Strange problem when I fill up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now it is the 6th time that when I fill up the car if I push the handle of pump till the end it keeps stopping as the tank has reached the full.

I have to keep the handle at half so I can fill up the car.

I changed many gas station and the problem is the same.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks

Sometimes the rollover check valve/ anti siphon ball gets stuck. There's a parallel, 1/2 inch hose for venting that you can cram gas in through if you go slow enough.

There's either enough splash back or foaming to trip the handle.
That seems common on some cars/trucks.
Does it happen at all stations or pumps or just one/few?

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
There's either enough splash back or foaming to trip the handle.
That seems common on some cars/trucks.
Does it happen at all stations or pumps or just one/few?

It happen to all stations.

But how comes that it comes foam in fillig Up ?

I seemed to have this problem with my Santa Fe when it was new and it went away after a while and hasn't returned. I would think that it's something to do with the roll-over safety sticking and not allowing proper flow. Try using something like Lucas UCL that's very oils before filling up to lubricate this safety valve and see if it gets better.

Could also be the vent hose is kinked or clogged with something, maybe a factory defect?

Good Luck.

It's the pumps, some are better than others.

Mine clicks to early too, you get used to which pumps work better than others. I also like to top off when I fill up (hate stopping for gas) and I can put another 2.2 gallons after it clicks.

I've had a couple vehicles in the past that have done the same thing. It seemed to be a combination of the flow rate of the pump and the size/restriction of the fuel filler neck. On occasion I'd find a pump that went slower, but normally I'd just set it on the middle notch of the handle and let it flow slower. If I tried to run the pump wide open it would click off when the tank was 3/4 full.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
There's a TSB from GM on this. It's a problem with the gas station nozzles.

It may well be, MC, but isn't that sorta like saying "It's not me, it's the world that's got a problem!"
55.gif

How did GM fill up their vehicles during R&D, from a gravity feed elevated tank?

I too had this with my 2002 Wrangler. It required careful placement of the nozzle on low (speed varied considerably from station to station and how many people were fueling at the time). It too has appeared to have gone away with the passage of time, or rather my incidence of reorienting the nozzle has substantially decreased.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
It may well be, MC, but isn't that sorta like saying "It's not me, it's the world that's got a problem!"
55.gif

How did GM fill up their vehicles during R&D, from a gravity feed elevated tank? ...

crackmeup2.gif
Then GM wonders why they are on the verge of bankruptcy. ... Keep sweeping it under the carpet!

Got the same problem on the wife's Durango. There are two gas pumps I've found nearby that will fill the tank on the slowest clicker position without shutting off every 25 cents of fuel. Something is making to fuel kick up the filler tube and make the pump shut off very quickly. I have checked the filler tube for blockages (ran a vinyl coated wire coat hanger in and out and got nothing). It's gotta be the evap or rollover valve. So I'm using the two pumps as often as possible and when/if the fuel pump ever fails and the tank has to come out, I'll have the other problem fixed as well. In the meantime, I'm getting really good at modulating the pump handle to get the slowest possible fill without the pump shutting off. Dexterity FTW.

On my car I get past that by rotating the handle so its up instead of hanging down. The stop/start filling got very old so I played with the handle and found that rotating it let if fill at full speed. Try it out.

I remember working in a gas station as a kid, and running into this problem. The boss said it was an air pocket in the gas tank, and was bouncing on a customers rear bumper to "free it". I've run into the OP's problem, but moving the nozzle out a little always worked for me, along with slowing the flow of fuel from the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back