Storing oil and other automotive fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
My stash is getting bigger guys. Between the M1 TDT I bought last winter and my umpteen quarts of PYB, PP, Havoline Dino and Castrol ATF+4 I need a place to store it all.

I know folks here say it is best to store them where temperatures fluctuate the least amount.. Like a climate controlled garage. But what if a person doesn't have a climate controlled garage? Would they be okay if they were unopened? The temps move anywhere between 0*F and 95*F.

It is always slightly warmer in there than the outside temp during the winter and since we are in a woods, its always cooler in there in the summer as well.

I need a better plan though. Apparently the top of the chest freezer isn't good enough.. Thoughts?

Best thing would be a climate controlled garage, second best would have to be a closet inside of your home.

Maybe I'm from the old school of thought... oil sits in the crank through nasty temp swings.

I keep all of my unopened oil in my garage, it has gone from -whoknowswhat to sunny 75 so far. No problems.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Maybe I'm from the old school of thought... oil sits in the crank through nasty temp swings.

I keep all of my unopened oil in my garage, it has gone from -whoknowswhat to sunny 75 so far. No problems.

+1

All mine sits on a shelf in the garage. Unless you plan on leaving it there for 10 years I don't think it will be an issue.

Yep all the jugs out there will be unopened. The opened/ partial ones will be stored in the heated/ AC'd garage or added to my frankenbrew jug depending on how much is left.

My stack sits on the shop floor.

Storing oils this way is cheap.

When I need oil I go down to the shop that has the best sale price and purchase it usually 1 month or 2 before the next oil change is due.

Boring yes, but it avoids the need to get treatment for obsessive compulsive hording disorder.

Unless you own a business and buy in bulk it maybe better to buy on sale on an as required basis IMO.

Best storage for what goal? Best for safety is outside in a detached shed along with your paint cans and other flammables where it won't act as a fuel in the event of a house fire.

New motor oil is not like a treasured family pet--it doesn't require stable near-room temperature conditions to be effective when you need to pull it off the shelf and use it.

Can I "stash" oil to, so it takes up space and it will take years to use, and then I just end up changing other peoples oil for free so I can use said "stash".

Originally Posted By: redhat

Yes but once its in your engine its recommended you change before 1 year. So until that one year period starts, I would keep it in a temperature stable place.

Mine is stored in a unconditioned enclosed garage on a shelf.
Summers can get up to 90 in there while winters can make get as cold as 35.

Oil is providing performance as expected in my cars.

Originally Posted By: tripleM
Mine is stored in a unconditioned enclosed garage on a shelf.
Summers can get up to 90 in there while winters can make get as cold as 35.

Oil is providing performance as expected in my cars.

I've always just left mine in our detatched garage.
It has gotten cold enough in there to freeze wine (why is that cork popped?) and can be blazing during the summer.
I've posted UOAs of oil stored in these conditions and they've looked good.
Just leave it in the garage and don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back