Stored Vette and SuperTech

[Cool] Sent to me by a friend who is having trouble signing up to BITOG: I have a Corvette with Mobil 1 that has sat all winter without being started. The oil is over a year old, but has less that 1,000 miles on it. I'd like opinions on if the oil is still good still, or has condensation (or the like) ruined the characteristics? A second question is who actually makes the SuperTech oil, and what's the verdict on it?

Patman

Staff member
I'd love to see that guy do an oil analysis on his oil before he decides to dump it. I have a friend who only drives his Mustang about 2k a year, and he only changes the oil every 18-24 months. My question to him is how he can only drive his Vette 1000 miles per year. When I get mine I'll be driving it 1k every 2 weeks! [Smile]

I would probably change out the oil at once a year intervals. I have a car I store for a few months at a time and one thing I do is to disable the ignition and turn the engine over till I get the oil pressure light go off. The oil does drain down and I did notice that when I changed the oil filter (and oil) when it had sat that the oil filter was completely empty of oil. Unfortunately I have to change my oil every six months even if I don't drive the car to comply with the warranty.

"Patman Member # 6 posted July 15, 2004 03:13 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'd love to see that guy do an oil analysis on his oil before he decides to dump it. I have a friend who only drives his Mustang about 2k a year, and he only changes the oil every 18-24 months. My question to him is how he can only drive his Vette 1000 miles per year. When I get mine I'll be driving it 1k every 2 weeks! " Here is an example of low miles and same oil for 1 yr. Amsoil says change 3 times manufacturer change reco or 1 yr. The lab says the oil is still good to use and to re-sample. http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001705