Straight 30 weight Havoline conventional

Yrs ago I used nothing but Havoline. I bought a new Ford F-150, 2 wheel drive long bed, 300 six cylinder
with a 5 speed manual tranny in 1993.
I drove that truck for 311, 000 miles using only Havoline straight 30 weight conventional oil.
Cold or hot weather, it didn't bother it. Was a great oil for that particular engine.
Sold the truck for 2500 bucks after driving it for 12 years to a guy who kept bugging me to
buy it. Saw it on the road for several yrs after he bought it.
Changed the oil religiously between 3 and 4 thousand miles, btw.

Last edited:
Yrs ago I used nothing but Havoline. I bought a new Ford F-150, 2 wheel drive long bed, 300 six cylinder
I drove that truck for 311, 000 miles using only Havoline straight 30 weight conventional oil.
Cold or hot weather, it didn't bother it. Was a great oil for that particular engine.
Sold the truck for 2500 bucks after driving it for 12 years to a guy who kept bugging me to
Do you think that the fact the oil is a monograde is what made the engine last?

I used to use 30 wt. oil to break in the cams in my rebuilt engines. Mostly Pennzoil and QS. Now they have 30 wt. break in oils made specifically for that.

Why? Just because cheaper? Do you really think your engine wouldn't
last the same with a modern PCMO? Just interested.

Single grade oil is all oil, not a blend with VI improver.

VII are your friend. They are used in most automotive oil for a reason.
Viscosity change is not desirable, so high VI is desirable. Even weak or
cheapish VIIs last suffciently during short intervals in question above.

What is the rational for the OP deciding to go against the manufacturers specs? I would like to give him a fair chance at explaining himself better.

That is a low horsepower, low RPM engine designed long ago. The cam is in the block. No long passages to get to it and the lifters. It is not hard on the oil. Lots of those engines also ran forever on 20W20 oil. As long as the OP did not operate it after sitting out all night in the northern states, most likely it would not have been harmed by the thick oil. And if he had let it sit out all night in Minnesota in the winter, it probably would have been too stiff to start, so again no damage.

Rod

The 300 six is probably one of the most durable engines Ford has made. 300K miles is not that unusual for that engine with reasonable care.

Why? Just because cheaper? Do you really think your engine wouldn't
last the same with a modern PCMO? Just interested.

VII are your friend. They are used in most automotive oil for a reason.
Viscosity change is not desirable, so high VI is desirable. Even weak or
cheapish VIIs last suffciently during short intervals in question above.
"Why? Just because cheaper? Do you really think your engine wouldn't
last the same with a modern PCMO? Just interested."

Because it's what I started out with and back then I really didn't think about oil the way I do now.
It obviously worked well enough. 311,000 miles. Sold it and still seen them driving it for several yrs afterwards.

Last edited:
I've owned one and my dad has had two trucks with it. I had a 95 F150 Flareside 4wd w/5 speed and he had basically the same truck but an 83 F100 and was 2wd, his other was an 87 F150 2wd shortbed.

When I bought mine I didn't realize it or maybe someone tried to cover it up but the undercoating was peeling off and the frame had a lot of rust, I know the oil pan had a big patch of it on the bottom and read online that they basically rust from the inside out but will eventually develop pinhole leaks. I could've replaced the pan but with the frame issue I ended up selling it, I had bought my GMC which has a lot more room inside.

It was a tough truck, I hauled over 9k lbs of cattle over the mountain here with it, the trailer weighed 3k and it was 6k or so of cattle loaded. That 300 wasn't fast by any means but it would definitely get you there slowly but surely.

I have a neighbor who has a tree service, one of his big dump trucks has the straight 6 300 in it. He replaced the distributer and threw away the coupler to the oil pump as "the new distributer didn't have one" then he drove it for 45 minutes with zero oil pressure before it locked up.

Last edited:
I bought a 79 F150 XL and it didn't have a radio is was that basic. It had the 300 ci 6 and a 3 on the tree. Probably one of my most favorite vehicles I have ownd just because what it was and it was a solid vehicle. Once a year oil changes with M1 since new "a few Redline and Amsoil changes" . I traded it off to a friend at 350,000 miles and the engine still had good oil pressure on the mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Back