Strange stuff happens with a tornado....

Having lived in OKC in the early 80's and went to Oklahoma State in Stillwater 84-87....you get to see some bad storms
2 stood out ....
One tornado must have hit a large oak tree we had in the back of the house in Stillwater we were renting and tore of a limb and it went through the bed of the truck like it had been stabbed with a knife. The truck was a 82 Datsun truck.....the last year it was called Datsun.....it was a write-off.
The second was in OKC and some debris was falling out of the sky and as I looked up and a twenty dollar bill landed in my hand like somebody gave it to me.
My ex wife's father had a John Deer tractor tire rim that a piece of wood that went through the rim....he said it happened in a storm in 1968 and saved the rim all those years.

We dont get a ton of tornadoes here, but do get a few from time to time in the spring. About ten years ago we had one about 20 miles west of where we lived, and it was starting to get windy as the storm was approaching us and I went outside to look at the clouds, and about 300-400 feet up was a sheet of plywood tumbling end over end, just flying past like nothing. Didnt really even seem to be falling, just flying through the air. It was actually a bit spooky. Could see a few bits and pieces of other types of debris floating around up there as well. Went out after the storm had passed a few hours later and found some junk mail in the woods behind our house from addresses 10-15 miles away.

I remember taking a trip with my father in the early-mid 50's, shortly after a bad tornado had occurred near Flint, Michigan.. I would have been 10-12 years old at the time. I was totaly amazed that, at one patricular place along the roadside, all the telephone poles and wooden fenceposts had wheat straws driven in them on one side. All these straws, stuck in the poles, looking like porcupine quills! I cound not wrap my mind around how the winds could drive the wheat straws into the wooden poles like nails without crushing the straw. It still amazes me!

There was a picture from one of the OK tornados last year where it destroyed the entire house except one wall in the kitchen and like a Gatorade bottle or a tumbler was still sitting in the same spot on the counter, even though the rest of the house was literally gone.

When I lived in Douglasville Georgia as a kid in 1987 or so we had a large tornado. I snapped off a chunk of pine tree and impaled my neighbors house. I remember vividly the clean punched hole in their roof, hardware floor in the kitchen., and all the way into the basement.

My family and I experienced a tornado once . By the grace of God it jumped over our house and tore the tops out of trees about 60 feet away . It really does sound and feel like a train passing . I've been through Hurricane's all my life and they don't scare me like a tornado does .

My family and I experienced a tornado once . By the grace of God it jumped over our house and tore the tops out of trees about 60 feet away . It really does sound and feel like a train passing . I've been through Hurricane's all my life and they don't scare me like a tornado does .

Did the sky turn green in your event?
I still have nightmares at 55 from ones I witnessed as a kid.

Having lived in OKC in the early 80's and went to Oklahoma State in Stillwater 84-87....you get to see some bad storms
2 stood out ....
One tornado must have hit a large oak tree we had in the back of the house in Stillwater we were renting and tore of a limb and it went through the bed of the truck like it had been stabbed with a knife. The truck was a 82 Datsun truck.....the last year it was called Datsun.....it was a write-off.
The second was in OKC and some debris was falling out of the sky and as I looked up and a twenty dollar bill landed in my hand like somebody gave it to me.
My ex wife's father had a John Deer tractor tire rim that a piece of wood that went through the rim....he said it happened in a storm in 1968 and saved the rim all those years.

I've seen a house completely gone with the exception of the kitchen table chairs and condiments all completely intact as though they had a force field around them.

A tornado went through Regina, Saskatchewan in the early 1900s. People were still out canoeing on the lake.

The story is that a canoe was picked up off the lake and set down again several blocks away with the people still inside and uninjured. It sounds incredible but it's written up frequently so the story is probably true.

One night we were sleeping in a tent at Jack-fish Lake There was a thunderstorm under way. Suddenly we heard a sound like a freight train approaching that got louder and louder then disappeared. There were no trains anywhere in the area and there was no damage. We suspected it was a funnel cloud quite near that never touched down.

A tornado went through Regina, Saskatchewan in the early 1900s. People were still out canoeing on the lake.

The story is that a canoe was picked up off the lake and set down again several blocks away with the people still inside and uninjured. It sounds incredible but it's written up frequently so the story is probably true.
My ex's wife grandmother who lived in Taloga OK was sucked out a window during a tornado at night and landed in a wheat field almost half a mile away and lived still in her bed....I think she said it was like 1950 when it happened. She was cut up bad a had a broke arm but lived to tell the story...

When you look on google maps at Mississippi and Alabama you can see all these "lines" from SW to NE....when you look closer you can see it was tornadoes tearing down the trees.....I saw on a special on storms that on F-5 in Mississippi was so bad it sucked up 2 ft of dirt/ground.....looked like a tractor plowed a 300-400 yard wide swath.....I would hate to been anywhere close to that storm...

I don't know . we were all down on the floor covering the kids .

I remember being a kid in the basement against the wall listening to the freight train roar praying it would miss us.

I saw one cross cornfields heading away from grandparents house in the afternoon -I was with my grandpa at the fence line of the housing watching it with him - eery green sky freight train roar.

It pulled millions of gallons of water out of a drainage ditch in seconds. No other weather, or even earthquakes are close to tornado scary.

I grew up on the western edge of Tornado Alley, but luckily never experienced one. I do remember some green thunderstorms and nights in the basement waiting for storms to pass.

I happened to be in the Texas Hill Country a day or two before the tornado outbreak in 1997. I remember hearing that the Jarrell F5 tore asphalt off the roads. The Wikipedia page details a lot more weird and tragic results. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Central_Texas_tornado_outbreak

Did the sky turn green in your event?
I still have nightmares at 55 from ones I witnessed as a kid.

I've seen a house completely gone with the exception of the kitchen table chairs and condiments all completely intact as though they had a force field around them.
I've seen a green sky once living in Colorado. It was really Erie

I grew up on the western edge of Tornado Alley, but luckily never experienced one. I do remember some green thunderstorms and nights in the basement waiting for storms to pass.

I happened to be in the Texas Hill Country a day or two before the tornado outbreak in 1997. I remember hearing that the Jarrell F5 tore asphalt off the roads. The Wikipedia page details a lot more weird and tragic results. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Central_Texas_tornado_outbreak

MAY 22, 2011 JOPLIN, MISSOURI DEVASTATING EF-5 TORNADO:
Main steel roof support trusses were rolled like paper, and main support beams twisted or curved. Portions of trees that remained standing were debarked and denuded. In a parking lot west of the Home Depot, the asphalt was torn from its base with the chunks tossed eastward across the street. Also, asphalt was ripped up from the Walmart parking lot. Wind rowing or debris packing of heavy building and other materials were evident in several areas along the most destructive portions of the track. There were also some interesting features such as a wooden chair with four legs embedded into an exterior wood and stucco wall, and a rubber hose impaled through a tree.

April 25–28, 2011 Tornado outbreak - Philadelphia, Mississippi Tornado
This EF-5 tornado touched down near the city of Philadelphia, Mississippi. The tornado touched down at 2:30 p.m. CDT and traveled a path of 29 miles through Neshoba, Kemper, Winston, and Noxubee counties, resulting in three fatalities and significant high end destruction. In parts of northeast Neshoba and northwest Kemper counties, there was very high end tree damage with extreme denuding and debarking of trees, which were torn from the ground and thrown. Nearby, a large area of ground was scoured out to a depth of two feet in places, and asphalt was scoured off pavement. This was the first tornado to cause F5 or EF5 damage in Mississippi since the Candlestick Park tornado of March 3, 1966. Additionally, this marks the first time since statistics have been kept that two EF5 tornadoes have been recorded on the same day in Mississippi, with the tornado in Smithville, Mississippi also rated as an EF5. The last confirmed EF5 tornado was the Parkersburg, Iowa tornado on May 25, 2008.

Neshoba/Kemper/Winston/Noxubee Counties, MS
Mississippi Tornado Outbreak Of April 25-27-2011
Courtesy: National Weather Service Jackson, Mississippi

Tornado Event Summary:
This tornado caused a path of extensive damage in northeast Neshoba, extreme northwest Kemper, extreme southeast Winston, and southwest Noxubee counties. The most intense damage occurred in a several mile area from extreme northeast Neshoba county into extreme southeast Winston county. Much of the damage in the core of the tornado in this area was rated as high end EF-3 to EF-5. The three fatalities occurred in northwest Kemper County when a strapped down doublewide mobile home was thrown a distance of approximately 300 yards into a treeline, and then obliterated with the debris and framing scattered many hundreds of yards down the path. There was no indication of ground impacts between the original site of the mobile home and where it ended up to indicate that the mobile home bounced extensively as it travelled. Two traditional frame brick homes in southeast Winston county were completely leveled with only a few small parts of interior walls standing. New vehicles were thrown or rolled hundreds of yards before being wrapped into trees and left almost beyond recognition. In parts of northeast Neshoba and northwest Kemper counties, there was very high end tree damage with extensive denuding and debarking of trees, along with areas where the ground was scoured out to a depth of two feet in places, and asphalt was scoured off pavement. This marks the first EF5 tornado in Mississippi since the Candlestick Park tornado on May 3, 1966. Additionally, this marks the first time since statistics have been kept that two EF5 tornadoes have been recorded on the same day in Mississippi, with the tornado in Smithville also rated as an EF5.

Jarrell, Texas Tornado Damage - May 27, 1997
Jarrell, Texas Tornado
in 1997, Jarrell Texas (40 miles north of Austin and about 100 miles north of San Antonio) had an F5 tornado that pulled up the asphalt and grass in its path.

http://natchitocheslaweatherclimate.blogspot.com/2015/12/tornadoes-that-have-scoured-road.html[/URL]
Ive seen the pavement blown off roads in Oklahoma.....but never a two foot trench .....the wheat had been sucked up but to go down 2 ft is off the charts.....thats like EF6? if there was such a thing....

I have out-ran a forming twister on a 2-lane road, had car pelted with some intense hail, pocked it up.. happy to have been in something quick, me and at least two other vehicles on the road were at at least a buck twenty putting that to our rear-view. Did not care if there was a cop, if that thing had crossed the road or come in front of us, could have been bad. I count myself as fortunate.

Sky turns a funky grey and I seen odd skies from tornado activity in West Ohio a lot. Not in a while but, have.

Ive seen the pavement blown off roads in Oklahoma.....but never a two foot trench .....the wheat had been sucked up but to go down 2 ft is off the charts.....thats like EF6? if there was such a thing....

Might have been freshly plowed fields of bare dirt. I highly doubt it tore up 2' of CRP/pasture, yanno?

Back