Storage of oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is detrimental to store engine oil for a long period of times ?
I'm talking here 1or 2 years,of course with the containers still with the factory seal ?

[ May 30, 2003, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Baveux ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Most experts agree that oil has a shelf life of roughly 4 years so you should be safe.

Holy cow!! I thought it was much longer than that! Is it different for dino vs syn? And how are you gonna get thru 58qts (plus all those additives) in less than 4yrs?

quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Most experts agree that oil has a shelf life of roughly 4 years so you should be safe.

Holy cow!! I thought it was much longer than that! Is it different for dino vs syn? And how are you gonna get thru 58qts (plus all those additives) in less than 4yrs?

I'll use up my supply of oil in about a year. Keep in mind that supply is to feed 4 different cars.

I've never met an expert that could give a precise answer to this question based on anything other than their own personal hypothesis but 1-2 years should be perfectly safe IMHO (if you leave it outside for the winter in Canada, all bets are off!
tongue.gif
). Oils are homogeneous mixtures so in theory nothing should precipiatate out. That being said, I've seen it happen. The real question, especially for people frequenting this board who tend to be highly analytical and cognizant of the performance of what they put in their engine, is...would you really want to put five-year-old or ten-year-old oil in your car?

"Lifted" from the Mobil web site Material and Safety Data Sheet for 10W-30 weight Mobile Drive Clean oil:

"10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
-------------------------------------------------

STABILITY (THERMAL, LIGHT, ETC.): Stable.
CONDITIONS TO AVOID: Extreme heat and high energy sources of ignition.
INCOMPATIBILITY (MATERIALS TO AVOID): Strong oxidizers.
HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS: Product does not decompose at ambient temperatures. [emphasis mine]
HAZARDOUS POLYMERIZATION: Will not occur. [empahsis mine]"

Remember, this data is for finished product, not just the base stocks. Stocking up at a favorable price would leave the purchaser more exposed to having some to use after the next API/ILSAC spec is released than any "spoilage" that might occur with blender-sealed product - particularly since Mobil says the stuff is essentially stable at ambient temperatures indefinitely. I doubt that other brands are any different in that regard. (The raw stuff was in storage at hellish temperatures for several million years...)

[ May 30, 2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back