Stongest Filter Body? 💪

Champion Labs, Baldwin and Wix all seem to have thicker cans.

I always seem to have the easiest time crossing hydraulic filter numbers to Wix, and they are easy to get from Napa.

Genuine Kubota seems to have the thickest can of everything I've used.

I have a hunch they're made by Denso judging by their base plate design.

I'm not debating that the design is less than desirable, but doesn't the splitter part actually rotate so that the splitter is vertical when splitting wood? My grandfather has one just like this (same design...different brand) and I can't ever remember hitting the filter or anything behind the main cross beam. We ran the splitter vertically though. I may be dense on this one...haven't cut wood in a long time, but it feels like from the pic that the wood would never come close to hitting the hydraulics or filter if you're rotating the splitter.

You'd be able to run horizontal or vertical. Vertical would be more for the heavy stuff that you wouldn't/ couldn't pick up.

Is it possible to flip it over so the filter is on the bottom? That is a pretty nasty position for it.

Baldwin and German-made Mann-Hummel are typically built like tanks.

But I agree...that filter is just ASKING to get lobbed off with a rogue log. Relocate it or fab' up a guard for it.

Federal Mogul Champions are legit some of the tankiest feeling filters I've ever felt. Silicone ADBV and dirt cheap at times too

That is a candidate for a remote filter kit or sure lol.

K&N and Fram racing filters have thicker cans to handle increased oil pressures - may want to try those. Another idea would be to find one of those chrome covers that go over filters to dress up engine compartments. That would surely be a very thick and strong additional protection.

Like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...iqPT26AIVF8DICh0r0A1JEAQYASABEgIQafD_BwE

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Eddie
I the filter can is too strong then you might loose the filter attaching hardware. Plan on building a shield. Ed

Can you explain that? I am having a hard time seeing how a filter can thickness can effect the mounting of the filter mounting. If you are referring to possibly damaging the filter mounting by taking off a too tight filter, well that can happen with any filter regardless of can thickness. The additional thickness of the metal of the can is measured in mils and is still correct for whatever application being used on.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I the filter can is too strong then you might loose the filter attaching hardware. Plan on building a shield. Ed

Can you explain that? I am having a hard time seeing how a filter can thickness can effect the mounting of the filter mounting. If you are referring to possibly damaging the filter mounting by taking off a too tight filter, well that can happen with any filter regardless of can thickness. The additional thickness of the metal of the can is measured in mils and is still correct for whatever application being used on.

It's on a log splitter. The filter is mounted in an exposed location, with a mounting plate bolted to a frame piece.

Take a look at the earlier posted picture, it'll make sense.

I would relocate the filter or build a shield. A stronger filter body won't mitigate the risk enough...

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by GMBoy

It's on a log splitter. The filter is mounted in an exposed location, with a mounting plate bolted to a frame piece.

Take a look at the earlier posted picture, it'll make sense.

I would relocate the filter or build a shield. A stronger filter body won't mitigate the risk enough...

I saw the photo and I agree it is a terrible location for a filter. Yes now I understand what he was saying. Thank you!

Filters with thick 0.020 inch case thicknesses (versus 0.015 in.) include Mobil-1, Bosch Distance Plus, and the Purolator Boss.

Baldwin might be there or in that vicinity. There might be others.

I want an oil filter with a 1 inch thick case - the thicker the case, the better!

Ok, let's be serious now - do any of us have case fatigue life testing data showing the design life versus case thickness for oil filters? Then it's not relevant to say thick = good. The design question is how thick is thick enough without adding unnecessary, wasted material and cost? Design for cost was among the many design requirements for our Design Engineers. I've never seen a filter canister fail, tear, or leak in 45 years of self oil changing. I know that doesn't mean everyone else's experience is the same, but it does mean using a quality rep. brand should minimize risk of failure.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
I want an oil filter with a 1 inch thick case - the thicker the case, the better!

Ok, let's be serious now - do any of us have case fatigue life testing data showing the design life versus case thickness for oil filters? Then it's not relevant to say thick = good. The design question is how thick is thick enough without adding unnecessary, wasted material and cost? Design for cost was among the many design requirements for our Design Engineers. I've never seen a filter canister fail, tear, or leak in 45 years of self oil changing. I know that doesn't mean everyone else's experience is the same, but it does mean using a quality rep. brand should minimize risk of failure.

I take it you didn't read the originating post?

Originally Posted by PimTac

I take it you didn't read the originating post?

I did. Did you read mine? Any more snark?

How many were in danger from a falling log?

The OP was asking about filter can strength due to potential of impact on his log splitter.
(very exposed location).
He could make a guard or move the filter to a safer place.

Back