Strut Questions, 01 Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter has an 01 Civic with about 126K on the clock. The ride is beginning to get springy soft. I see where Monroe currently has a rebate so I'm thinking of having the front's replaced and wondering what is the best way to go.

Can most shops do this job? How can I take it to a shop and still get the rebate? Or, can I? If I were to purchase them, where is the best place to do that?

I read critic's post about Quick Struts, but it appears from Monroe's (and other's) website that there is no app for the Civic. So it seems I will need to get the struts and mounting plates, is that right?

I know I will need an alignment after. Do I need to go to a shop that does alignments too? Or, can it be gotten close enough to take to an alignment shop of my chioce after?

Lastly, about how much should it cost to get this job done?

Thanks in advance.

Most shops can handle this job. Struts are the bread and butter of most tire shops. Monroe's $80 mail-in rebate offer applies to both DIY purchases and professional installation. http://www.rockauto.com seems to be the best place to purchase most auto parts. Google for a 5% off coupon code.

The KYB GR-2 may be a better choice for the Civic. They will improve handling and the cost is similar to the Monroes. based on rumors that I've heard, the Monroes may be a bit too soft for a Civic. Of course, with the current rebate offer, the Monroes are going to be a bit cheaper. Either way, you should replace the front and rears at the same time. Having new front struts and old rear struts (especially ones with 126k) will compromise handling.

As for the alignment itself, I'm not familiar with the Civic. I know that Hondas do not have adjustable camber from the factory. When struts are replaced, camber is usually the only item that is affected. With my Saturn, the reason is because the aftermarket struts have elongated mounting holes that allow for camber adjustment. Therefore, getting an alignment after a strut replacement (doesn't have to be immediate) is highly recommended.

Also, the front strut mounts on the Civic do not act as an upper ball joint, which means that they do not contain a bearing. Therefore, replacement of the strut mount is not mandatory unless it is broken. The same applies to the rear.

A set of front and rear KYB GR-2s cost $355 shipped. Labor is usually around 1.5 hours for each axle. Some shops just charge a flat rate for strut installation, so the price varies. But generally, I would say on average about $150/axle labor for struts and a bit less for shocks.

As a comparison, a front and rear set of Monroe Sensa-Tracs cost $265 shipped after the rebate. ($345-80)

There's a $90 difference, but remember that struts are not items that are replaced frequently. If you make the wrong choice, you're stuck with it for a while. $90 is not a lot when the amount is spread out over several years.

Thanks, I was wondering if I needed to get the 'bearing plate'. Looks like they are about $25.00 a piece.

The Monroe rebate was some incentive to do this, though I don't feel it's an absolute (ie.unsafe, tire cupping) need at this point. I will do some more research into the KYB GR-2's.

Like to be able to tackle it myself, but this would be a stretch for my mech ability. The Quick Strut would be easier, but there's no app.

Talked to a counter guy at AAP, and he was more than happy to tell me I could get a loaner spring compressor with a purchase.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Like to be able to tackle it myself, but this would be a stretch for my mech ability. The Quick Strut would be easier, but there's no app.

Talked to a counter guy at AAP, and he was more than happy to tell me I could get a loaner spring compressor with a purchase.
grin2.gif

Yeah, a spring compressor might be a good idea. Or else, this may happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYFOI_UsVxI

(Fast forward to 1:10)

shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back