Store Bought Wax vs Boutique Paint Sealant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many of you, I have a huge collection of car care products. Over the years I have tested literally dozens of waxes, polishes, and sealants. I've used everything from waxes bought at Big Lots to exclusive sealants available only from their manufacturer.

My attitude toward "store bought" waxes is they are developed and produced to meet a price point, and to gain shelf space at mass retailers. The actual product in the bottle is compromised to a certain degree in order to meet these marketing parameters. From a business perspective, it is hard to argue with this philosophy. If you want to sell your products to WalMart and the national auto parts chains, you must have a product that meets their criteria in order to get into their product mix.

As serious car enthusiasts, however, sometimes our desire for class-leading products causes us to dismiss retail products simply because we assume they are inferior in performance and technology. In my testing of car care products, I can tell you that within certain price ranges, there is a great sameness to products. Occassionally, one or two stand out and when they do, I like to report on them.

Recently, Mothers sent me a pre-production sample of a new paste-style version of their FX Synwax. They asked me to test it on my vehicles and let them know what I thought. About the same time, I received a sample of a paint sealant that had received many positive reviews. I thought I would do a torture test on my truck to see if the new Mothers product could hold its own against a more expensive, mail order paint sealant.

The sealant I am testing against the Mothers product is Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. You can read about it here: http://www.properautocare.com/blacallfinpa.html I've played with this product off and on for a few months until I decided to see how it stacked up against the new Mothers product.

The test vehicle is my 2004 GMC Sierra. I applied two coats of each product to the hood and front fenders, with the drivers side coated in Blackfire and the passengers side in Mothers. I prepped the paint by claying and polishing with Meguiars M205, followed by an IPA wipedown.

It has been about 6 weeks since I first applied the products. Since then the truck has seen only hand washes. No QD, no spray waxes or spray sealants, no "freshen up's". My goal was to compare them fairly, side by side, to see if a product which will be sold at mass retail can compete with a boutique-style paint sealant.

In this first pic, all I did was lightly spray water onto the hood. The goal was to replicate a light rain shower, to show if the products were still beading after 6 weeks.

mothersblackfire006.jpg

I then decided to hit each side with a strong spray of water. This really shows off the differences of the two products. First, the Mothers Synwax side:

mothersblackfire009.jpg

Next, the Blackfire Wet Diamond side:

mothersblackfire010.jpg

You see that? The Mothers Synwax is sheeting water, while the Blackfire Wet Diamond is beading water. While I have not spoken to chemists from either company, it seems to me these products were designed to do this.

When I stopped spraying water onto the hood, I watched to see how the water would react to the products. Look at the Mothers side (passenger's) versus the Blackfire side:

mothersblackfire004.jpg

mothersblackfire011.jpg

mothersblackfire012.jpg

Note that the Synwax sheeted water until most of it ran off the surface. The Blackfire side continued to bead water although the bulk of it ran off, too. The time elapsed from the first to the last pic is approx 45 seconds.

Finally, I trickled water on the hood to remove most of the water droplets. I wanted to see how dry the hood would be, a good sign of surface tension and a way to see if the wax is still holding up:

mothersblackfire014.jpg

mothersblackfire016.jpg

As you can see, each product is different in how it reacts to water. However, the end result is virtually the same. Both sides show equal gloss after 6 weeks, the slick feel is about the same as well. My experience is Blackfire holds up for about 3 months. If the Mothers Synwax paste can hold its own against an expensive paint sealant, it might be worth checking out and recommending to friends who will not pay big bucks for a mail order paint sealant.

I am extending this test to other parts of my truck. I did some polishing today with Meguiars Ultimate Compound (review coming soon). I applied a coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond to the rear half of the truck bed, and a coat of Mothers FX Synwax paste to the front half:

mothersblackfire018.jpg

I'll torture test these products throughout the winter to see which holds up better to rain, dirt, and road grime.

Hope y'all found this interesting. Feel free to hit me with comments, questions, and suggestions.

Cool test. I wish I could bring myself to clean and wax my car again. I know if I try to though Ill go OCD and I won't be able to drive it for two or three days before I finish it. So I just bring it to the local touchless wash occasionally. :/

Water beading is much like color of oil it means very little. A few year back meguires had a product that would not bead up. People not understanding that beading means nothing called amd wrote in complaining. After so many complaints Meguires had to add the beading additive to ensure customer confidence. beading water has been a marketing tool of many wax companies for years.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-152.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, Bret.

Can you tell me what Meguiars M205 is? IPA? (I was thinking India Pale Ale but I knew you would not waste good brew on an automotive finish!).

Having just detailed my "new" 2005 Accord, I would prefer something that lasted longer than three months, hence, my use of Collinite Insulator wax as the finishing coat.

Collonite, Color-X and Rejex are my favorites. Color-X did as good a job as a paint cleaner and polish only it accomplished it in one application.

Thank you Bret. Interesting results.

dkryan.....IPA is isopropyl alcohol.

In the 60's here in Michigan. I applied 3 coats of Zaino Z2 to my daily driver today. Spring/fall detailing is all she gets.

Suggestions: You need to put some "detailing effort" into your lawn!!!

Take care.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Thanks for the post, Bret.

Can you tell me what Meguiars M205 is? IPA? (I was thinking India Pale Ale but I knew you would not waste good brew on an automotive finish!).

Having just detailed my "new" 2005 Accord, I would prefer something that lasted longer than three months, hence, my use of Collinite Insulator wax as the finishing coat.

Meguiars M205 is a new light finishing polish offered in their Mirror Glaze product line. It's made for machine use but can be used by hand. It uses Meguiars new abrasive technology, has a long work time, dusts very little, and leave a very glossy finish. It's designed to be used after their M105 Ultra Cut polish, but I used it as a stand alone here.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Water beading is much like color of oil it means very little. A few year back meguires had a product that would not bead up. People not understanding that beading means nothing called amd wrote in complaining. After so many complaints Meguires had to add the beading additive to ensure customer confidence. beading water has been a marketing tool of many wax companies for years.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-152.html

This topic is a huge can of worm disguised as a car wax. A lot of car care companies, Meguiar's in particular, have used the effect of water beading as a marketing and product promotional tool. Having been an avid car detailer for over 25 years, I can tell you that most car care products mfr's will tell you whatever you want to hear regarding water beading. They will make every assurance imaginable if it means you will buy their product.

One of the reasons I switched to Zaino some years ago was because their sealants were designed to bead water as a sign of product durability and protection. Since there is no wax or oils in Zaino, the beading effect was engineered into the product from the onset. With most other waxes, beading is a side effect and not indicative of actual protection.

The concept of car wax and water beading is one of the fundamental lies of the car care products industry. Took me 20 years to learn that lesson.

Will you provide details on the IPA wipedown & why you included this step? What % IPA?

Is properautocare.com where you purchase most of your detailing supplies?

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Will you provide details on the IPA wipedown & why you included this step? What % IPA?

Is properautocare.com where you purchase most of your detailing supplies?

I use IPA to remove any polishing oils or residue left from the polishing process. Those things tend to interfere with the durability of the wax or sealant. They also fill light swirls when I want to ensure swirls are completely removed, not just covered up.

The mix I use is 50/50 with water. I buy 91% IPA.

I get some items from CMA, but tend to buy from whomever has what I need at a price I want to pay. CMA is a great choice because their customer service is top notch and I know if I have a problem, all I have to do is call them and it's taken care of.

Bret,

Your response to benjamming opens up about two or three dozen questions for me, but I'll limit them to a couple of questions.

You used IPA so as not to have any of the polishing oils or residue interfere with the test results of the products you were testing?

Do the polishing oils/residue interfere with the wax bonding with the paint, hence, less durability? One would think the manufacturer would know that and make adjustments accordingly.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Bret,

Your response to benjamming opens up about two or three dozen questions for me, but I'll limit them to a couple of questions.

You used IPA so as not to have any of the polishing oils or residue interfere with the test results of the products you were testing?

Correct.

Quote:
Do the polishing oils/residue interfere with the wax bonding with the paint, hence, less durability? One would think the manufacturer would know that and make adjustments accordingly.

Depends on the wax. Some have cleaners (chemical or mechanical) that would remove any polish residue. Most water-based paint sealants have no ability to remove oils or fillers, so their performance is compromised if the oily stuff is left on the paint. A polymer sealant needs a clean, oil free surface to ensure bonding and crosslinking for max durability.

Feel free to PM or email me with questions, if you like. I'll do my best to answer them.

As a fellow detailer I also had my nose in the air concerning most OTC products for far too long. It can be an expensive lesson indeed. From glass cleaner to compounds & polishes, the "store bought" items have come a long way since the days of Simonize paste wax. I look forward to your continued testing.

Although we'll never see it (due to marketing) the correct labeling of a product would help most novices know what they are actually buying. Many products called "wax" contain none whatsoever. Some superb sealants (Duragloss comes to mind) have "polish" on the label but they are not a polish at all, Aquawax is a spray on wipe off sealant but contains zero wax.....the list is endless. It takes a lot of work, phone calls, and research to find out what some products actually are, not just what it says on the label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back