STP in Blue Bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't do anything but thicken your oil... I have used it before I found BITOG.
grin2.gif

Works good in an oil burner or for some noise you might want to try and mask.

AD

It's got ZDDP in it. No one seems to know how much.
I think it would make your oil too thick to properly lubricate a non-worn out engine. Even the thinner red-bottle version, when used in the recommended dose, makes 5W-20 thicker than 5W-30 at room temperature. Not sure about how thick it would be at the high end.

Wow it can actually push a 20 grade oil to a 30 grade? I ran some #'s on VSOT and it would take a lot of it to move a 20 grade to a 30 grade. I wouldn't add it to a healthy engine that's for sure.

Well, I don't know exactly when hot...but yeah, I've tried it at room temperature with a funnel and a stopwatch, and it's thicker than 5W-30 after adding it. (I tested before and after adding) Same oil brand, etc.) This was the 4 cylinder formula in Castrol GTX at a ratio of 5.5:1 by volume.
I wanted to see if I could boost ZDDP in my 5W-20 without going too thick. I decided to use a tiny bit of Lucas TB Zinc Plus break-in additive instead.
Besides, I have to mail order the 4 cylinder stuff, and I can get the Lucas stuff off the shelf.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Well, I don't know exactly when hot...but yeah, I've tried it at room temperature with a funnel and a stopwatch, and it's thicker than 5W-30 after adding it. (I tested before and after adding) Same oil brand, etc.) This was the 4 cylinder formula in Castrol GTX at a ratio of 5.5:1 by volume.
I wanted to see if I could boost ZDDP in my 5W-20 without going too thick. I decided to use a tiny bit of Lucas TB Zinc Plus break-in additive instead.
Besides, I have to mail order the 4 cylinder stuff, and I can get the Lucas stuff off the shelf.

I'm not familiar with the Lucas product you're referring to. Red Line Break in oil additive is loaded with ZDDP, and is about a 30wt oil, so it won't thicken up a 5W20. I was able to get it through AAP, on a special order. I printed the the best web price and AAP matched it, I had it in a few days. You add about 1 oz of the RL add/qt of oil and you have a nice boost of ZDDP

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I'm not familiar with the Lucas product you're referring to. Red Line Break in oil additive is loaded with ZDDP, and is about a 30wt oil[...]I was able to get it through AAP, on a special order.
AD

That sound similar to the Lucas. I got the Lucas at AAP off the shelf. About $15 for a pint, but I read on this site, I think, it's about 38K ppm ZDDP, as someone posted a letter from their tech dept. I emailed Lucas, too, but never got a response.

I've used STP and it will reduce burning and increase compression in a worn engine - about its only real use nowadays. But I'd use 15W-40 or 20W-50 if I were driving an older burner before using an additive...

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
There is an old VOA of this stuff if you search for it.

Do you happen to have a link? Used to the search feature for "STP VOA" under the oil analysis section and nothing came up. Would be interesting to see.

That's why I wrote nobody seems to know ho much ZDDP. I mean, I believe they guy, of course. But I could never find info anywhere on the web, and no one seems to know any links when I ask around. Guess you'd have to send a bottle to a lab yourself.
Charles Navarro at LN Engineering tested the red bottle (4-cylinder formula) STP, but no blue bottle info seems to be out there. http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html#Z24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back