Storing motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a great deal on Mobil 1 at a store around my house and figured I would stock up on some 0w-20. How long will the oil be good for unopened in a room typically kept around 70 degrees fahrenheit? I will do some vigorious shaking before the OC to mix the additives back up btw.

Almost indefinitely!
Most oils are good between 7-10 years. And probably longer than that. But, the oil companies don't measure past that long so, there is no telling.

How many qts &/or jugs are you buying?

BP-Castrol says four years, Exxon-Mobil says five. But people here have used it after 20 years or more and a study done by Blackstone showed that oils as old as 30 years or more still had additives in suspension...

Most likely 4 jugs, and 5 quarts. All come to the same price per quart so i figured individual wouldnt be bad to have handy.

Just enough for 5 oil changes and call it a day. There will be other good sales between now and when Ur done with 5 oil changes

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Most likely 4 jugs, and 5 quarts. All come to the same price per quart so i figured individual wouldnt be bad to have handy.

That's not very much at all... if you drive your car regularly you will use that up quick enough.

No problem

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
BP-Castrol says four years, Exxon-Mobil says five. But people here have used it after 20 years or more and a study done by Blackstone showed that oils as old as 30 years or more still had additives in suspension...

Exactly, for all intents and purposes oil lasts forever.

What one needs to be more concerned about when adding to one's oil stash is the oil becoming obsolete. For example GF-5 oils will soon be replaced by GF-6. As a basic rule of thumb I try not to buy any more oil no matter how tempting the sale than what I will use in the next couple of years.

Get 2 years worth at most.
The fact that you have a BITOG account means you'll want the latest flavor of the month and not be stuck with older technology oil

Last edited:
Everything I buy, no matter what it is, get a purchase date put on it using a Sharpie Marker.

7-14
---------
8-14
---------
9-14

Food in the Pantry,
Automotive Supplies
Paper Towels, Shampoo, etc, etc

Originally Posted By: bionictony
i got to start marking my 150+ quarts of oil. some are in single quart bottles and some are in 5qt jugs

I had that problem with the 12 5qt g-oil 5w30 jugs
(free after mir)

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Everything I buy, no matter what it is, get a purchase date put on it using a Sharpie Marker.

7-14
---------
8-14
---------
9-14

Food in the Pantry,
Automotive Supplies
Paper Towels, Shampoo, etc, etc

Good to know I'm not the only one that does this
thumbsup2.gif

Just make sure they area sealed.

I left a rusty pliers in a tub of M1 synt oil for about 6 month and the additives started to separate. There were white clumps floating around in the oil.

I'm using 8 year old Havoline Synthetic in my Integra right now with full confidence. No problems to report. Stored properly, oil should last a very long time. Edit: I never shake the containers, either.

Actually it's recommended in case the additives have come out of suspension.

You could also not shake it and then look into the bottle to see if there is something adhering to the bottom.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Are you two out on weekend passes or are you always out in public?

You should clarify who you're referring to as it's not obvious and appears to be directed at the last two posters above your comment (I figured out which "two" you're referring to so do not feel insulted!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back