Stripped diff plug

Changing the engine and rear diff oil on my 250 Timberwolf….drain plug on the diff takes a 6mm Allen, whoever did it before me stripped it out….whats the best way to get this plug out? ViseGrips? A friend of suggested hammering a Torx socket in it. Any suggestions are welcome.

137B3E7F-6811-4D2F-8652-7DAFBFF01558.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have access to a welder you could tack a grade 5 or 8 nut on there to give you something fresh to lock onto.

I'd take a hammer and chisel to it. Once it's loose, a pair of pliers (if not just your fingers) should turn it out easily.
Yup!
I always chisel it straight on and make a deep groove. Then hammer it to the left with same chisel til it comes loose. Make sure you have another drain plug first.

Changing the engine and rear diff oil on my 250 Timberwolf….drain plug on the diff takes a 6mm Allen, whoever did it before me stripped it out….whats the best way to get this plug out? ViseGrips? A friend of suggested hammering a Torx socket in it. Any suggestions are welcome.

View attachment 97019
It’s been a week. Will we get “ The rest of the story” ? :)

Yup!
I always chisel it straight on and make a deep groove. Then hammer it to the left with same chisel til it comes loose. Make sure you have another drain plug first.
On a aluminum bike case though? You don't know how strong it really is. Should be fine but the expendable plug is way stronger than the case.
I think I'd dremel a notch and then try the hammer and chisel to spin it. A few medium raps with the hammer to the plug might help it loosen a bit, but I wouldn't beat on it too much...

Good suggestions already made.
Combo of above suggestions. Cut or chisel a groove into one side and then punch and hammer to loosen it. Just some tapping to turn counterclockwise should do loosen it, or a good whack or two if that doesn't work.
Alternate for me would be Dremel a groove across and use a hand impact drive and wide blade.
Kroil for a day or two won't hurt you're effort either.

Back