Struck Me Odd

I wonder if maybe it's like here lately. Yesterday HEB only had two pumps open, and there was only me and another customer. But both pumps were on either side of the gas pump island. He might've been a total ding dong and thought yours was the only one functional. Or maybe he's one of those "sheeple" and is a total follower and was like "yeah man I'll use that pump!!" sort've like you paved the way for him or something. I see people like that all the time. That would've only made me take even longer on purpose haha. I would've made sure I got every last drop of gas, then waited patiently for my receipt, then maybe squeegeed my windows, cleaned out any trash (which I never have), popped the hood and checked all fluids, maybe checked tire pressure. Then maybe re-tied my shoes. Get in my car finally and fix my hair, make sure my seat belt is nice and comfy, adjust the seat, the steering, scan my fave radio songs looking for that perfect driving song. :D
I didn't but I thought of pumping only $20 moving and getting right behind him to finish and I bet he wouldn't like it but I just
let it go. I found it weird but didn't get excited. Oh well, on to the next ;)

Haha man Zee09 you could've had so much fun with that dude!! You could've suddenly gotten a really confused look on your face, pounded on the pump a few times the way people do to a vending machine that rips them off thinking that'll make their item get dispensed, and then throw your hands in the air and shout back to him, "Pump's out of gas!!". Imagine the look of horror on his face haha!!:ROFLMAO:

I didn't but I thought of pumping only $20 moving and getting right behind him to finish and I bet he wouldn't like it but I just
let it go. I found it weird but didn't get excited. Oh well, on to the next ;)
Haha that would've been awesome!!:D

It didn't at all. Here it is for conversation purposes.
You guys love to go way out and respond with nonsense.
That is why I enjoy this place.
Say the sky is blue and you get 300 unrelated garbage posts... lol
Sorry--I read "Really????????" and that made me think that it really got under your skin.

With my sadistic (good natured) disposition, I would have gone into the store for several minutes after filling up, LOL. Wash your windows. Lift the hood to check the oil. With my gray hair, I might look clueless for a lengthy time about how to operate the pump *. Certainly a "scratch-your-head" incident, but nothing to be concerned about.

* Happened for real a few years ago...... I rented a car with the fuel tank cover switch hidden under the driver's seat, something new to me, LOL.

Last edited:
I just thought of a good analogy:

Pampered women love to go to the day spa on a regular basis for their maintenance, would that be like a car that's dealer serviced all it's life?

Easy to please low maintenance women can do all their personal grooming at home themselves, so that would be like the cars that get's serviced there at home by the owner.

:D

In the mean time, we have guys here that open oil containers in the store to do a sniff test (remember magic elf oil?). Blow into oil filters to test the seal. Debate API certified oils ad-nausea, achieving the same results as 99.999999% of the rest of the mentally stabil population.

EDIT: My point is that we should make fun of women being fickle in a very self aware nature. I think men may suffer this affliction even worse, but we (some) are expected to maintain a John Wayne persona. I think the newer generation is doing much better. Heck, my dad used to yell at me for doing dishes, let alone help with household chores. My wife reminds me which gender is mostly responsible for global unrest.

Now, back to the fun!

Last edited:
In the mean time, we have guys here that open oil containers in the store to do a sniff test (remember magic elf oil?). Blow into oil filters to test the seal. Debate API certified oils ad-nausea, achieving the same results as 99.999999% of the rest of the mentally stabil population.
I was once one of those but I reformed.
Why? Nobody I knew took care of their vehicles at all. I overdid it and they got the same reliability as I did.
Moderation in all things.

This is exact dynamic is dissected in David Foster Wallace's commencement address to Keyon College I posted years ago called "This Is Water"

Paraphrasing it deals will recognition that controlling the context of what one as an adult thinks about directly impacts ones emotions and behavior. He indicates that 'every' experience as an adult is a first person one; it is in the context of one's own life, and seldom do people realize everyone else on the planet has that exact same context.

This results common experiences being realized in realities that are > 1.

Everyone is subject to be in this, as he calls it "prison of thought" and what can free one from this is how they react to it.

It is not difficult formulate a reality from the other person's perspective where what he did was ordinary and normal and not "stupid" as indicated. e.g. He was on the way to the Dr and his wife calls him and the Dr. office asked if he could push his appointment out 15 minutes because the previous appoint was running late. He was almost at the Dr. office and decided he might as well get gas, pulls into the nearest station and queues up; Bear in mind speed is not important and the waiting he does at the station is just displacing the waiting he must be done @ the office, which BTW is filled with sick people.

He refers to being in the above mentioned prison as a kind of arrogance of the 1st person and everyone has exercised it; the key is to recognize and mollify when it is taking over one's emotions and behaviors and tempering it.

I resubmit it and recognize the usual reflexive BITOG ridicule is forthcoming from some

Jump to 2:24 for a explanation for multiple realities
Jump to 12:27 for 'choosing what to think about'

Avoid your default settings, discussion @ 14:27 (listen to this if nothing else)

Last edited:
Out in my truck just now and had to get some gas.
Place was a ghost town. Six rows of pumps and just me.
I get out open up my gas cap and run my card and grab the pump and as I turn
all other lanes are empty but now I have one joker in a CRV waiting behind me.
Really????????
When I pump gas and someone is behind me I have an urgency and waste no time.
Today I went about my business and refused to get my heart rate up. Stupid people!
I frequently end up behind some clown who won't get out of his car to pump gas because he isn't done with his phone. You were lucky he was behind you.

Back