Stripped cam gear on John Deere 425.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It finally happened...

Lost the plastic cam gear on the '95 John Deere 425 with over 2300 hours on it.

The dealer said that they usually fail between 1500-2000 hours...with some failing as early as 1000 hours.

I've been running Rotella T 10w-30 ($10 a gallon) in it for years, along with either a Puro Classic or Wix low-end (Napa Select/AutoExtra) filter. The engine is spotless on the inside, there's not even any brown staining.

I guess that I've been doing something right, to beat those odds.

Plastic engine parts...thats the way its done nowadays.Tell a farmer in 1955 that his tractor had plastic parts in the engine and he would scream bloody murder! They had to last back then....indefinitely.

Mine went at a little over 1200 hours, the good thing is that the replacement cam gear is metal.

Thanks for the post. It is nice to know that quality oil and filters did there job for longevity and cleanliness of the engine.

17yrs and 2300hrs. Not a bad run for that Kawasaki I'd say

and yet it's rebuildable.

Joel

I'm thoroughly convinced of the quality of the Rotella T 10w-30 oil, in an application like this. And at just $11 a gallon.

That happened to my neighbor's 425 a couple years ago. He pulled it over to my shop and we repaired it for (as I remember) less than $100 and about 3 hours.

Not hard to fix at all, and we must have done it right because he was mowing with it on Sunday.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
It finally happened...

Lost the plastic cam gear on the '95 John Deere 425 with over 2300 hours on it.

The dealer said that they usually fail between 1500-2000 hours...with some failing as early as 1000 hours.

I've been running Rotella T 10w-30 ($10 a gallon) in it for years, along with either a Puro Classic or Wix low-end (Napa Select/AutoExtra) filter. The engine is spotless on the inside, there's not even any brown staining.

I guess that I've been doing something right, to beat those odds.

Impressive engine. I seem to remember pics your posted one time of the engine and it was spotless inside. What oil change intervals are you using hour wise?

Originally Posted By: nomochevys
Impressive engine. I seem to remember pics your posted one time of the engine and it was spotless inside. What oil change intervals are you using hour wise?

Once a year, which is on average every 125 hours.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: nomochevys

Once a year, which is on average every 125 hours.

Wow. I dont know what Kaw recommends but that is even more impressive. I change mine about every 50 or so give or take. I am definately going to get some Rotella 10w 30.

On this engine, it is a once a year change, or every 150 hours... whichever comes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back