Stripped Allen Head Set Screw, A Job For An Easy-Out ?

I need to replace the cartridge in a shower valve. The handle is retained by a tiny Allen head set screw. When I tried to remove it, it was apparent that the screw head was stripped as I could feel the little L shaped wrench slipping in the socket.
Is an appropriate size Easy-Out the tool for the job ?

I don't think E_Z Outs come that small.

Best of luck with your task but don't be at all surprised if it's new faucet / diverter time. Those things fuse solidly....the cartridges are discontinued by the companies. In the cases of cheap hardware, the metals used dissolve and new parts won't even fit right.

Try tapping a torx bit in there, if that fails drill the head off and go after it with small vise grips if there is enough left to grab, I don't have much hope but you may get lucky.
Try any type of sacrificial bit that you don't care about damaging. how small is this hole? Just a few millmeters, I'm guessing. I guess you can't use a dremel cut off wheel to make a groove into the bit without damaging the other part of the valve.

The set screw is maybe 3-4mm in diameter and sits about an eighth inch deep down into the threads on the side of the handle. So I will need to get something small in diameter down into the hole to grab the set screw.
I thought about trying to tap a Torx bit into it, but I am afraid of pounding sideways on the valve stem. I'll look for a hex head screw extractor and if that fails may have to drill it out. Worst case is that I need to buy a new handle which I'm sure won't be too expensive.

This is a pretty common problem for which the only solution sometimes is cutting the sucker off. The good brands still make the valves for old systems so with any luck you'll be able to just replace the valve, handle, and trim.

Put a bunch of valve stem grease in there when you reassemble. Might slow down the rusting/disintegrating over time.

jeff

Irwin makes a great spline hexhead remover

Back