Stranded at home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow really messes up southern california. We are basically in a valley surrounded by mountains. Every way out is currently closed and has been since about 3a.

No estimate on when the roads will be reopened. Some people have been sitting on the closed fwy all morning.

Screenshot_20191226-101744.png

We had a tornado warning last night for the Goleta/Santa Barbara/Carpenteria area. People laughed but my house in Goleta got hit by one about 10-11 years ago.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
SNOW DAY!!!!!! ENJOY!!!!! It's crazy 55F here in lower Michigan. Got to luv it!

Yeah, no kidding. I'm getting ready to pull my Charger out of winter hibernation.

I've been watching the Tehachapi Live train cams on youtube, when they work. Snow, and I-58 closed. People stuck in their cars from 2:20am until 8:30am, when the weather stopped long enough to get them off the road. Snowing so much you can't see the road any more.

It could be worse. We were stranded for several days when the Clinton Inaugural Day Storm hit our area. No warning at all.

No power for nine days. No phone for two weeks. Cable and other services were back around six weeks later. We lived on a rural dead end road a couple of miles off the highway. Every tree along the way fell. The local power company had to run new poles and wires the whole way.

Fortunately we had a wood stove we could cook on. I had a emergency supply of canned beans and Top Ramen. We slept on the floor near the stove.

Worst part was not being able to take a shower since we were on a well. Now we look back at that and laugh. We

Originally Posted by Chris142
We went to deliver some stuff to a neighbor.

Geese Chris,

Where I grew up in northern MI. We had a state highway that didn't look that good.

[Linked Image]

Back in 2003 the wife & I rented a Neon, drove through Death Valley to Vegas. Whatever highway goes through the mountains got 2-3 inches of snow and just closed on-the-spot! There were corvettes with racing slicks and other ill-prepared vehicles.

We took a detour (there wasn't one), ate dinner, and came through a few hours later. Cars abandoned in the breakdown lane, some were perpindicularly parked!

This photo gave me nightmares of that. Same sloppy wet snow.

We don't get stuck in New England. Was kinda funny to me that the only time something like this happened to us, was in a land far-away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back