Stolen Battery-New one on Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Driz
Here's a new consequence of the woke society you won't expect. Those wonder cars with the start stop use a special battery to make up for the abuse of starting at every light. I can't speak for the rest but at least for the 18 up Camrays the dealers can't get the battery's without weeks long backorder. Some guy is on the Camray forum wild because his new OEM and the dealer can't get a battery for several weeks. They won't put a temporary loaner in for him either. From what they are saying there's a back log on these and manufacturing just can't get caught up .
Another senseless thing to worry about. You can bet that the hood rats will be catching on soon too. They'll know how to get in there lock or not. I wonder when the great starter shortage is going to begin🥵 .

Can't speak for the Toyota "special battery" but my 2019 Honda Pilot has the Start/Stop feature. The factory equipped "special battery" is nothing more than an AGM battery. The Pilots without the Start/Stop feature come equipped from the factory with a flooded lead battery.

I've had tools stolen, even from the base hobby shop of all places! I've had my "STI" center-caps from my BBS wheels taken out, though luckily the wheels were left alone. My gf's sister in high school had the OEM wheels on her 2nd gen Mitsubishi Eclipse stolen; we came out to her car teetering on two cinder-blocks. I've been keyed in city where I know no one. I had my newish bike stolen off of a hidden deck the one weekend I went away and forgot to lock it; etc.

There's only so much you can, such as making sure things are latched and locked, but there's also a certain level of trust you have in your surroundings. I wasn't surprised by some of the losses I had in the past, based on where I was and its proximity to people of lower socio-economic means (and morals, apparently), but some of my losses occurred in very unlikely places, such as on-base.

//

For those of you who have shed(s) out in your yard: how easy would it be to break in and steal the likely valuable things you have in there? I'd bet that most of us would be out a grand or more in tools and equipment if a thief with some bolt-cutters came through a "safe" neighborhood one night. I'm honestly surprised I don't hear about it more often.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by Onetor
There are no consequences for property crimes. It's a trend around our Country.

God Bless Texas...in that state you can defend your car and other property with deadly force, unfortunately those are the only consequences that many thieves will ever understand, and I fully support paying the ultimate price for stealing cars, TVs, ect... The only sympathy I have is if a poor person steals a loaf of bread and some cold cuts.

How are you to know what that poor person is going through as you gun him or her down for petty stealing from you? Seems a bit extreme to WANT to kill someone over petty theft. I've honestly had feelings of wanting to beat the poop out of someone when I find someone of mine stolen, but NEVER have I ever felt that they should be killed over it.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
And once they steal the one that was in there... they'll come back a few weeks/months later and try to steal the new battery.

They know exactly where to find a brand new battery later on.
That didn't work for me, I tied the hood down with a piece of chain & padlock after that.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I've had tools stolen, even from the base hobby shop of all places! I've had my "STI" center-caps from my BBS wheels taken out, though luckily the wheels were left alone. My gf's sister in high school had the OEM wheels on her 2nd gen Mitsubishi Eclipse stolen; we came out to her car teetering on two cinder-blocks. I've been keyed in city where I know no one. I had my newish bike stolen off of a hidden deck the one weekend I went away and forgot to lock it; etc.

There's only so much you can, such as making sure things are latched and locked, but there's also a certain level of trust you have in your surroundings. I wasn't surprised by some of the losses I had in the past, based on where I was and its proximity to people of lower socio-economic means (and morals, apparently), but some of my losses occurred in very unlikely places, such as on-base.

//

For those of you who have shed(s) out in your yard: how easy would it be to break in and steal the likely valuable things you have in there? I'd bet that most of us would be out a grand or more in tools and equipment if a thief with some bolt-cutters came through a "safe" neighborhood one night. I'm honestly surprised I don't hear about it more often.

God Bless Texas...in that state you can defend your car and other property with deadly force, unfortunately those are the only consequences that many thieves will ever understand, and I fully support paying the ultimate price for stealing cars, TVs, ect... The only sympathy I have is if a poor person steals a loaf of bread and some cold cuts.

How are you to know what that poor person is going through as you gun him or her down for petty stealing from you? Seems a bit extreme to WANT to kill someone over petty theft. I've honestly had feelings of wanting to beat the poop out of someone when I find someone of mine stolen, but NEVER have I ever felt that they should be killed over it.
When my battery was stolen, the thief wouldn't have died, but he sure would have never tried it again!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

//

When my battery was stolen, the thief wouldn't have died, but he sure would have never tried it again!

But unfortunately in this country these days, YOU would probably be going to jail too.

Originally Posted by Driz
Here's a new consequence of the woke society you won't expect. Those wonder cars with the start stop use a special battery to make up for the abuse of starting at every light. I can't speak for the rest but at least for the 18 up Camrays the dealers can't get the battery's without weeks long backorder. Some guy is on the Camray forum wild because his new OEM and the dealer can't get a battery for several weeks. They won't put a temporary loaner in for him either. From what they are saying there's a back log on these and manufacturing just can't get caught up .
Another senseless thing to worry about. You can bet that the hood rats will be catching on soon too. They'll know how to get in there lock or not. I wonder when the great starter shortage is going to begin🥵 .

Plugged my new Rav4 into autozone's website and they have plenty of compatible batteries.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
My dad had a 1963 MGB- he came out one time, probably about 1985, and the MG would not start and had dead electrics. He found that somebody had popped the hood and stolen his generator off of the engine. (he swore it was a generator, not an alternator).

A '63 would have come from the factory with a generator. They went to alternators in '68, which also coincided with a change to negative ground and a whole lot of other changes.

A lot of the early ones have been converted to alternators(which also generally requires a conversion to negative ground also) but I also know plenty of people who still run a generator. In good condition, they're mostly okay as long as your electrical system is pretty well bone stock and you don't want to put a crazy amount of load on it. Unfortunately, at least at idle, even the first model alternator used on the cars can't keep up with the headlights, heater blower, windshield wipers, brake lights, and turn signals-I run the higher capacity alternator that started being used in the mid-70s for that reason.

I do not think he converted the car after that- just replaced the generator. It still had 2 x 6v batteries, and I think he said it had "positive" ground ?

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
My dad had a 1963 MGB- he came out one time, probably about 1985, and the MG would not start and had dead electrics. He found that somebody had popped the hood and stolen his generator off of the engine. (he swore it was a generator, not an alternator).

A '63 would have come from the factory with a generator. They went to alternators in '68, which also coincided with a change to negative ground and a whole lot of other changes.

A lot of the early ones have been converted to alternators(which also generally requires a conversion to negative ground also) but I also know plenty of people who still run a generator. In good condition, they're mostly okay as long as your electrical system is pretty well bone stock and you don't want to put a crazy amount of load on it. Unfortunately, at least at idle, even the first model alternator used on the cars can't keep up with the headlights, heater blower, windshield wipers, brake lights, and turn signals-I run the higher capacity alternator that started being used in the mid-70s for that reason.

I do not think he converted the car after that- just replaced the generator. It still had 2 x 6v batteries, and I think he said it had "positive" ground ?

Sounds correct.

Up until 74 or so, the factory used 2x 6V batteries in series. Since the batteries are in wells behind the seats, it was claimed that the dual battery set-up gave better balance/handling. Like a lot of the cars that shipped with dual batteries, mine now has a single 26R behind the passenger seat. The 6V batteries are available if you want them-the only ready source I know of charges around $200 each and ships them dry for you to add acid yourself. I've never seen any point, especially as a modern 26R can reliably deliver 500+ CCAs, and the old tar top 6V cells are around 350 CCA.

Positive ground(or "positive earth") was used from the start of production to the end of the '67 m/y. '68 on up went to negative.

Originally Posted by atikovi

But unfortunately in this country these days, YOU would probably be going to jail too.

Which is why you need to make sure his body is never found.

I

Why should I care?

Unless you are starving or hungry I have NO sympathy for thieves.

If you are in the USA or even many second world countries help is there just for the asking.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by atikovi

Which is why you need to make sure his body is never found.

Yep. The best way to dispense Justice with a capital J is quickly and discretely.

The wheels were stolen off a brand new not even for sale Corvette today in Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back