Strokes and 3v biting the dust!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I in were this mining company's risk management department, I would install cameras and data loggers in every vehicle to protect the company from the inevitable worker's comp claim. Or do the drivers sign injury waivers to participate in the company demolition derby/tractor pull?

Quote:
"Its just so ________ hard to keep track of people, and in a company with 150 20 million dollar haul trucks side swiping each ohter, roling back down hills, cat d11n carrydozers catching fire, people falling off highwalls, and highwalls faling on people.."

Dude, you are LIVING A REALITY TV SHOW!

Sounds more like a very undermanaged disaster to me. Managment needs to get their heads out of their back sides and take some action. Then again, we are talking about the mining industry. Mining corporation owners are not known for giving a rat's *** about people or the enviroment, only the profit margin.

What it really sounds like they need is a good motorpool operations manager that sign's out vehicles and keeps track of which drivers do the most damage. Those drivers would be the ones getting pink slips at the end of the week.

Have a look at some of Doug Hillary's old posts. Probably no one on here with more experience with HD diesel and lousy conditions (Australia).

DYSON ANALYSIS, yes! UOA is the answer to set the questions in proper order. But you need a pro to read it, so get Terry!

You'll also want to keep in mind that FUEL POWER and LUBE CONTROL were originally designed to combat high diesel oil consumption and sludging/varnishing in the oil field in the 1940's. That set of formulations has been tweaked and upgraded since then. My father was in the oil field business here in Texas and he vividly remembers LUBE CONTROL and it's owner/designer. (Works great for our cars in the 1960's and today).

Bob Winters, PM him by flagging this thread (Bob IS the Oil Guy) .

Sounds to me that a SCHAEFFER's rep would be good (whom Bob might recommend; his health is, like mine, poor these days, so give him time to answer). They've been in oil biz since 1839, and would offer another viewpoint versus a giant who may not be giving you all's problems the attention needed. They are mainly agricultural/industrial suppliers.

ARX would be a whole better shot than magnets.

Contact DONALDSON about off-road filtration; see also, CENTRI Pre-Cleaners.

Good luck.

We hire about 125 people a month! but we lose about 124 people a month!
starts out at 21 bucks an hour.

i had a big ol safety meeting today, and i guess we now have about 1200 people hired on here!
And out of those 1200 1/3 are people that have been there less then 3 months.
thats a LOT of people!

I talked to my boss briefly about a big ol filter like that, but what it comes down to, is it has to be of OEM quality, and it cant be something hacked together outa dryer vent hose and stuff like that. Its gotta be a name brand built to suite kit from someone other then at the mine.

This is no ________, if one of you guys made up a bolt up high eficiancy high capacity air fiter kit that cost you maybe 150 bucks to build, advertised yourself as a kit maker, and marked the price at 500 dollars, i be you couldnt make them fast enough for my mine to buy them.... but i cant retro fit a over the road truck air filtration system to them while im at work. against the rules.

i agree. But it IS so hard, and i have racked my brain to try to figure it out. But when it comes down to production, the mining industy's thought is 'get it done no matter what the cost'

If it blows up a new diesel engine to look good for some visitors that are investors, soooooo what. Whats a 250,000 dollar enigne when that engine has hauled 13,000 LOADS at 350 tons of coal in the last 8 or 9 months?
Its all about production. We cant take the time to sighn out vehicles when there is a truck down somewhere.
I believe it comes down to personal resposibility, and they have really been preaching that lately.
i take car of my trucks.. i got 30 down the coal road, instead of 70, i slow down for bumps, and i dont rod the ________ outa it....
ive NEVER had one break down on me either.

We have a donaldson contract, and i can get the donaldson filters easier then anything, but i need the time to sit down and see what might fit without it being a hack job.
the new 5.4 liter 3v's are going to be easy to put a centrifugal filter under the hood, and keep the factory fitler, but under the hood of a powerstroke f450.... ________. thats gonna be a tough one. It might have to be a pre cleaner centrifugal and go in a fenderwell, or between the grille and the radiator.

Ive been working my behind off the last few days, and im going on my 7 off today!! so ill get soemthing done!

I GET TO WORK IN THE OA LAB TOMORROW!!!
i get to learn to run the analysis machines! Ive taken lots and lots of samples, and have been trying to learn to interpret the results, but im finally gonna get to work in the lab!

Oh one more thing.. they dont get it... you cant just let them run till somethings wrong and take a sample and that one sample tell you whats gong on. Oil anylasis is a tracking device. thats one of the main things im trying to get thru their heads....
thanks for the help guys!
Were on the right track!

DONALDSON: under HEAVY DUTY DUST OPERATING CONDITIONS in search bar at corporate site.

A rep ought to be able to help you put something together from precleaner to two-stage filter.

Those conditions are awesome. A little surprised at the turnover, but, hey, mining

I made the recommendation for a thicker oil because you said that the gas engines have good compression but are losing bearing/lobes..... film thickness baby. You don't need the MPG improving 5w20 in those Ford modular motors.

Its also easier to stock one oil weight across the board for all vehicles. Any of the 5w40 or 15w40 synthetic HDEO's would work great in place of 5w20, 10w30, and 15w40 mineral oils. Since you're already using Chevron oils, try the 5w40 DELO-400 synthetic for ALL vehicles.

Hirev brought up the time interval. A synthetic should work better in that time frame(500hrs). This is why I'll recommend a synthetic. Mileage is meaningless. Install engine timers! Cost isn't an issue. Use the best oil.

I can barely read the pictures above. Feel free to separately post the oil analysis data in the UOA/VOA forums. You'll get a ton feedback there. The virgin(VOA), gas engine used oil analysis, and diesel UOA forums have gathered plenty of info in the past couple years. All that info is available(search for similar engines) and those forums have enough traffic, opinions, and comments to help draw conclusions without hiring consultants. Yep, oil analysis is a tracking device. This doesn't mean that every vehicle needs to be tracked. Similar drivetrains in the same enviroment should post similar numbers.

Silicon in an additive VOA could either be most likely anti-foam additives, or hopefully not 'dirt' from the manufacturer assembly line. I also don't see the need for 'oil additives' when using specific maintenance intervals and quality oils.
But, I'm a firm believer that diesel fuel needs an additive for cleaning and lubricity. And, now that gasoline is refined clean and some areas doped with alcohol(E10), a lubricity additive there might help also. There are plenty to choose from that can be added to the fuel supplys so that everyone refills with 'dosed' fuel.

Those air filters look like garbage. Simply change them more frequently if possible. Hire an air filter tech to make sure that every filter is changed weekly. Money isn't an issue. Buy more filters.

Another option is for your employer to contact an aftermarket air filter manufacturer and see if they can make a add-on disposable prefilter. AEM, Airraid, KN, AFE, Fram, Racor..... might be willing to create something if volume is there. Even a filter box using OEM sized panels or cones, but more or them, parallel or series, would help.

The same can be done with any of the other worn or broken parts. Contact aftermarket suppliers and see if they can make better replacement components. Better ujoints, better bearings, stronger leafsprings, larger diameter shocks, better brake pads,...... can be sourced.

Stress relieving of OEM replacements might make some last longer. Onsite cryogenics, meta-lax, parts refinishing,... prior to use are options to consider.

Sorry, nothing you do will make up for the driver. But speed limits, common sense, speed limiters, engine rpm limiters, are all options that can be considered. Since employee turnover is high, there is not much that can be done with the employees. Where does one apply for one of these jobs?

This company needs an onsite quick lube franchise to take the simple maintenance loads off the shop that should concentrate on the major repairs.

How are the transmissions holding up? And, any other components wearing out overly quickly?

Quote:

I made the recommendation for a thicker oil because you said that the gas engines have good compression but are losing bearing/lobes..... film thickness baby. You don't need the MPG improving 5w20 in those Ford modular motors.

Its also easier to stock one oil weight across the board for all vehicles. Any of the 5w40 or 15w40 synthetic HDEO's would work great in place of 5w20, 10w30, and 15w40 mineral oils. Since you're already using Chevron oils, try the 5w40 DELO-400 synthetic for ALL vehicles.

Hirev brought up the time interval. A synthetic should work better in that time frame(500hrs). This is why I'll recommend a synthetic. Mileage is meaningless. Install engine timers! Cost isn't an issue. Use the best oil.

I can barely read the pictures above. Feel free to separately post the oil analysis data in the UOA/VOA forums. You'll get a ton feedback there. The virgin(VOA), gas engine used oil analysis, and diesel UOA forums have gathered plenty of info in the past couple years. All that info is available(search for similar engines) and those forums have enough traffic, opinions, and comments to help draw conclusions without hiring consultants. Yep, oil analysis is a tracking device. This doesn't mean that every vehicle needs to be tracked. Similar drivetrains in the same enviroment should post similar numbers.

Silicon in an additive VOA could either be most likely anti-foam additives, or hopefully not 'dirt' from the manufacturer assembly line. I also don't see the need for 'oil additives' when using specific maintenance intervals and quality oils.
But, I'm a firm believer that diesel fuel needs an additive for cleaning and lubricity. And, now that gasoline is refined clean and some areas doped with alcohol(E10), a lubricity additive there might help also. There are plenty to choose from that can be added to the fuel supplys so that everyone refills with 'dosed' fuel.

Those air filters look like garbage. Simply change them more frequently if possible. Hire an air filter tech to make sure that every filter is changed weekly. Money isn't an issue. Buy more filters.

Another option is for your employer to contact an aftermarket air filter manufacturer and see if they can make a add-on disposable prefilter. AEM, Airraid, KN, AFE, Fram, Racor..... might be willing to create something if volume is there. Even a filter box using OEM sized panels or cones, but more or them, parallel or series, would help.

The same can be done with any of the other worn or broken parts. Contact aftermarket suppliers and see if they can make better replacement components. Better ujoints, better bearings, stronger leafsprings, larger diameter shocks, better brake pads,...... can be sourced.

Stress relieving of OEM replacements might make some last longer. Onsite cryogenics, meta-lax, parts refinishing,... prior to use are options to consider.

Sorry, nothing you do will make up for the driver. But speed limits, common sense, speed limiters, engine rpm limiters, are all options that can be considered. Since employee turnover is high, there is not much that can be done with the employees. Where does one apply for one of these jobs?

This company needs an onsite quick lube franchise to take the simple maintenance loads off the shop that should concentrate on the major repairs.

How are the transmissions holding up? And, any other components wearing out overly quickly?

WOW! theres so darn much good info in this last post!
i knew that about the 5w20, but it just didnt dawn on me about going to a thicker oil to save the cams and stuff... my Boss said whats haoppening is its just hammering the ________ outa the valves, and its dropping a valve and blowing the engine that way on the last few blown engines.

The high quality oil thing is hard, cause its all about bids, you know exchange of money from the big boss to his son in laws or brothers oil business, stuff like that. i can sugest stuff, and we both know its the RIGHT thing to do, but soethings just plain arent gonna happen. We do get bottles of real good valvoline oil, i guess we could use that exclusively in a couple trucks for a while.
Shoot, i should see if our supplier has a better oil!
that would work!

when i get time tomorrow, ill post up my findings in the other threads. i worked in the oil lab today and got to run samples, it was pretty fun... pretty easy actually!
i didnt have time to run my powerstroke samples, but i will get them ran this weekend, and post results next week on those.
Bad news, my boss thoght if 10 minuts is good, then more is betteron the engine flush! he let it idle, against my sugestion for about 8 hours, then they DROVE IT AROUND and did a 2 hour fuel flush with the enigne at about 1700 rpm!!!

I know the wear metals are gonna be high in that test. I got a sample of te oil before the test, and the oil after the idle torture.

i never thought of an after market company! thats a GREAT idea! thats a good idea for ALL the stuff we keep breaking! like the springs, and gears, and shocks and stuff.
Lately, the seat mount bolts have been tearing out of the body on the 06's. Its nuts, how they are completely cracked out, and the seat is loose after maybe 2500 miles!!!

Thanks for all the info guys, and ill keep posting my findings if yall will keep offering up great sugestions like you are!!!

SEAN!

I find that companies are difficult to change.
Even if supply contracts are sourced by certain 'insiders', this doesn't mean that they can't profit from providing better fluids and components.

Those engines need rev limiters. Lower the redline by 1000rpm and watch those engine last longer. Program the transmission to shift before hitting the rev limiter and noone will notice them there. That should be an easy software update from Ford or any aftermarket tuner. A detune would do wonders when driving pedal to the floor all the time. A detune would save the engine every time the vehicle is 'airborne' with the pedal to the floor.

Quote:

I find that companies are difficult to change.
Even if supply contracts are sourced by certain 'insiders', this doesn't mean that they can't profit from providing better fluids and components.

is a d rate, or a detune somehting that the factory will do? My boss is a 'by the book' guy, first and foremost, and if its not factory, its pretty hard to get him to do it. Buying a bunch of aftermarket stuff is a great idea, and would extend the lives of these trucks a lot!

Im going to sugest the heavier oil, i cant believe i didnt think of that myself, ive been literaly racking my brain for weeks trying to help these engines out! LOL!

Those engines need rev limiters. Lower the redline by 1000rpm and watch those engine last longer. Program the transmission to shift before hitting the rev limiter and noone will notice them there. That should be an easy software update from Ford or any aftermarket tuner. A detune would do wonders when driving pedal to the floor all the time. A detune would save the engine every time the vehicle is 'airborne' with the pedal to the floor.

Quote:

what psi are the tires kept at?

im not sure on that one. We use nitrogen, so the contractor that takes care of the haul truck tires, takes car of ALL tires. i know that they are recaps on factory rims! But they fo thru a set of tires in about 2000 miles on account of the scoria!

Quote:

This is no ________, if one of you guys made up a bolt up high eficiancy high capacity air fiter kit that cost you maybe 150 bucks to build, advertised yourself as a kit maker, and marked the price at 500 dollars, i be you couldnt make them fast enough for my mine to buy them.... but i cant retro fit a over the road truck air filtration system to them while im at work. against the rules.

Get this:
http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=93

With this:
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.aspx?key_word=outerwear&partfamilyid=1543

"Hey Boss: I have an idea that can increase engine life AND SAVE YOU MONEY. By using these re-usable airfilter components, we can just wash them at the end of each shift, re-install them, and they filter BETTER then stock. There is no oil to buy and maintenance is a breeze."

Better yet.. Buy 1 K&N Filter to go along side the AEM.. That should finally help cure the filtration debate...

banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif
tombstone.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Better yet.. Buy 1 K&N Filter to go along side the AEM.. That should finally help cure the filtration debate...

Didn't you hear? K$N can barely keep out bugs and leaves.

i wouldnt like the coversation to change on this thread, but i have seen in my own oa's that my kn filter was pretty useless...

deadhorse.gif

it is what they say it is... a RACE filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back