Strategy for cleaning this gauge cluster? -PICS-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my Cruze about a year ago and the gauge cluster has always been kind of foggy in spots. It sort of looks like something was sprayed on it that shouldn't have been.

I've never tried to clean the lens on the gauge cluster on any of my cars before.

What types of products and methods would you all recommend?

CG1%20-%20Copy-2000.jpg

CG2%20-%20Copy-2000.jpg

f2435eea-7de4-4566-be49-63059285fc9b.jpg

Can you tell if it on the inside or outside? If it's on the outside I would try some warm water with dish detergent and a soft cloth.

It's probably Armor All. Dish detergent is an excellent degreaser that is gentle.

Not sure, id try dishdudes suggestion first and if not maybe headlight lens polish? Just a thought, im not 100% sure if it would work but the cluster is plastic.

Before you try a polish which may clean the residue but add fine scratches I would wipe it with my damp chamois after drying the exterior of the car. Use the eraser end of a pencil to push it if it can't get into every little corner.

Mild degreaser with a slightly damp microfiber, works every time. No need for something "special." If the spots are there after a good cleaning, then you get aggressive.

Use a simple microfiber with just plain water. If that doesn't work try some spray detailer with the microfiber. Then - if these methods do not work - you step up to plastic polish.

The spots on that lens illustrates why masking with paper and tape is so important when using interior treatments.
You don't want that stuff on your windshield either.

Plastic glasses lens cleaner works well. I don't se using anything that has already been used on the oUTSIDE of a vehicle.

Another vote for Plexus, make sure you use a very soft rag, as the plastic is very soft and scratch easily.

I worked at a cluster supplier. And Amor All type liquids will etc in the lens. You may not be able to remove the spots, if its been the lens for a while. You can try and use 3M Finessse It, also. I don't think GM sells replacment lenses for service. I think Chrysler is the only OEM that has them available.

I've found that moistening a clean MF rag with megs M40 to gently wipe down gauge faces works very well. Not sure if it would be aggressive enough to clean you spots, but you could try...

Soapy water on a soft cloth did exactly nothing to improve it.

The lens appears to be damaged. It's not just some contaminants on the surface, apparently.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Soapy water on a soft cloth did exactly nothing to improve it.

The lens appears to be damaged. It's not just some contaminants on the surface, apparently.

Water, degreaser etc is pretty much a waste of time, that cluster lens is damaged and I see it all the time at my shop. A polish might lighten them up but it looks like it need something more aggressive. I have removed the cluster covers before and polished them with my rotary.

I ordered some Meguiar's Clear Plastic Polish and gave it a shot today. It didn't fix it 100%, but it's hugely improved.

24ch6rb.jpg

9kynev.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back