STP 3614 Purolator cut and view

Status
Not open for further replies.
30 years of the cheapest API spec dino oil and inexpensive brand name filters on my turbocharged 2.2. No one can tell me how expensive oil and filters would make any difference other than quoting some specs and trying to sound important. I often hear how you need synthetic oil and an expensive filter especially with turbos. Funny how all these synthetic oil and expensive filter engines get traded off after a few years. Whats the point? Even if you keep it for 30+ years, dino oil, 6 mos to 9 mos. on oil changes, and cheap quality filters still keeps you on the road. Just don't buy non API spec oils from the convenience store or knock off filters from Joe's discount service or other untrusted sources.

Synthetic oil should increase mpg a little, and can be used longer, are some of the benefits. Using cheap oil filters is no bargain IMO. The money saved is insignificant, and it isn't only about anecdotal evidence a car lasted forever using the cheapest everything. Can save more money buying a classic car and seeing it rise not fall in value. Can buy the stripped new car not the loaded. Or don't have a car at all. When I buy things I usually buy the higher quality grades including oil filters and oil.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Synthetic oil should increase mpg a little, and can be used longer, are some of the benefits. Using cheap oil filters is no bargain IMO. The money saved is insignificant, and it isn't only about anecdotal evidence a car lasted forever using the cheapest everything. Can save more money buying a classic car and seeing it rise not fall in value. Can buy the stripped new car not the loaded. Or don't have a car at all. When I buy things I usually buy the higher quality grades including oil filters and oil.

If it "meets or exceeds OEM specs" I go with the cheapest, well known brand. Typically filters less than $5 and 5qts synthetic oil less than $20. I also buy 90K mile tires when there are sales. On my 2nd set. Got 98K out of the first set, currently have about 65K on these. Frugality means smart, but cheap. Just cheap is stupid. Smart but cheap is smart.

As an FYI, it's also anecdotal that a car lasted forever due to the most expensive oil and filter...

Last edited:
A guy I knew from work, young at the time, bought a 56 Chev Bel Air two door hardtop in about 1980. He bought it instead of a new car. He drove it every day to work, and about twenty years later he was still driving it and it was still immaculate. I think it looked even better. He probably could get 5-10 times what he paid now. The 1980 Citation or whatever was sold new at the time would have been worth zero, probably wouldn't pass smog, and would have been junked. That's even smarter and cheaper. I don't know many people who claim their cars last forever because of the best oil and filter. I buy better oil/filters because I want to, and they are still cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back