Stolen Valor

IMO the worst are former military who embellish or simply lie about what they did. They know enough to pass themselves off to just about any civilian. I have an ace up my sleeve for one particular family member (USMC ret) and I think he knows that I came to the realization that he's FOS.

Last edited:
No, wasn't implying any party affiliation at all.... I think most of them on all sides are unethical, but I do have a sore spot for your Senator after his crass, opportunistic, attention grabbing almost ghoulish in its timing reaction and proclamations after the Nine-O-Nine tragedy...but I took that a bit personally..
Somewhat off topic.....but I would LOVE to have some of your car collection!!! TR6 and an old 2002! The Land Rovers too!
Makes me miss my old 73 Triumph Stag.
IMO the worst are former military who embellish or simply lie about what they did. They know enough to pass themselves off to just about any civilian. I have an ace up my sleeve for one particular family member and I think he knows that I came to the realization that he's FOS.
My father was in the Army in WW2 His brother was on the Arizona....its strange seeing his name on the list of the dead....Since they had moved to the US from Northern Ireland in 1922 no state is listed. He never talked about his time as an Army Ranger in the Philippines and he took place in "the great raid" in 1945. Since he was a big Irish lad at 6'3 he carried the BAR or a Grease Gun. It was just a few months before he died in 1982 that he told us much of anything he had done...I asked him dad why did you wait till you are dying before telling all this...he just I dont know I still have a hard time with it....my way of dealing with was just to act like it never happened. He was hit in the back with shrapnel in the back of his right leg and shoulder on Feb 3nd 1945 the war was over for him....
The point is most that were really there dont talk it ....at all.

My best man was a navy seal … did combat. We were very close and he’d tell me a bit more of the messy stuff. Sure, he did not talk about ugly details in a group setting … but he did like to talk about the lighter side of his travels - funny things you see in some places.
Now, if he ran for public office … bet he’d mention seal duty, all red, white, blue - those folks want to win.

The Supreme Court ruled the Stolen Valor act was unconstitutional. That was about ten years ago. I don’t know what happened after that. I do know here in NH you see beggars at every highway off ramp and mall entrance, half of them claiming to be homeless vets. It sprung up almost overnight a few years ago.
I think I can take a guess where you are talking about.
As far as Stolen Valor, it makes me sick. I served in the 9/11 timeframe, and it did NOT involve combat. When people ask, I wouldn't imagine making up anything.

Always going to be people out there that want you to think they were something they were not. To me the stolen valor ones are the worse.

Always going to be people out there that want you to think they were something they were not. To me the stolen valor ones are the worse.
You got to hand it to Jessica Lynch she set the record straight on what the Army made up as a big lie.

Somewhat off topic.....but I would LOVE to have some of your car collection!!! TR6 and an old 2002! The Land Rovers too!
Makes me miss my old 73 Triumph Stag.

My father was in the Army in WW2 His brother was on the Arizona....its strange seeing his name on the list of the dead....Since they had moved to the US from Northern Ireland in 1922 no state is listed. He never talked about his time as an Army Ranger in the Philippines and he took place in "the great raid" in 1945. Since he was a big Irish lad at 6'3 he carried the BAR or a Grease Gun. It was just a few months before he died in 1982 that he told us much of anything he had done...I asked him dad why did you wait till you are dying before telling all this...he just I dont know I still have a hard time with it....my way of dealing with was just to act like it never happened. He was hit in the back with shrapnel in the back of his right leg and shoulder on Feb 3nd 1945 the war was over for him....
The point is most that were really there dont talk it ....at all.
My father served in WW2. He never talked about it. As part of a school project, I was supposed to interview family members about military service. My father told me was a private in the Army and served as an anti-aircraft gunner in the Philippines. And that was all he had to say about his military service. Asked my maternal grandfather about his military service and he said he served in WW1 over in Europe just a few years after emigrating to to the USA. And that was all he had to say about that. I asked about foxholes and trenches but he just shook his head and went back to reading his newspaper.

Only one I ever heard any war stories from was a vet that served with Bill Blass in the Ghost Army 23rd. He had some good stories. He had a small handmade book with caricatures and blurb of each member of the troop including himself. Bill Blass was drawn all duded up with an ascot and fancy dress. Not surprising he went on to be a clothing designer.

A friend of mine told me about the big distinction between two vets he knew. One guy was very outspoken about his exploits during the war (I'm guessing Vietnam). Turns out the outspoken guy tended a generator plant and was never involved in combat. Then the other guy was quiet, never talked about his military experience, and pretty laid back. One day a machine broke down at my friend's work and made a distinct pop, like a gunshot. Quiet guy stiffened, looked like he was about to take action, and had to regain his composure. Turns out he had been a sharpshooter. A pretty good one, it turned out.

He served in combat. Earned the CIB and a Bronze Star.

Nothing stolen or unethical about that.
Never claimed it was; I was claiming misrepresentation of service is and is not limited to a particular party.

edit: It is like saying "I got an honorable discharge" when in fact some one was discharged "under honorable circumstances"

People who served know the difference. His situation is similar IMHO. JMO of course.

Last edited:
Long story but I was asked to help pad out a group marching in a Veterans Day parade. I didn't specifically put myself out as any kind of veteran. They were also padding out the group with the wives of veterans and even a few kids. Does that count?

My father served in WW2. He never talked about it. As part of a school project, I was supposed to interview family members about military service. My father told me was a private in the Army and served as an anti-aircraft gunner in the Philippines. And that was all he had to say about his military service. Asked my maternal grandfather about his military service and he said he served in WW1 over in Europe just a few years after emigrating to to the USA. And that was all he had to say about that. I asked about foxholes and trenches but he just shook his head and went back to reading his newspaper.

Only one I ever heard any war stories from was a vet that served with Bill Blass in the Ghost Army 23rd. He had some good stories. He had a small handmade book with caricatures and blurb of each member of the troop including himself. Bill Blass was drawn all duded up with an ascot and fancy dress. Not surprising he went on to be a clothing designer.

I’m a little perplexed by the story about the stolen valor guys going so far as to join a PTSD group therapy session. Now that is some messed up stuff.

Speaking of Bill Blass, Dad was in the Army with Oleg Cassini. Said he was a good soldier.

Quote:
I’m a little perplexed by the story about the stolen valor guys going so far as to join a PTSD group therapy session. Now that is some messed up stuff.

Thats very sick and demented. Hopefully they get their **** kicked and really need PTSD therapy .

Last edited:
Veterans get a massive social pump from their service ("22 a day" advertisements all over, special hotlines, discounts galore, special accommodations with insurance/banking, etc). Some people see that and want the same and will lie to get it.

Speaking of Bill Blass, Dad was in the Army with Oleg Cassini. Said he was a good soldier.
You can't "JUST JOIN" a PTSD group. A Dr. (in my case a military Dr.), diagnoses someone for PTSD. He/she does a very thorough background check of your military record and history. They also put you thru a battery of tests to evaluate you mental stability. They can clearly see thru someone that is faking or making things up. Some that are classified as having PTSD get to the therapy sessions and start building up their military history-AKA-STOLEN VALOR.

Reactions: Ws6
You can't "JUST JOIN" a PTSD group. A Dr. (in my case a military Dr.), diagnoses someone for PTSD. He/she does a very thorough background check of your military record and history. They also put you thru a battery of tests to evaluate you mental stability. They can clearly see thru someone that is faking or making things up. Some that are classified as having PTSD get to the therapy sessions and start building up their military history-AKA-STOLEN VALOR.
One thing about PTSD is that many things cause it, and many people manifest it differently. It's not as cut and dried as something like mitral valve regurgitation or something easily measured. A lot of people have misconceptions about PTSD, which is why I bring this up.

Back