Strokes and 3v biting the dust!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not go all synthetic at this point. I think Schaffers #9000 5W40 semi-synthetic combined with better airfiltering would improve durability. I think that oil filter is too late! By the time the oil filter gets to the dirt their is too much in the oil that will get past the oil filter or plug it up! You definately should have a UOA program in place and Terry Dyson is the one to best help the company. He is a proffesional and gets paid to solve problems like you are haveing.

I think that someone needs to explain to your drivers how to properly use a vechile. Their are times when you have to be hard on them and take some risk's to get tings done but not all of the time. The drivers should be penilized for haveing to many issues with their vechile. It would not take long with a spreadsheet to see which drivers were haveing the more then normal failure rates.

I am thinking that a washable foam prefilter is going to be the ticket.

no way to keep track. It would be a literal act of ________ to be able to track whos in what.
i mean, just for the haul trucks we have, we had a system called Minestar installed, and it cost us over 3 million dollars, and we had to hire two fulltime employess that fork every day, and they barely keep it going.

We have like 300 people a shipt times 4 shifts, plus about 300 daytime mon-fri people. Each one of them, during their shift, each have their own vehicle. thats a lot of vehicles to take care of.
Its just so ________ hard to keep track of people, and in a company with 150 20 million dollar haul trucks side swiping each ohter, roling back down hills, cat d11n carrydozers catching fire, people falling off highwalls, and highwalls faling on people.. see.
it SHouLDT have to be my personal mission in this billion dollar company to fix this problem, but its personally fun for me for one, and itll get me a leg up with the ;big boys' also!
thanks again for the help, and if ANYONES this way on vacation, or crossing the country on you big rig, stop by, ill give you a personal tour.. the place really is breathtaking!

After seeing those filters, if I visit, I'm holding my breath.
shocked.gif

Maybe they need to do some suspension mods on the small vehicles. I bet a mine has some pretty rough terrain.

popcorn.gif
What a fun thread!

Is there a way you could "restrictor plate" one of the gas trucks and/or turn down the boost on one of the turbodiesels? The way it sounds, getting a "good" truck from the pool is a carpshoot anyday, so if one seems a little doggy this might seem less ordinary. Then you could track the slower vehicles and see if they last longer.

Ford has to have an engineer whose brain you could pick for adding "nanny" governor devices. Just threaten to jump ship for chevy and they'll be buying you a lobster dinner! Of course if your coworkers found out you did this you'd be hurtin' for certain...
laugh.gif

Quote:

Im gettin you some UOS's, and ill get more this week, and will be done by the time i get back to work next week.

What do i need to tell them to look for, cause they can do anything.. what TOP important?
whats a good OIC, or will we find that out with the UOS's?

I would be looking at the numbers on Aluminum, Iron, Copper, Lead ,tin, Silicon, Nickel, Silver, insoulbles, Fuel, mostly. Also I would highly recommend a TBN also be done on the used oil. I would see what the UOAs are looking like to establish OCI.

Oh dude..... you have NO IDEA!!
We CONSTANTLY put brakes, wheelbearings, they break springs maybe one a day F350 SPRINGS!!!
We replace all the brakes and shocks about everyother PM, the drive shaft, u joiunts and yolks every couple PM's..

This is a no dooky story... When hummer first got the gov contract and they were making the humv trucks or whatever, you know chevy nonturo diesel, 700r4 tranny single cab. they asked us if they could loan us a dozen to eat up and test...
yeah. not one was running after two 12hour shifts!
As a matter of fact after a week, they pulled the project, and gave us one for helping them. It hasnt run for more then a week at atime, and these F350 will just run circles around a full blown mil spec humv for durability.

you know, Guys, ive done some pretty hard 4x4 stuff in my personal truck, jumped some bar ditches, went across some cattle ruts chasing coyotes, and i have NEVER experienced terrain as rough and unforgiving as a well manicured, constatly graded Coal haul road!

Oh, and the Dust id bad.... crazy bad.. Imagine 4 feet of silt like fine powder, and 6 20 foot tall tires blasting thru it at 35mph!!!

Some of the smaller mines run Chevys.. I dont want this to turn into a chevy VS ford discussion, but honestly and coming from a GM guy... chevys last maybe half as long. They crack frames like they were made of glass....., diff housings explode, spring mounts tear off easy, they are just not cut out for what we do to them.
i dont know about the restrictor plate style idea. My boss is a 'by the book' guy. these trucks are certified 'off road' and he still runs the cats no matter what. hel uy a 1500 dollar ford cat before ________ just replace it with a 30 dollar cherry bomb.
So computer modifications are prettymuch outa the question.

When i first started at the mine, i couldnt believe how big ol POS these light vehicles were, but after crawling under a few of them for the last few months... they take a beating and keep on ticking. we have some 2WD 5.4 E350 vans out that that are still beating aound, andthey are 1998's!!! now THATS longevity!

Please keep in mind that we litterally have ten times the amount of brand new parts on our shel then the ford DEALERSHIP has!!! LOL!

Our favorite saying when someone drags in a broke butt truck that just did its best dying impression of the General Lee is...
"Its a Clean One Owner!!"

Im trying to keep the info and fun flowing so i can get a lot of feedback from you guys. you have already helped a lot!

Ok, heres some UOA's
One of a 2006 5.4 triton is got acouple thousand miles on it, and its got 1200 miles on this OIC ( the pics i posted up)

the other three are base line oil samples, and a BG additive sample.
whats up tith all that magnesium, and 13ppm of SILICON?!?! WTH??

thanks guys!!!

1200miles.jpg

15-40baseline.jpg

5-20baseline.jpg

bgoiladditive.jpg

i have a few UOA's in on the 'strokes.. it takes the oil sample girl maybe 45 minutes to get me my print out! HA! TAKE THAT! Its so cool to have 2 or 3 personal oil assistants around!!!LOL!

What should a 'regular' silicons be for a 5000 miles oci on a regular everyday vehicle?

how come the BG additive has 13ppm of silicons already in it?!?!

No coolant or radiators blocked?
Perhaps you need an operator-signed pre-shift inspection checklist that includes some basic visual PM, like knocking out the air filter, checking oil, coolant, and blocked radiators.
It sounds like these cowboy operators are taking some perverse pride in destroying your company's equipment. You can't track, never mind prevent, any failures until there's some kind of operator accountability. Sounds like it would be cheapest to simply give each driver a vehicle expense allowance and make them purchase and maintain their own vehicle. I would expect to see immediate improvement after that.

It is very possible that these vehicles are runing with a totally blocked radiator. not blocked in coolant flow, but blocked in air flow. These roads flip up dirt and rocks, and literally pound the radiator slats closed!
and whats not pounded closed gets packed with coal dust. you cant even blast the dust out with a water hose becauset he pressure it would take beats the fins closed!
they dont over heat as per the pcu and the temp gauge though....
the trucks are a first come first serve basis. they are just taxis. they are just a quick 5 minut trip vehicle most of the time, sure there are some guys that are in them all day, and those ones take pretty good care of them, to the point of bringing them into the shop and doing repairs to them themselves!

now the personal trucks, we DO do that, but only for salaried supervisors. i guess they had to for the simple fact that if its your truck you take better care of it! BUT they get like 800 bucks a month to do this with!
the couple smart ones have a 1985 chevy one ton single cab, and a mid 80's ford f250 single cab!
The rest drive brand new 4 dor dodge cummins dually bells and whistles trucks!

the two with the ol beaters..... my bosses! LOL! smart guys!

What do you guys think of the oil analysis?
Sounds like if the terrian doesn't kill the truck then the drivers will.
laugh.gif

I only have one question: WHERE DO I APPLY TO WORK AT THIS MINE!!! Sounds like a frikkin blast!!! (not for you though - DOH!)

Yea, I doubt your gonna do much for longevity via different oil or filters when you have guys jumping the trucks! I think the best thing you can do is have the higher ups actually do some, you know, managing? They need to get some good bean counters in there to figure out how much money it costs the company when everyone abuses the ________ out of the trucks!

Sounds like if you installed a huge aftermarket heavy equipment air filtration setup on these trucks, it would just get knock right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back