Stubborn brake dust on wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WetWilly
I had some aluminum clear coated wheels with brake dust build up so heavy it looked like it had corroded the wheels. Tried the new-ish Meguiars Ultimate Wheel Cleaner, which looks similar to the Wheel Bright product but is maybe a bit thicker for cling. The first pass just letting it soak took the much of the brake dust off well but left pockets where it still looked like corrosion. I did a second pass using a wheel brush, letting the product soak for a few minutes and then scrubbing the wheel down. Wheels ended up looking as good as new.

Next time I have wheels with heavy dust, I'll just soak and scrub from the outset.

I just watched a YouTube vid on that and it looks like it is basically Iron X? In the vid, the guy used it on his paint and it bled purple just like Iron X does, but it stays in place better and the guy also mentioned it was cheaper.

Last edited:
Further update.
What did help a lot was I gave them a quick polish and wax last time I gave them a through clean.
Had the rear wheels off yesterday to adjust the handbrake and gave the wheels a good clean. They are much better, but its clear the surface is quite pitted and feels rough to the finger on the side of the spokes, giving a good surface for the dust to attach for.

I ended up with a drill and a wire brush bit on to get the worst off around the wheel bolts, I want them totally clean as if I can't keep the brake dust at bay, I will respray them, which needs a clean surface anyhow.

My go-to is Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner, which does a splendid job. Not sure on UK availability, but when push comes to shove and Sonax doesn't remove stubborn stains, I use Simple Green Industrial Cleaner and Degreaser at a 50/50 ratio with regulator water in a spray bottle.

As part of the weekly wash, I wash my wheels (both the spokes and the insides) with Dawn dishwashing soap that does a really good job.

Originally Posted By: irv
I just watched a YouTube vid on that and it looks like it is basically Iron X? In the vid, the guy used it on his paint and it bled purple just like Iron X does, but it stays in place better and the guy also mentioned it was cheaper.

Yes, that was the Dallas guy I believe. The Meguiar's does look like Irox X with a bit more cling and, at the moment, is roughly 1/3 the price since it's on sale at Advance Auto for $8 for 24 oz.

I wasn't expecting it do have done as good a job as it did or I would have taken pics.

Going to remove the wheels to clean the insides where the brush didn't reach that well, treat again with the Meguiar's, then put a coat or two of FK1000P on them to hopefully stave off this happening again.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
My go-to is Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner, which does a splendid job.

The Meguiar's Ultimate looks like and works similarly to that particular Sonax product - maybe the post-iron grabbing color is a little different - but it is definitely less expensive.

Unfortunately, brake dust will etch into the clearcoat on wheels, and once it does, there isn't much you can do to remove it without removing the clearcoat...the trick is to clean it off before it etches...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
Unfortunately, brake dust will etch into the clearcoat on wheels, and once it does, there isn't much you can do to remove it without removing the clearcoat...the trick is to clean it off before it etches...

For sure.

I just used Meguiars Hot Rim Wheel cleaner on my son's new to him Saab wheels and they came out great. Mind you, nothing was '"caked" on real bad, there was just a lot of yellowing/brown in the usual places on what I assume were the front 2 wheels.
I purchased this product about a week or 2 ago and thought I'd give it a try. Personally, I am glad I did as I think it did great and it did everything it said it would.

I applied it to dry wheels but immediately started scrubbing as it began to run off rather quickly (tires/wheels were laying flat on the driveway) with a small hand held medium bristle brush.
I knew immediately it was working as my brush and the suds began to darken rather quickly. Nothing took a lot of effort nor elbow grease, just a steady back and forth motion. I only had to clean each wheel once, (other than the spots I missed the first go around) but everything came squeaky clean, including the back side of the rim just like in this vid. 2 thumbs up for me.
cheers3.gif

$13.49 at CDN Tire
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/meguiar-s-hot-rims-wheel-cleaner-0392911p.html

Last edited:
irv,

You can also clay the wheels a little bit to further clean them. Then wipe down with rubbing alcohol (I know your favorite thing to do).
smile.gif
Then apply some Collinite 845. Wheels will clean up with regular car soap for a year or so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
irv,

You can also clay the wheels a little bit to further clean them. Then wipe down with rubbing alcohol (I know your favorite thing to do).
smile.gif
Then apply some Collinite 845. Wheels will clean up with regular car soap for a year or so.

I never heard of claying wheels but I think I will pass on these as they are used and not in new like condition. However, these wheels will definitely be getting a coat wax hopefully sometime this weekend?
I keep forgetting about the IPA too!
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
irv,

smile.gif

Decided to skip the IPA again
blush.gif
and just went ahead and waxed them up with Collinite 845. I was pressed for time and in the mood so I just went at it.
Imo, they turned out pretty good. My son is happy so so am I.
cheers3.gif

Now, I just need to get these tires swapped with his stockers and I will be good to go. My buddy who owns a shop is swamped with work so I am not sure who I'll use or what it will cost to switch out 8 tires and rims?

WP_20180908_08_33_41_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180908_08_34_01_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180908_08_34_14_Pro (2).jpg

I'm so glad I started using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid on our new SUV wheels from the start...they look like brand new after nearly 9 months and have 0 brake dust doing only simple washing.

Like other parts of the exterior...a base of Meg on the surface keeps any dirt, residue, and other junk from making a home on surfaces. Once brake dust takes hold...getting it off becomes a chore.

I cleaned my son's wheels, that are currently on his Malibu, with the Meguiars Hot Rim cleaner yesterday and like his new ones, they also turned out great.

We used it the other night but we only scrubbed with a soft wheel/tire brush which didn't really do much. Yesterday I used the same medium type bristle brush and it worked great as it quickly removed the brake dust on those wheels.

I am pretty happy with this product and will continue to use it if I have to.
cheers3.gif

Those wheels look brand spanking new! Great job irv! Plus getting a durable sealant on there will make spring clean up a breeze.

Last edited:
Those wheels look brand spanking new! Great job irv! Plus getting a durable sealant on there will make spring clean up a breeze.

Thank, SS. I am pretty happy how clean and good they tuned out myself. One wheel has a pretty good section of curb rash on it that I will address in the future likely with a sanding/flap disc on a high speed drill like this guy, ChrisFix, uses in this vid.

Just as a follow up.

What did appear to make a difference was using magic erasers, along with numerous applications of Tcut and a coat of wax.
The magic erasers are probably not wise to use on good wheels as they can scratch and scuff.
Last week I am glad to report that my wheels were finally easy to clean with wheel cleaner, no scrubbing needing.
Yes there is age related damage from baked on brake dust and scratches, but they are finally clean
laugh.gif

Many wheel cleaners out there, check Autogeek and Adams Polishes have had some of the better ones I have used. Can also be used as a Iron Remover for decontamination for paint before paint correction. After cleaning wheels coat with a ceramic wheel coating for easy cleaning for up to at least a year of protection.

I did not read this thread. So forgive me for that. The best wheel cleaner on the planet of Earth (in my own opinion) is Flash Brown Royal. It works way better than the acid based wheel cleaners that you buy at the auto stores. Google it and watch the videos. My experience with it is after applying and waiting a minute or two use a brush to agitate it. Brake dust, even old caked on dust, just melts right off.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back