Strange Ice Formation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Water put into a clean empty yogurt cup and put in the freezer. First time I've ever seen the ice grow straight up off the surface. What's the mechanism here?

[Linked Image]

Looks like air bubbles got trapped just right and rose as the water froze. I'm pretty happy with it.
laugh.gif
Why are you freezing yogurt cups of water?

Is this for the Punch Bowl?

Only thing I can think of is the water in the centre being forced up by the expanding ice around the surface circumference of the cup

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Is this for the Punch Bowl?

Only thing I can think of is the water in the centre being forced up by the expanding ice around the surface circumference of the cup

I like it. And since it was forcing it up in the center, it kept the center from freezing as the water was slowly moving upwards as the expansion was forcing it to the weakest area.

There are circulation fans in modern fridges so the air currents could have contributed something.

ZeeOSix stuck a hunka icicle in the water to have us on.

Yeah. that's the only time I've seen that stalagmite - like formation , usually outside, formed during Winter from dripping water from the roof.

Originally Posted by 02SE
T-1000 was about to ruin your day, but fortunately froze before it was too late...

LoL ... it does look like that.

I've made big ice cubes like this for over a year (I like one big piece of ice in my glass), and this is the first time I've ever seen this happen.

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
I've seen these in ice cubes:

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/icespikes/icespikes.htm

but never one as large as that

Thanks for the link ... makes sense.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Water put into a clean empty yogurt cup and put in the freezer. First time I've ever seen the ice grow straight up off the surface. What's the mechanism here?

[Linked Image]

That's a poor excuse for imitation banana flavor.

Originally Posted by 02SE
T-1000 was about to ruin your day, but fortunately froze before it was too late...

LOL !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back