street bike tires - bias ply or radial?

Status
Not open for further replies.
as I shop for tires for my buell I was suprised that it has bias plys on it currently. any opinions on radials vs. bias plys? and I presume they should be balanced?

You didn't identify the specific model of Buell so can't make a specific reply, however, almost always, you are best off to replace with the TYPE of tire that came O.E. on the bike because the fork spring rates, shock dampening rates, etc. are based on the tire characteristics and weight. i.e. the tires are part of the over all suspension design. Radials and bias ply tires can have fairly significant compliance differences because of the different internal construction and cord layout, etc., thus possibly affecting handling. Check you Owner's Manual and/or with a dealer.
(I assume H-D dealer still service Buell and have service info.)

Yes....you are far better off by having a proper balance job done on the new tires. Out of balance tires can be annoying (shaking or vibration at speed) and can also develop irregular wear problems. Not a good place to cut corners. If you are going to get new tires, do it right. Also, be sure to replace the valve stems if you have tubless tires. They don't wear out, but the rubber hardens over time increasing the probability of a leak between the stem rubber and the wheel. CHEAP insurance, especially on a motorcycle.

If it come from the factory with radials, stay with radials. If it come with bias-ply, stay with bias ply.

You need to find out what is correct. Here's a hint... Unless you bought it new, the tires on it now may not be correct.

With some motorcycles, it is better to stay with certain recommended makes and models of tires. Just because it is a radial (or bias-ply) and it fits, the tire may not meet the requirements of the motorcycle.

Balancing is not always necessary with good name brand tires (Dunlop, Bridgestone, etc).

What will you be doing with the motorcycle? Commuting? Racing? Riding up the interstate at 130 miles an hour?

If the person mounting the tires puts the paint dot on the sidewall in the proper position on the rim, and the motorcycle is going to be ridden at something less than 85 miles an hour, balancing is optional.

Of course, if you use tires made by Shinko, or Cheng Shin.... then that goes out the window. Those will need to be balanced.

Valve stems... every 5 years is fine.

Michelin Pilot Power is my choice of tire. It's a radial tire I believe. Making sure they're properly balanced is important. You don't want a choppy ride.

I was the first in my group to use radials on my motorcycle. Dunlops. I wish I could remember the model number. Anyway, they weren't really that great. Stuck about as well as a Dunlop K591 but would squirm in corners. Very unsettling. (In the '80s, the K591 was the sportbike tire, not the Harley Davidson tire it is today)

Then I got a set of Metzeler ME33 Laser and ME1 CompK bias ply tires. They were amazing compared to the Dunlops, Avons, Yokohamas, and Pirellis. I had run before. I stuck with them for a long time. No need to choose anything else.

Except I picked up a rather large screw on the front tire near the sidewall. I got a set of Michelin take-offs (and had to mount both because they were radials) Wow. What I thought had been the absolute best in tires, the Metzelers, were soon found lacking. Ask the CBR600F3 and F4 riders who got passed on the inside by a 400cc naked bike. And they lasted a long time too.

If I had an 1125R it would definitely have radials.

its the original bias ply dunlop K330's. some came from factory with Pirelli MT 75 (radial)

I almost did not notice that the dunlops were bias ply and the Pirelli=radial.

the bike eats tires. rear tire gone in 4300 miles. apparently this is common with the Buell. I was gonna throw on a Pirelli in the back and leave the front. now that I noticed the bias ply/radial difference I either need to replace both or get another bias ply.

odd size too: 120/80-16 rear 100-80-16 front

Don't knock Shinko's till you try them. every bit as good as the Bridgestone BT-023 I used previous.

No, I wasn't going to knock Shinkos, until they had to recall every stinking tire that they'd released for one of my bikes, due to a unpredictable delamination issue. That just happens to be a quality that I don't want in a motorcycle tire.

I'm sure they're a good quality tire. Just not for my bike.

I'm thinking Avon 26. (for longevity) oddly enuf, on one of the Buell forums, someone recommends Pirelli MT75 front and the Avon in the rear. that would be mixing a radial with a bias ply...

Originally Posted By: tomcat27

odd size too: 120/80-16 rear 100-80-16 front

IIRC correctly, the Kawasaki EX250F Ninja uses that combination. If it does, you should have lots of choices. The EX250F was in production mostly unchanged for almost 20 years

The Kawasaki ZX600A, B, & C models used a 110/90/16 - 130/90/16.
I really liked the Metzelers if you can fit a 130/90/16 on the rear without belt or swingarm interference (I actually ran a 140/80/16 on the Ninja...no grinding necessary. 150wide would have required some clearancing.

I change a lot of motorcycle tires.... even put car tires and run-flat tires on some....

Just an observation: everyone says that running a combination of bias and radial tires is a no-no but there are some bikes that come from the factory in just that configuration.

For me, I would go to a Buell forum and search the tire threads to find out what everyone likes, according to my intended driving style.

Originally Posted By: kballowe

I change a lot of motorcycle tires.... even put car tires and run-flat tires on some....

Just an observation: everyone says that running a combination of bias and radial tires is a no-no but there are some bikes that come from the factory in just that configuration.

For me, I would go to a Buell forum and search the tire threads to find out what everyone likes, according to my intended driving style.

best advice on this whole thread so far.. and exactly what i would do if i was a new buel owner in need of fresh hoops

Bias ply and radial ply combinations work very well. On an adventure touring bike (BMW GS, Suzuki V-Strom, etc) it is not uncommon to see a front bias knobby (Contentinal TCK80) and a radial rear (Michelin Anakee, Metezler Tourance, etc).

I really like my radial Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires...the best of any tires I've been on yet. If radials fit your bike, I'd get them. I agree about the valve stem...replace. For the mileage, some tires do deliver better wear, but some types of rock used in roads in certain regions are like riding on sandpaper. All tires will wear fast. Some of the cheaper tires might give you lower tire+labor cost per mile. Shinko, etc., aren't bad.

Bikes that were originally made for bias tires generally have too narrow of wheels for low profile radials. Go the tire makers list of recommended tires to see if they are a 'good fit' for your bike. If not don't push it and put some goofy size tire on that 'fits' the wheel. Wrong profile can result and the lean angle footprint may be crazy wrong. Not good at all... The width and aspect ratio are very important for proper handling and overall safety. Stick with the oem size, it's not a truck wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back