Stripped Oil drain bolt

It looks like one of these aluminum magnetic plugs, they break easily. When the head breaks off during install there is no longer tension on the threads and they will spin right out. Maybe the OP can confirm or show us what he put in.

View attachment 32413

Hey gents, thanks for all the replies. The drain bolt is exactly like the one post by Trav. Stripped maybe the wrong word, more so broke the head of the bolt while twisting it it, it snapped off. The bolt itself was going in easy, i make sure to counter spin before going clockwise so the threads line up properly.

So I tigntened the bolt, spun it one more time and it snapped. so the bolt is in the pan.

Clean it with brake cleaner then a drop (just a drop, not all over the place) of super glue on the smooth end of a drill bit see if it spins out CC by hand, do not use it under power.

Edit for clarification.

Last edited:
You have to be careful with a clockwise drill not to spin the stud all the way into the pan Then you get more fun. Since it is aluminum a sharp pick tapped on one side might give enough hold to turn it out. If it is loose ,which seems like it would be unless you cross threaded it like others said.

Hey gents,

So an update on what's going on. So I got the actual bolt at with some help from a friend, used the left hand drill bit and the bolt portion came out, nothing was cross threaded thankfully. However, the magnet portion of the drain plug, which is a tiny piece, is still, well, in the pan. It's stuck to the inside of the bottom portion of the pan.

Now I am wondering, should I drop the pan, take the little magnet out? I do not want to run the risk of it getting sucked up though I know it won't happen since there is a screen on the pump in the pan which would not allow that to happen. Should I leave it or just drop the pan out anyway? Also, thanks again everyone for the help and assistance, it is appreciated.

Hey gents,

So an update on what's going on. So I got the actual bolt at with some help from a friend, used the left hand drill bit and the bolt portion came out, nothing was cross threaded thankfully. However, the magnet portion of the drain plug, which is a tiny piece, is still, well, in the pan. It's stuck to the inside of the bottom portion of the pan.

Now I am wondering, should I drop the pan, take the little magnet out? I do not want to run the risk of it getting sucked up though I know it won't happen since there is a screen on the pump in the pan which would not allow that to happen. Should I leave it or just drop the pan out anyway? Also, thanks again everyone for the help and assistance, it is appreciated.

Look in some transmissions and the factory just knocks a dip stick plug into the pan, it cant block anything or get sucked into the internals, same with this. You have a steel pan so it is stuck close to the hole. To remove it get a fairly strong neodymium magnet let it grab the bottom of the pan then slowly move it towards the drain plug hole, it will grab it a pull it to the hole but you may need to use a small stick magnet to get it out of the hole.

Hey guys,

Again, thanks for all the suggestions and such. I appreciate it. I decided to just take the pan off. Like you said Trav it was stuck close to the hole, right above it to be frank.

just going to clean the pan as to where the RTV use be, make it smooth and clean the pan out. Then I’ll stick it back on and torque the bolts accordingly per spec. Once again, thanks everyone. Luckily the pan wasn’t stripped. Saved myself what? $100 + labor from my mechanic but more so I learned how to take a pan off, sealant to use and to stay the hell away from aluminium plugs. Cheers.

Attachments

• 00A9C462-6C2F-479C-9567-B0C956DB6985.jpeg
    00A9C462-6C2F-479C-9567-B0C956DB6985.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 51
Back