to live close to things, so as to minimize their carbon footprint.

Without making judgement: how many EV buyers are buying because they need to have a car, but otherwise live lives so as to minimize driving? They had to have a car, so they first bought whatever high mpg car they could get, then moved onto Prius, now they can go pure EV. But in reality they live less than 10 miles from work, because they choose to live close to things, so as to minimize their carbon footprint.

Minimize commuting time and the hidden expenses of car ownership. I’ve saved a ton of money over the years living close to work. Not just gas.

An electric-only car should be considerably simpler. Should b

Minimize commuting time and the hidden expenses of car ownership. I’ve saved a ton of money over the years living close to work. Not just gas.

An electric-only car should be considerably simpler. Should b

This opens up a different subject. Some prefer to not live close to their work for a number of reasons. Better schools for the kids, lower crime, etc.

That was one reason I moved out of the city and ended up with a 25 mile commute each way. But it was sure peaceful and quiet back then.

And thus exposes the urban/suburban/rural disconnect in all of the discussions on EV.

Just average common sense and watching people how they drive and care, I would say it is going to be a world of both gas and ev. As more ev’s are sold, more gas for everyone else too. Not sure it needed a “study” but a job is a job I guess.😄

I know a few with EVs, mostly Teslas, and it's not their only car. I think they definitely have a purpose, and are great for short tripping around town. One of the owners I know has solar power to his house so it makes even more financial sense to own one. They would be great for municipal fleets where they are plugged in charging when not in use at a central location. For many people I think the infrastructure just isn't there yet, and it will take longer to get there than some people are predicting. Mining the metals for the batteries isn't free of pollution either, but like I said they definitely have their place.

I have a longer commute than most, but the areas I drive barely have gas stations never mind charging locations. I would say hybrids make more sense for most over all ICE or all electric.

The thing is, if a lot of EV's are used for short trips, why do they need a big battery and range, which only hikes up the cost of buying and owning? Seems a 100 mile EV would be more than enough.

The thing is, if a lot of EV's are used for short trips, why do they need a big battery and range, which only hikes up the cost of buying and owning? Seems a 100 mile EV would be more than enough.
The batteries have limited cycle lifespan. A 70 mile battery will be nearly depleted and recharged on a daily basis, leading to rapid degradation. The Nissan Leaf is a good example. There are many claims that “air cooling” is the reason. But the cells simply follow the predicted lifespan of 300 cycles, then decline.

These results should have been expected. The US is a large country. EVs will be at a disadvantage on longer trips. I believe this is where hybrids and EVs with range extenders will be popular.

Should show this to the 20 states that charge an EV for 25,000 miles plus of gas taxes

And the reason they don’t drive far is rather obvious, it doesn’t help there is no charging infrastructure either

I am visiting Arlington, TX this week. It's beautiful here, especailly the sunsets! Kinda flat though... You can see for miles!
I have not been out much, but when I have, there ain't a lotta Teslas around here.
It ain't like home, that's for sure.
Visitors to Silicon Valley play a game, "Count the Teslas."
I realize I live in a tech bubble that is a breeding ground for new products, especially automobiles.
Teslas check all the boxes.

I don't know any EV owners that do not have another car. I sure do.
Also, EVs as mass produced cars are in their infancy. Heck, EV sales are a tiny percentage of the new car market.
But growing... Who knows where we will end up.

But I will say this... Once again, Consumer Reports called Tesla, flaws and all, the car with the highest customer satisfaction of any car.
Owners are rabid about these cars. I will buy another.

What is the next "game changer"? The $25K Tesla Model 3.

Perhaps this is what Mazda is thinking with their MX30?

Back