storing new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got over excited for the Discount Tire Thanksgiving Day sale (and Presidents Day also). I am going to store the tires for another 6 months before mounting. Should they be stored laying down or on an the tread (like they are on a car). Not mounted, just new tires.

When tires are not mounted on wheels, I like to store them laying on their side. Space permitting, I only stack one on top of another rather than all four in one large stack.

I like the "storing under the bed" idea. An old sheet or blanket should do the trick and the wife will never know. If she asks about that "new rubber smell," you can make up all kinds of stories from "I don't smell anything" to "I think it's that taco I ate for lunch."

Let your imagination run wild.

Away from ozone= away from the furnace. On their sidewalls is fine. They hold a car up for pete's sake, they can hold themselves in any position.

When my father got his 2001 F350, he dumped the full size spare in the basement. I just pulled the full sized spare out in 2015 to test fit some larger tires on my Jeep.

No cracks or anything in the tire! I'm surprised at how much lack of UV can do for a tire!

It's getting a knife in the sidewall and then dropped off at the local cheap tire place once I order another set of tires!

Tires by themselves are stored in all sorts of ways - even by tire manufacturers - and the most common is stacking them up, sidewall to sidewall. But there are a few things the tire manufacturers do:

1) Keep tires away from sources of heat and ozone (electrical motors)

2) Keep tires away from petroleum products - both liquid and vapor.

3) Don't stack stuff on top of them.

4) Store them away from things that will have a problem with the outgassing (there goes the *Under the bed* approach)

5) Keep them off the floor so they don't adsorb contaminants.

But as far as orientation, I don't think it matters. There just isn't enough weight in a tire to cause a permanent distortion.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
When tires are not mounted on wheels, I like to store them laying on their side. Space permitting, I only stack one on top of another rather than all four in one large stack.

I like the "storing under the bed" idea. An old sheet or blanket should do the trick and the wife will never know. If she asks about that "new rubber smell," you can make up all kinds of stories from "I don't smell anything" to "I think it's that taco I ate for lunch."

When tires are not on wheels they should be stored in vertical position like they are on the car. When they are on the wheel, they should be stored horizontally, laying on the side.
Because a lot of people, including DT etc, are not fallowing this, I always order tires on Costco web site since they are always fresh, coming directly from manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

When tires are not on wheels they should be stored in vertical position like they are on the car. When they are on the wheel, they should be stored horizontally, laying on the side.
Because a lot of people, including DT etc, are not fallowing this, I always order tires on Costco web site since they are always fresh, coming directly from manufacturer.

I disagree. I have a set of radials in my garage, all without wheels. Three of them, I stacked on top of each other. The 4th one, I stored in the vertical position (due to storage space). The three stacked on top of each other look great, the one stored in the vertical position now has a "crack/split" on the sidewall where the sidewall "sagged" from sitting. Even though it has plenty of tread, it's going to the dump, (which breaks my heart).

I disagree. I have a set of radials in my garage, all without wheels. Three of them, I stacked on top of each other. The 4th one, I stored in the vertical position (due to storage space). The three stacked on top of each other look great, the one stored in the vertical position now has a "crack/split" on the sidewall where the sidewall "sagged" from sitting. Even though it has plenty of tread, it's going to the dump, (which breaks my heart).

That tire had to be defective. There is no way that should happen, a sidewall shouldn't "sag" and crack from supporting just the weight of the tire. You're actually fortunate that it did. That tire was ripe to fail on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back