Strange Brake Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '04 GTO has 38k on it and the original brakes. It's an M6 and I set the e-brake every time it's parked. The car hasn't seen salt, snow or even water in three years.

I parked it about 3 miles from home and set the e-brake. When I left, I could tell the brakes were dragging. About a half mile from home, the steering wheel started oscillating back and forth a couple inches. A quarter mile from home, everything cleared up. I can't find anything wrong and it hasn't done it again. Can a stuck e-brake cause the steering wobble? I thought it would only affect the rears.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I can see if maybe one side was hanging up at some point in the wheel rotation, it would pull the car to that side, and repeat. That could give you a steering wobble.

Let me guess, you've gone 12 years without ever taking the brakes off and greasing them up and making sure they actually work properly, right?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Let me guess, you've gone 12 years without ever taking the brakes off and greasing them up and making sure they actually work properly, right?

This is where I would look first. check out for uneven wear and clean/grease everything up.

Except for this one instance, the car stops on a dime, in a straight line, and without any noise, pulsing or vibration. There is plenty of pad and the rotors look great. So, no I haven't.

Thanks for your seemingly condescending thoughts. (Apologies if I misinterpreted them.)

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
This is where I would look first. check out for uneven wear and clean/grease everything up.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: jkasch

Except for this one instance, the car stops on a dime, in a straight line, and without any noise, pulsing or vibration. There is plenty of pad and the rotors look great. So, no I haven't.

Thanks for your seemingly condescending thoughts. (Apologies if I misinterpreted them.)
I wasn't trying to be condescending. You live in the heart of the rust belt, it rains where you live (doesn't in Phoenix), it's humid where you live (isn't in Phoenix), it snows where you live (doesn't in Phoenix), and it gets cold where you live (doesn't in Phoenix).

Brakes are an item that need to be serviced, especially when you live in an area that gets freezing cold and rust forms if you just glance at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back