Storing your new truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to say that this is NOT a mock or knock against anyone who may store their truck for winter as most folks who have sports/high perf cars would store them. I did own a truck some 40 years ago and I do in fact like trucks. However, I don't really have the need for one(cost, useage, fuel economy, overall size, etc). And I also do like the new trucks that are available today especially in the $40K-$60K range.
smile.gif

That being said, how many of our members here at Bob's, buy & store your new(ish) truck for the winter or just for foul weather? Maybe the truck only sees the Big Box Store?

I have seen many of these new trucks that have some of the most beautiful interiors with finely crafted/stitched leather and nicely finished wood grain trim. Along with chrome or flat black exterior trim and gorgeous paint work with attached emblems that well, why would anyone want to mess that up?

So, what say you?
Let's hear about your truck and maybe some pics!

CB

I buy work trucks with work truck trim such as my 2014 Ram 2500 HD Hemi. I use this truck to plow snow, tows my bike trailer for vacations, & goes to Lowe's & the Depot regularly! It's not my daily driver as it has only 17K in four years . I have a nice car for daily driver duties.

I bought the truck FOR foul weather! Put four Nokian WR SUV tires on it for snow/slush.

Leave the Mercedes at home and take the Tundra when it sucks outside. Yeah, it's brand-new but it was bought to be used. Hauled boxes with it yesterday.

Who buys a truck as a fair weather toy?

I park mine in the garage. It's the least used vehicle I have. I'm hoping by next winter I'll have a wider garage door in so I can put the Jeep and truck in the garage for winter (ironically, my 2 rusty vehicles) . I don't use them a lot so no point in leaving them out in the snow so I have to keep brushing them off.

The bed supports are pretty rusty and the right bed side is gone. This truck doesn't really have another winter in it. Plus, I don't have actual winter tires for it. IME, 1 ton trucks aren't that good in the snow since they're spring so heavy.

At some point I'll be putting up the harbor freight tarp garage and the camper will spend the winter in that along with all the random junk that takes up too much space in the garage.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I bought the truck FOR foul weather! Put four Nokian WR SUV tires on it for snow/slush.

Leave the Mercedes at home and take the Tundra when it sucks outside. Yeah, it's brand-new but it was bought to be used. Hauled boxes with it yesterday.

^^This.

Trucks are designed to be heavy duty and to withstand rugged conditions whereas a sports/high performance road car is made to be driven on pristine surfaces.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Astro14

^^This.

Trucks are designed to be heavy duty and to withstand rugged conditions whereas a sports/high performance road car is made to be driven on pristine surfaces.

People buy nice guns and then never shoot them. People buy nice trucks and never use them for truck duty. It's their money. Doesn't affect me and it's good for the economy.

Trucks are a bit of a paradox nowadays. As stated they now can be had with gorgeous interiors, devoid of NVH, ride as good as any car and are reasonably priced. When my FX4 was new I took an old football buddy’s dad out for a ride and after about 20 minutes of driving he asked me what the truck cost. I told him $42k OTD and he then asked me “why would anyone buy a Lincoln?”.

And so it goes, a truck can be many things now, my wife drove Platinum F150s for years in Houston traffic and loved every one of them. When I buy a truck for myself I always get one with trailer towing pkg - if it can tow and hold up to that, then I needn’t worry about it overheating in hot conditions just driving around.

Back to the question that started this - if your truck is your luxury vehicle, don’t feel out of place driving a beater to keep it nice.
Or, after all, it is a truck and is quite robust, if you decide to use it, that’s ok too. Trucks have good resale value and you can always get another one when the ‘ol girl gets a bit shaggy.

Still have my FX4 and keep it nicely detailed; it still drives pretty much like new. But I’m a primadonna about the thing, when it snowed here 2 years ago, the city salted just the sidewalks and that was enough for me to keep her parked till the snow was all gone. She’s never seen salt and never will if I can help it.
Isn’t that terrible? It’s an ‘11 model...

My truck is my daily driver. I prefer trucks over cars. I like a big vehicle, but that's just me. I get it Krowned every fall so it will last longer till I get another to replace it. Mine isn't the expensive, option loaded one either. One level above base model. I have no need for all the fancy options you can get on them these days.

Lots of top trim 4WD $50K trucks here that never see bad weather, never have tires on dirt and never have more than some bags of mulch in the bed-lined bed. SO WHAT? Their money, keeps people working, AND the big one is these are the trucks you want to be the second owner of.

To answer the OP's question, I don't know anyone now or previously in Pa who parked a truck for the winter.

If i took the plunge into [new luxury truck] land i could see myself storing it most of the winter. I prefer to drive a FWD snow tire equipped light sedan/wagon in snow. I would need at least $100k to spend on the truck plus a 5th wheel in addition to quality covered or indoor storage for the whole setup. I doubt i would put even double digits of mileage per year on the truck. Maybe that day will come where i can frivolously spend 100k but until then my cheap 05 GMC gets truck jobs done just fine.

I bought my truck for exactly that : occasional use without the hassle of borrowing/renting one.

I bought a then 4 years old cheap small truck for this use as I saw no point in spending a lot for one. It's been with me for 8 years now and still serves its purpose well. I also use it during snowstorms. It's only 2WD, but has much more ground clearance than my car.

Overall, it sees less than 5K miles a year.

The primary reason so many PU trucks are sold these days is because they are cool vehicles to own.

The practical applications of hauling, towing, plowing, etc. is secondary as many never use them rarely, if ever for the purposes that PU trucks were originally developed for.

My truck is my daily driver. I driven it to the beach, in Mexico, the desert, to and in Missouri in winter, in -10F to 122F. I would not have it another way.

A truck is a truck. The one I have is a working truck and unless I find one of those "Lil Red Express" trucks from the late 70's, I will not let it sit idle in the winter.

I guess I'm the oddball who stores his truck during the winter months. From November until April it gets parked indoors with a battery tender attached. 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 2wd with a standard output Cummins.

April through October it does hauling and the towing of my trailers (around 4k-5k miles each year). I bought it used in 2005 with 15k miles, and it now has 85k. It doesn't have a spot of rust, it was built before any emissions equipment was mandated, it's paid for and will hopefully be the last truck that I ever need to buy.

My truck has been my winter vehicle for the last 11 years, except for this year. I was able to carry my daughter around in the truck last winter, but we just had a second daughter born last month and you can't (safely) transport two babies in a Ford Ranger. So last summer I bought the CR-V and it's now my winter car. I still drive the truck in the winter sometimes, especially if I need to haul something big/heavy. But I try to avoid driving it right after it snows, when there's a lot of salt on the road. Might as well try to slow the rust down as much as possible. The CR-V is already rusty and I bought it specifically for driving in that stuff, so that's usually what I'll drive instead of the truck.

I only would if I had something rare like a GMC Cyclone or something collectible. I keep all of my vehicles indoors but I drive all of them in all kinds of conditions. I’m not in the business of keeping things nice for the next owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back