Stripped lug nut

First time using an impact wrench and I stripped one of the lug nuts and stud. Am I okay running on four lugs instead of five for the next 3,000 miles until my next scheduled service? I don't speed but we do have a lot of hills and curves here.

It will probably be ok. At times, I have had to do the same and did not have any issues.

At least there are 5 lug instead of 4 lug!

I replaced one on my car a while ago. Fairly easy to do yourself and if you don't want to attempt it, it should not cost much to have a local tire shop do it for you. It would only take them 15 minutes. I don't know if it's safe or not to drive on only 4. It probably would be fine, but for just a few dollars, why have that worry in the back of your head.

Reactions: SR5
I've done it in the past ,run down the road with 4 instead of 5 but I think I would get it changed as soon as you could

Without knowing the specific vehicle, type of rim, loading, etc. no one can say it is safe. The manufacturer used 5 lugs for a reason.

Also, what did you torque the other lugs too? You did use a torque wrench and not an impact t, right?

Get it fixed.

First time using an impact wrench and I stripped one of the lug nuts and stud. Am I okay running on four lugs instead of five for the next 3,000 miles until my next scheduled service? I don't speed but we do have a lot of hills and curves here.
It may cause your brake rotor to distort. It is similar to having unevenly tightened lug nuts.

You may be okay. But this type of advice is dangerous to give.

It's like saying you're okay to operate a mill without safety gasses. There's always the one time it can bite you.

Thanks all! I'll take it in to the shop tomorrow morning to have it replaced.
Good idea, cheap insurance.

Sure it will probably be OK, but if something did go wrong, and you knew about the issue, and decided to do nothing about it. Then the law will be looking strongly at you, and you insurance company would just walk away from you.

Do it yourself and save $$$$.
Knock the broke stud out and use a lug nut with your impact to draw the new one in. 10-20 minutes max. ;)
That's what a tire shop/mechanic shop is going to do. :rolleyes:

Do it yourself and save $$$$.
Knock the broke stud out and use a lug nut with your impact to draw the new one in. 10-20 minutes max. ;)
That's what a tire shop/mechanic shop is going to do. :rolleyes:
First time using an impact wrench, stripped
nut. I would not experiment trying to extract that stud using the impact wrench. You might end up needing stud extractors, drill, drill bit... Better the shop :)

I have found out you definitely cannot run with only 2 lug nuts. 4 should be fine, and there are many on the road like that. I wouldn't wait for 3000 mile though.

The amount of labor and necessary expertise involved in replacing a wheel stud varies widely. In many cases it's simple DIY, but in others it is not.

It's a bad idea to try to tighten anything with an impact. They're great for loosening though. No such thing as over-loosening. Just be sure gun direction matches the fastener chirality.

Last edited:
First time using an impact wrench, stripped
nut. I would not experiment trying to extract that stud using the impact wrench. You might end up needing stud extractors, drill, drill bit... Better the shop :)
I have replaced BOO KOO studs in my uncles gas station and his tire store right up the road. Also, in my old shop and on my driveway. I have used an impact, lug wrench, 1/2" & 3/4" drive ratchets with sockets, to draw the new stud in. And, I never stated to EXTRACT the the stud with an impact. I stated to KNOCK it out!
If he's not comfortable doing it himself, then yes, by all means, let a shop do it. I was thinking he could save $$$$ doing it himself.
C'est La Vie! ;)

Yes it’s fine when Sam’s stripped the ones on our 2004 Camry and I broke two off doing brakes we drove it on three for almost 6 months I checked torque on them weekly. I’m near the same area you are in so I’m sure it will be fine.

Back