Stripped lug nut

I'm sure I could do it, but then I was sure I could put the tire back on without any issues. o_O I have changed many tires over the years, but my mechanic days are over and money is no object, so I'll let the pros take care of it at the dealership. These days I just do oil and filter changes.

Most likely someone else damaged the stud and you just finished it off.

Cleatus puts it on with a big blast.. checks.. with "the torque wrench clicked its good" method.

I tighten lug nuts with my cordless impact wrench all the time, but on the LOW setting which I know is less torque than needed, then finish up by hand with a 4-way wrench, or torque wrench if feeling ambitious (if I had it out for more than just the lugs on a single wheel).

Some studs are very easy to replace. Others require pulling the hub off some to get enough clearance between it and whatever (knuckle) behind it.

Yes it’s fine when Sam’s stripped the ones on our 2004 Camry and I broke two off doing brakes we drove it on three for almost 6 months I checked torque on them weekly. I’m near the same area you are in so I’m sure it will be fine.
No, driving on 3 is not fine. It’s risking the lives of others around you. A safety margin is designed in for emergencies, to get you home if caught in a bushfire or something. Not for you to ignore it for 6 months.

First time using an impact wrench and I stripped one of the lug nuts and stud. Am I okay running on four lugs instead of five for the next 3,000 miles until my next scheduled service? I don't speed but we do have a lot of hills and curves here.
You should be good till you can get the stud replaced. Invest in a torque wrench and hand torque your lug nuts and save the power tools for removal.

No, driving on 3 is not fine. It’s risking the lives of others around you. A safety margin is designed in for emergencies, to get you home if caught in a bushfire or something. Not for you to ignore it for 6 months.
Well it wasn’t my choice to drive on three lol. We didn’t have any issues so we are lucky there.

You should be good till you can get the stud replaced. Invest in a torque wrench and hand torque your lug nuts and save the power tools for removal.
I usually install with impact just use the low power setting. then finish off with torque wrench.
as long as the lugnut moves with the torque wrench you did it correctly.
of course start the lugnuts by hand so you dont cross thread with power tool.

Anyone that wants an awsome torque wrench that will last a lifetime I recommend the Precision Instruments split drive style. Made in USA.

Price is currently about 20$ less than I paid at $142

I usually seat one lugnut near completely by hand, so I'm sure the wheel centre bore sits on the hub. After that I get the rest of the nuts or bolts started by hand, and torque them lightly with the impact. I finish them once the wheels are on the ground with the torque wrench

My neighbor has been running 3/5 nuts for years! As long as the missing 2 nuts are opposite it seems to work fine. YMMV

Well no more impact wrench for tightening, just removing. I do have a torque wrench but didn't realize the importance of torqueing lug nuts - appreciate the advice! Turns out access to the wheel stud was rather complicated on my 2019 Altima, so I'm glad I didn't attempt it myself.

BTW, my flat tire was caused by a piece of sharp gravel that the county spreads on paved roads before expected ice or snow storms. There have been a rash of such "gravel flats" in our county - I have two friends that also had them, and the tire repair shop owner said he fixes gravel flats every day and they account for well over 60% of the flats he fixes. I wrote to our county supervisors, and they in turn contacted the state Department of Transportation to investigate. Seems kind of silly to be spreading small sharp and jagged pieces of rock on paved roads.

This is the piece that caused my flat. It is only 1/2 inch long.

TS1_6396bs6.jpg

Back