Storing engine parts?

Hi guys,

I want to store a set of camshafts.
As they are prone to rusting, is there a special oil spray I should be using to ensure they don't rust?

The same preservation techniques you would use for firearms should work for a lot of metal engine parts. Lucas makes a red gun oil, and that might be a good start. Coat with gun oil and wrap it in plastic or in a bag. Even ATF would work, I'd think.

Coating them and vacuum bag storage would be the best but if you cant vacuum bag them coat them with Noxudol 700 or 3M and put them in a thick plastic bag and seal them tightly. the Noxudol is better but the 3M stuff is almost as good and also ideal for this job.
Noxudol 700 is a thin, penetrating rust protective compound intended for treatment of the hollow spaces of motor vehicles according to the ML method. In addition it may also be used as transport and storage protection for machines, machine parts, beams, motor parts etc.

Motor oil and bag. Anything else just creates the possibility of scratching a crank journal when removing a coating.

I have some large HD seal bags (think huge freezer bag) from when I worked in a bio-tech facility. I have two Mopar AMC 2.5L Camshafts sitting in each bag with motor oil. They have been in my shed for a decade and have zero corrosion.

As Ruth in Ozark says, "I don't know *^$% about @(%&" in terms of storing engine parts. But if I had to do it on my own, I'd spray them down with WD-40, and put them into double-outdoor garbage bags and squeeze all the air I could out of them.

Motor oil and bag. Anything else just creates the possibility of scratching a crank journal when removing a coating.
Yes, this. Cosmoline in particular is a real pain to remove, and the temptation will be to rush things, which will cause scratches. Use Cosmoline only if you're intending to store those engine parts for your unborn grandkids to use one day.

Ok so I did read some interesting idea's but there are down falls to many of them so be cautious what you choose? Ok so as I engineer and designer of camshafts and camshaft specification for my own company and a well know camshaft manufacture, ;) my recommendation If you want to store any camshaft coat the complete camshaft with assembly lube and then wrap it in wax paper.. Then wrap that in newspaper and then in a cardboard box. Try to at least store it in a dry place in your garage or shop.

When you are reading to use the cam(s) again you could easily clean them but why.... if you applied the assembly lube just install them as is.

A guy I used to work with showed me some collectible Browning shotguns and rifles he owned . He wiped them down with Vaseline and shoved them in a zipper gun case and put them under the bed . They had been stored that way for years and were pristine .

A guy I used to work with showed me some collectible Browning shotguns and rifles he owned . He wiped them down with Vaseline and shoved them in a zipper gun case and put them under the bed . They had been stored that way for years and were pristine .
LOL I don't think even the most hard core enthusiast is going to store automotive cams under their bed. 🤪

Actually it was about using the Vaseline as a cheap but effective metal protector .
My response was more joking...

but to the point of your recommendation for most all camshafts because primarily unlike most ( I use that term loosely) weapon parts unlike most camshafts and how they are manufactured. I would not recomend it!

Last edited:
Back