Stripped threads on oil pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav

spankme2.gif
Don't say use a torque wrench on a drain plug here on BITOG! Its the mark of a rank amateur, there is no need, any mechanic should have the "feel" and so on.
Those remarks have been repeated here again and again even though they are absolutely 100% incorrect.

LOL! I've been religiously using torque wrench on drain plugs long before I start servicing Honda alu oil pans, and against all the remarks of those "so-called" experienced mechs, etc. Not 1 stripped/seized bolts so far (as opposed to them who have at least a couple of failures already).

guess whose laughing now.

(*BTW: I was also the early adopters RE: using neoprene gloves (whenever possible) while doing mech work 20yrs ago, and back in those days, I was (again) being laughed at for behaving like a wuss.......fast forwarding 20+yrs now: some of the mechs that resisted the recommendation now been diagnosed with enlarged livers and with high toxicity level in blood; and me? still good up until this day...

Q.

I have a tap and die set, so I just make the threads one size larger. After that, I get a generic drain plug from a parts store that has the same thread pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back