Strongest 0w20 for high speed highway driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what would be the good candidate, start from the strongest that will last 10k km OCI:

Motul 300V, Fuchs Titan GT1 EVO, Mobil 1 EP, PU, PP ?

What are you considering high speed driving? I'd use any full syn 0w20. Added to your list would be M1 0w20 AP/AFE and also Castrol E Professional 0w20.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
5w30 ... any brand
+1

I am only looking for particular 0w20, and not all brand 5w30 is better than full syn 0w20

Originally Posted By: buster
What are you considering high speed driving? I'd use any full syn 0w20. Added to your list would be M1 0w20 AP/AFE and also Castrol E Professional 0w20.

My definition is high speed driving is continuous 90 mph for few hours. Seems M1 AFE have good review but the flash point is much lower than M1 EP.

Great..how Volvo RBSO-2AE compared to BMW LL-14 FE+ ?
Is Volvo RBSO-2AE only for Low-SAPS and BMW will still use mid-SAPS ?

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog

My definition is high speed driving is continuous 90 mph for few hours. Seems M1 AFE have good review but the flash point is much lower than M1 EP.

In which car? 90mph for a 1L NA engine spinning at 5k is working the oil hard. 90 with a 5L V8 at 2800 rpm is nothing to worry about.

M1 EP 0W20, Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 and Castrol Edge 0W20 all have the same KV100 of 8.6 cSt and all carry much the same specs like Dexos1-Gen2. Any of those three should do you.

The M1 EP also lists it's HTHS at 2.7 cP (same as M1 AFE, but the AFE has lower Phos and lower Flash Point than the EP so I would prefer the EP of these two M1 products).

I don't think there is much between most 20 grade products, so if you want "more" go for a 30 grade oil. If you don't want a 30 grade then buy your favorite 20 grade on price or tradition.

However you could consider M1 5W20 EP, it has a KV100 of 8.9 cSt and a HTHS of 2.75 cP. It should also be more shear stable and have a lower Noack volatility compared to a similar 0W20.

In some respects you can consider M1 5W20 EP as a "performance 20 grade oil" (I feel dirty even saying that). Last time I checked the Edge 5W20 was a touch thicker than the Edge 0W20 as well.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
5w30 ... any brand
+1

I am only looking for particular 0w20, and not all brand 5w30 is better than full syn 0w20

If you want a pseudo 20 go with the redline.

Hard driving showing above 120C sump temps require higher HTHS.

I would amend your favourite Xw20 with ~20% sump replacement Xw30 of same brand/spec.

This is called viscosity tailoring.

It is done by those who are in tune with their engines performance and professional builders for competition.

Monitor all aspects of performance and adjust amendment accordingly from your readout.

I’m just wondering where in SE Asia you will be driving 90mph for any extended period of time?

Any major brand will do the job.

Based on SDS posted last fall … M1 EP had twice the PAO over M1 AFE …

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Redline 0w20

That's true, KV100 = 9.1 cSt and HTHS = 2.9 cP. Low Noack of 9% as well

With an HTHS of 2.9 that's basically a 30 weight oil in a bottle that calls it a 20 weight.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I’m just wondering where in SE Asia you will be driving 90mph for any extended period of time?

Any major brand will do the job.

We have quite a number highway that are not crowded and allow to drive a few hours non stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back