Stuck after a few use window and seat motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it looks like I'm going down the path to fixer up the Camry to "excellent" condition and put it on the market.

Just went to junkyard this weekend to replace most worn out interior trims and noticed a few things that I can "fix", but in the spirit of proper diagnose without throwing parts at the problem, I'd like to ask a few more questions first. Thanks in advance.

1. Window motors will move the window a few times and then go slower and slower, until it stop working. If you wait 10 mins it will "come back alive". I read that it is the motor ballast resistor that protects it from overheating and wears out over time. If I were to replace the resistors are they easy to find? I can also try junkyard window motors until they are tested "good".

2. Seat track motor (forward and backward) on the passenger front seat moved to the front and get stuck. I read that it can be the plastic gear worn out or something jammed in the track. Make sense?

3. Carpet spot cleaning, any suggestion if you do not have a steam cleaner or hot water extractor? I remember reading some carpet cleaner will dry into powder that you can vacuum off, but I read people discourage them as they may just attract more stains later on if you use chemicals and cannot 100% remove them. I prefer not to spend hundreds on a tool that I may only use once. All my other cars have black carpet / mat so no need to detail the mat / carpet.

4. Dash cleaning, how do you remove double side tapes residue of air freshener bottle?

5. Minor / beginning cracks on leather bolster, which leather repair kit / filler / color matching set do you guys recommend for Beige / Tan Camry leather in 97-01?

This can wait, the car is not going anywhere until the replacement title is back anyways. Goal is to fix it up to good enough (age appropriate), but no obvious damage or defects, will leave wear and tear alone. Budget is $150 total.

Last edited:
I'd clean it up in an hour or two and spend little as possible. None of those items add value or appeal to buying pool of a car this old. It would to me but the kind of buyer out there for an old car not so much.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I'd clean it up in an hour or two and spend little as possible. None of those items add value or appeal to buying pool of a car this old. It would to me but the kind of buyer out there for an old car not so much.

Yea I agree, don’t expect too much. As for the cars windows try spraying the track liberally with silicone lube as you run it up and down. That’s standard maintenance for those anywys although no one seems to. Same for the seat but use some spray oil. That should loosen it up some.

For the window motors, you probably would be best to buy a new one from rockauto. I don't think you can just replace the resistor (I could be wrong).

I had to do that on my Sienna. Since you are selling I wouldn't bother, you know you need to wait 10 minutes before it to reset. You won't get the money back for those repairs in my opinion.

I would check YouTube for possible fixes on the he seat motor first. Could there be some coins or something else stuck in the mechanism?

For carpet cleaning get a bottle of Folex and use a towel or microfiber to dry it up.

As already mentioned goof off will get that sticker off.

For leather repair i would just clean it up and condition the leather.

The battery is 1/2 year old. It is not battery because only some motor has problems. My suspicion is FIL was opening the window when parking outside all the time, and forgot about it when it rain, or the dirty greasy stuff gets into tracks, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back