STP oil at Dollar Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't comment on the oil, but any time you're dealing with a place that might be selling warehouse surplus items at a discount, make sure it's SM rated and not some leftover stuff from years past. I know some people have mentioned seeing SL and SJ oil at dollar stores

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I am seeing this around, very cheap. Any opinions on STP oil?

Awhile back, I asked the same question and some posters told me that it was SL oil. I looked again to be sure and it's SM. Pretty sure STP oil is owned by the same company that makes Clorox bleach.
Probably good enough to be SM, but I've never used it. Where I live, it's sold at the Dollar General stores.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I am seeing this around, very cheap. Any opinions on STP oil?

Awhile back, I asked the same question and some posters told me that it was SL oil. I looked again to be sure and it's SM. Pretty sure STP oil is owned by the same company that makes Clorox bleach.
Probably good enough to be SM, but I've never used it. Where I live, it's sold at the Dollar General stores.

You are correct. It's SM. Probably not bad stuff.

Wow, I haven't seen any STP oil for ever. Can't remember the last time I saw any. Pretty cheap stuff but if it is API SM it has to meet minimum requirements and can't be all that bad if used on a short OCI.

According to the API Directory JD Streett has a license for STP 10W-30 and 10W-40. The 10W-30 is API SM with the Starburst and the 10W-40 is API SM.

Last edited:
A couple years ago I got around 30 quarts of STP oil from a Dollar General store that was moving across town for $1.17/each.

It was just fine(I ran it for 4k in each car in the family fleet), and Id use it again if I could find it on sale. Last time I checked, it was $2.60/qt regular price, which puts it in line with some better value oils, IMHO.

jd streett huh? A company that specializes in oil blending and discount cigarettes and beer. Sounds good to me....not, I think I'll pass.

Originally Posted By: SkyPup
jd streett huh? A company that specializes in oil blending and discount cigarettes and beer. Sounds good to me....not, I think I'll pass.

I had the temptation to buy 5-6 quart, use it for 3K miles and do a UOA on it, but with Shell on sale for $1.59 and Trop-Artic at $1.79 everyday price, I'll pass.

I did look at their web site. Looks like a good-ol-boy club. It appears that they are hawking the magic elixirs in a bottle instead of their oils. Profit, profit, profit, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back