Strange Foreign Objects Found in Tires

I had a slow leak earlier this week. It was just a nail this time. There was another time when I had a shark tooth cause a tire to leak. Who else has had a tire damaged by something strange?

Between Sears and Goodyear in the 70's other than the routine road hazards...

bullets ( 1 fired, some buckshot and one unfired rifle round) (notified LE)

Bone ( appeared to be from a T-bone, smelled grilled)

Bag of weed ( called LE on that one too)

Of note also were bird beaks/heads punctured a few batteries ( by the time we saw them they were bleached skeletons) and a few radiators that went through grills

Drill bit (worse than a nail of same size, because its flutes let air escape despite it remaining in the tire)
Bone(?) fragment
8-mm bolt that stayed in without leaking, but made horrible thumping.

Hay hook. It was only partially inside, the handle beat the chrome off my fender lip.

This goes in the "if I didn't see it, then I wouldn't believe it" category.

I was at my friends shop a couple weeks ago when he said, "come here and look at this, you aren't going to believe it". What he showed me was a broken blade from some kind of a hunting knife that went through a tire and punctured the aluminum wheel. I saw it with my own eyes.

Over 40 years ago I went to the drag strip with my friend, so he could race his car. He had a cple of passes, then said he had a bad vibration coming from the rear end. We checked the tires which were wide Mickey Thompson tires on Crager mags. What we found was a pair of needle nose pliers stuck handle first in the tire. Must have fell out of somebody's car. Now what do we do? He didn't carry a spare tire for the weight. The next thing I know , here he comes out of the woods carrying a tire on a rim. It was old and nasty, but it held air and it fit. We pumped it up and it got us home.,,,

Metal part of a steak knife. The one time my wife was paying attention to the machine while driving. She immediately pulled over and saved the wheel. Instant deflation and the knife was the whole way was in the tire.

I've personally seen a few in 18-wheeler tires. I've seen a Case knife blade, a railroad tie, multiple wrenches, screw with the head stuck in the tire.

I've had friends send me pictures of passenger car tires. One had a #2 pencil puncture his tire. Probably the strangest I've seen.

Strangest thing for me was a block of wood. A 4x4 block about 6” long. We store our truck tires right next to where we keep blocks of wood in the shop. One of the first shift guys mounted it and somehow missed the block that had probably bounced into the tire. It came in long after for a flat and I heard it clunking when I pulled it off the semi trailer. The block was nicely polished.

I had a railroad spike go thru my rear motorcycle tire..AND aluminum rim. Instant flat and racket. No crash as I was going 20 mph or so.

Some sort of bracket bolt

FB_IMG_1603081845167.jpg

Spark plug. Was directed around a big car accident scene on the autobahn, ended up with a half a spark plug as a souvenir.

My dad's boss ran over a naily 2x4 on I-90 near Spearfish, SD. The nails punctured the tire, the 2x4 wedged in the fender well, and the nails proceeded to rip a foot-long hole in the tire tread before being folder over. 1975 Buick Electra. Not a fun roadside change with the 2x4 still wedged inside the fender.

Back